Simmental Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
I always enjoy looking at the other pics you guys post, thought I would add a few of my own cattle. They are purebred simmentals... My first year with managing pasture.. the grass is getting away, almost 24"s. Only have one more rotation before im through it all.

If the pictures are any good, let me know what you think of the animals.... any constructive criticism is welcome... Like i said im just getting started...

100_0924.JPG

100_0921.JPG

100_0914.JPG

The heifer in the pic above is SimAngus...

100_0912.JPG

Looks like some good functional cattle. How is your rotation set up? Looks like you could have taken a hay crop off and maybe skipped a paddock or two this spring.

It was suggested that I up my stocking rate to keep my easy fleshing cattle from getting too fleshy...
Looks like you ought to do the same :D
I like the looks of the blazed face critter.

Good looking pasture. What is your grazing rate.

A good set of cows you have there.

What % Simmental does it take to be considered purebred.

You have some very nice looking cattle. And some serious greenery. One of my cows looked in the window and saw your pictures, last I seen of them they had broke the fence down and were heading west. Expect to see them in 3 to 4 days.

Great looking Simmentals.. I'll even overlook that nasty old Sim-Angus! :cboy: Those kind should do very well for you up there!

~

What kind of fertilizer have you used on those fields ?

How many acres are you currently using ?
What size are your rotational grids ?

What a tremendous growth.

Fabulous photo of cattle and forage. Thank you for sharing.

Love them SimAngus~!!

Thanks for all the encouraging replies....

The pasture is a mix of Perennial Ryegrass, Alfalfa, Bromegrass, Tall Fescue, and timothy. Was seeded spring of '05, converted from notill row cropping. Things didnt work out getting the cattle on it untill October, up until then I cut it a couple of times with the batwing mower. I was actually a little nervous that I let the cattle out on it too long last fall, they took pretty much everything down to an inch or two... but I guess not, EVERYTHING came this spring. I havent done any fertilizing at all.

Its only a little more than 6 acres, and I dont a have any secret to my rotations, Im still learning.... When I seeded and fenced it I made it everything square 900'x300', with one cross fence at 450' making two 3 acre paddocks.

Ive got 7500 to 8000 lbs of beef out on it right now, I offered to take a couple of a neighbors pairs for a couple weeks for free to help get through the 1st full rotation, but it didnt happen... I dont own any hay equipment and didnt want to get the neighbor here to make an acre of hay...

I turned the cows out April 20th, (little under 5" sward height) and by the 24th they were out full time. But I was probably about 5 days late in hindsight, with the growth i have on the last 3/4 acre.

I have been moving them daily, (seems like they knock down less if i move them everyday) give them around a 1/4 acre.

Can thank the rain for all the growth, well over 2" in the last week and a half. Sward height on the first 3 acre paddock is over 8" already...

Lukem86 - You may be just getting started-but you sure have started with a bang! Fine looking cattle and a terrific pasture. It does need more cattle on it right now, and that would help fertillize it more. You still might take a cutting of hay off of part of it - that is just like a mixed green 'salad' to those cows! I can just hear some of our other Board members drooling and wiping their chins when looking at that field! Boy, that is great!

One suggestion - I would take a general soil sample over the entire pasture and have it analyzed. You probably don't need any Nitrogen, but you might need some Lime and Phosphorous and Potasium. Then next year you can add another couple or three cow/calf pairs!

You have a fine set-up!

DOC HARRIS