Since nobody wanted to play

Help Support CattleToday:

Which one or ones are the half Simmenthal?

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 60.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
What do you think Dun. One person got it right I think. Are you going to let everybody else of the hook and give them the answer?

This quiz is more fun than a barrel of monkey.

dun":2vxl2f50 said:
I was hoping that some of the people that said it was easy to tell Hereford from Simmenthal sired calves would respond.

#1,2 and 4 are sired by VPI Limited Edition J921 AHA P42039770
http://www.agserver.net/windyridge/images/bulls/vpi.jpg

#3 is sired by SSS-SCF Autobahn 020G ASA 1970726
http://www.agserver.net/windyridge/imag ... tobahn.jpg

Most of the people on here spotted that #3 calf as a Simmental. The trouble most of us had was adding a calf that wasn't a Simm. I myself missed the #1 calf. ~3/4s of us had 75% accuracy which is pretty good with baby calves. I think accuracy would improve slightly with older calves.

Brandonm2":3o9qiyn9 said:
Most of the people on here spotted that #3 calf as a Simmental. The trouble most of us had was adding a calf that wasn't a Simm. I myself missed the #1 calf. ~3/4s of us had 75% accuracy which is pretty good with baby calves. I think accuracy would improve slightly with older calves.

The point I was tring to make is that you can't tell the breeding by facial markings in all cases. There are too many vafiables on how the genes line up. At first I was only going to do the #3 and 4 calf. But since the other 2 are by the same bull as #4 I decided to throw a little more crap in to pot.

dun

I don't usually participate in these quizzes, but here goes -

1st calf is Simmental sired
2nd calf is Hereford sired
3rd calf is Simmental sired
4th calf is Simmental sired

i dont think dun really knows. i think one of his simmental bulls jumped out the tank while he was gone fishing or something.

This calf is a sort of brother/cousin/uncle to the black calf #3.

Sired by the same Simmenthal bull out of a daughter of #3s mother and sired by Hoffs Northlander.

emmett.jpg

I was going to guess the same as msscamp:

#1- Simmy
#2- Herf
#3 & #4- Simmy

Any of our Simmy's seem to throw the blazes and straighter lines, like square shapes and whatnot. Jagged-type brockles like the #2 calf usually come from our Hereford-cross OR Shorthorn-cross cows.

very good post dun i enjoyed that, i arrived to late to guess. i would have said all simmi but #2, can't tell by looking.

Well dun to be honest with you i dident guess cause i coun't tell.But i do know you got some fine looking calf,s
rattler

Dun,

Quite a while back you mentioned that you had some Autobahn calves. Do you have any of his daughters in production? If so, how do you like them.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of his?

Thanks!

UG

Only bulls from him. We'll be putting one in the freezer the 18th of August. He's the black mottle faced picture. The other one we have is the black baldy calf in the other pictures.

dun

This is super old... But wanted to put in my :2cents:
I figured it was #3.
It's the ears!!
Otherwise I was at a loss until I took a look at those :)
Simmys always have magnificent large ears. Love them, makes them look cute when clipped and left with those big fluffy things, lol.

Have a BWF yearling heifer from that Simmy bull from a nice cow family. I can't wait to see her raising calves!

Latest posts