Simmentals. Legacy Outcrosses?

Help Support CattleToday:

karlie45

Reaction score
We have a small group of Fall Heifers from Nichols Legacy on the ground. They are square hipped, and long boddied. Strong backed heifers.

They are lacking in depth, and some are a little coarse shouldered.

One heifer toes out slightly off of her front end.

So....Im looking for a good Simmental bull. Polled, Preferably black. Who sires correct moving calves, with depth to spare. Fast, easy growers and added thickness would be nice.

If anyone has any great A.I. bulls in mind. Please, send them my way.

you can't keep adding thickness and expect the shoulders to go away.

Shouldn't females look feminine?

karlie45":ck9u8fbx said:
We have a small group of Fall Heifers from Nichols Legacy on the ground. They are square hipped, and long boddied. Strong backed heifers.

They are lacking in depth, and some are a little coarse shouldered.

One heifer toes out slightly off of her front end.

So....Im looking for a good Simmental bull. Polled, Preferably black. Who sires correct moving calves, with depth to spare. Fast, easy growers and added thickness would be nice.

If anyone has any great A.I. bulls in mind. Please, send them my way.

Typically Legacy throws good females so them being coarse shouldered is a little weird. If you are looking to produce females try Shoestrings JW Taylor a line bred (Black Irish Kansas Bull) or perhaps Brooks Above Par, either one of these should work great over Legacy.

Hope this helps.

The Legacy females are usually moderate and attractive. I am surprised that you have had any with course shoulders but a lot depends on the cow. Mo Better, Fortune 500, RC Gridmaster, Lucky Break would all be out cross to Legacy and will make some very fancy females. We have used all of these bulls on heifers with no assists. The Dream On calves are really fancy but you probably shouldn't use him since he is a Legacy son. Good luck.

I went out and looked at them again, and I can only see one being coarse shouldered (the same one that toes out.) ...so I guess that really isnt a big problem.
Anyway, Thanks for the comments. We will take a look at those bulls everyone suggested.

Legacy calves are generally long bodied, but I agree they need depth.

Mo Better is getting popular.. I also like CNS Power Source or KSU Venom (similar bloodlines). Or the always popular Black Joker would work.

Latest posts