HPF - End of a Legacy

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":2nzbxejk said:
The HP farm is willed to a park, from what I read. That is a reason they are selling, the farm is being turned into a park, according to Rockefeller's wishes. They sold the Colorado herd some time ago (earlier this year I think). Miranda seemed to always be involved, she was at all the major shows with the cattle.

That farm is the historic setting for Washington Irving's Classic 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow'. That is the origin of the farm's name, 'Sleepy Hollow Farm'.

It's unfortunate to see something like this come to an end, but reading all the comments about the end is refreshing. It's difficult to see farms and ranches broken up and sold by grandkids to get rich. Around here there are several decent parcels of land for sale, and are all being zoned for residential. If we're not careful, we're going to run out of farm and ranch land in this country. Turning this property into a park is a very good compromise.

Did anyone watch it today? All I can say is.... WOW.

Heartfelt goodbye, telling everyone what a wonderful man Rockefellow was, to everyone.

The cattle were HIGH, I guess a lot of people want a piece of the Hudson Pines legacy! The sale started at 9 my time, and was over by 2:30. Grossed 2.4Million plus....

One thing about it I'm sure there will be embryo`s available from some of the cows for a few years the new owners will have to make that money back somehow. I feel fortunate to have one out of the Cream Soda family there was about 5 pages of the catalog just out of that cow alone.

I did not realize it, but you can look up anyone's will after it went to probate.
The granddaughter, Miranda, ran the farm with a great passion for the breed, for the past 21 years, after her grand-mother, Peggy, passed. She was a great lady (Peggy).
Yes, David had all the money in the world to spend (22 Billion), but Ryan managed the farm in an honest, professional way. In the past maybe 10 years, they have produced some of the top females of the breed.
The farm was given to the town of Sleepy Hollow many, many years ago - after David's death, to be kept in a "green sanctuary" of some type.
He left each of his children 1 million each, the rest went to charities.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1shad1qm said:
The farm was given to the town of Sleepy Hollow many, many years ago - after David's death, to be kept in a "green sanctuary" of some type.
He left each of his children 1 million each, the rest went to charities.

The Rockefeller family was perhaps the most powerful and influential family in US history. They contributed billions to charities, humanitarian causes across the globe and were known for conservation efforts. The family was the single push to make the Grand Tetons a National Park. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia about the family wealth which may be separate from that controlled individually by David. When you have this much money, the family needed a trust to manage it.

Much of the wealth has been locked up in the notable family trust of 1934 (which holds the bulk of the fortune and matures on the death of the fourth generation), and the trust of 1952, both administered by Chase Bank, the corporate successor to Chase Manhattan Bank. These trusts have consisted of shares in the successor companies to Standard Oil and other diversified investments, as well as the family's considerable real estate holdings. They are administered by a trust committee that oversees the fortune.

Miranda said she was out of the cattle business 'for now"????
I was at the sale. Cattle all looked awesome. They sold about 130 open heifers. I purchased my last branded HPF female (at least last one directly from HPF).
HPF leased three different cows from me to flush. It was a great opportunity for me to get embryos out of my cows sired by bulls I could never get my hands on.

Thank you. Yes, it was a tremendous opportunity for this little old lady. Ryan gets out all over USA & SEES the new up & coming bulls. We both appreciate/like the same style cattle. Structure is number one for the both of us, so me having embryos sired to the newest young sires that I knew I could trust would have superb structure/over-all appearance was a blessing. I was honored that he appreciated my breeding program.
The HPF sale has been called Living Legacy, in honor of Peggy. This last sale was called "Forever a Legacy" - so true!

Latest posts