Single dog or duo

Help Support CattleToday:

NiceFarmer31

Reaction score
Which work better for a goat farm with some rabbits and chicken ?
Any suggestion. Goats are mostly intensive and allowed to graze some times

Single dog

When you introduce the dog to grown nannies be there with a broom or rake- and back the dog up by making them move away yurself till they learn they just need to move and don't need to worry and stand and fight to the death. Goat horns are murder on a young dog. It takes them time to figure out how to go under them and get the nose tucked between their legs.
Fresh Goats are harder on a dog than the rankest cattle I have ever seen.

? Why would anyone advise just one? Dogs need to rest sometimes! They cannot be on duty 24/7.
ALWAYS two are better--but NOT two puppies!

I respectfully disagree.

Generally speaking, if you want a happy, healthy, "professional" quality dog, stick with one. A working dog is happiest when they are partnered with a human that actually with them daily. Any temporary rest they need is the responsibility of the human partner to provide (in the field) and doesn't require days of rest if it's regular work. Training is best if repetitive, regular, always the same and always the same human partner.

I was partnered with my Service Dog for 12.5 years. No two dogs could have provided me with such perfect service on a daily basis. Police protection dogs are partnered with one human partner to maintain training levels. Same for Bomb dogs and Drug dogs. There is no reason to have less in our work.

By the way, a partnered dog will often suffer separation anxiety if/when the human partner leaves them behind. They can't understand what they did wrong and why they are being punished by being left behind. That is one of the reasons why a Service Dog is allowed to sleep in the hospital room when their human partner is there. Sometimes it needs to be about what is best for them, which always ends up being the best for us. :2cents:

A beginner is going to have a hard enough time with a single dog
Multiples come AFTER you master using one

Gimpy- with herding
using multiple dogs at the same time is common- and in some hard situations or long days-- necessary.

gimpyrancher":1f80cb7v said:
I respectfully disagree.

Generally speaking, if you want a happy, healthy, "professional" quality dog, stick with one. A working dog is happiest when they are partnered with a human that actually with them daily. Any temporary rest they need is the responsibility of the human partner to provide (in the field) and doesn't require days of rest if it's regular work. Training is best if repetitive, regular, always the same and always the same human partner.

I was partnered with my Service Dog for 12.5 years. No two dogs could have provided me with such perfect service on a daily basis. Police protection dogs are partnered with one human partner to maintain training levels. Same for Bomb dogs and Drug dogs. There is no reason to have less in our work.

By the way, a partnered dog will often suffer separation anxiety if/when the human partner leaves them behind. They can't understand what they did wrong and why they are being punished by being left behind. That is one of the reasons why a Service Dog is allowed to sleep in the hospital room when their human partner is there. Sometimes it needs to be about what is best for them, which always ends up being the best for us. :2cents:

It's late and I'm not firing on all cylinders, but a guard dog for goats is NOT the same thing as a service dog for law enforcement. The whole point of a guard dog for goats is that the dog stays with the goats 24/7, whereas a service dog assists and spends most of his/her days with a human partner. I'm confused as to why you would compare one to the other - it's apples and oranges. Please clarify? Thanks.

Latest posts