Simmental Bull EPD's Pictures added 5-4-09

Help Support CattleToday:

So are you saying all breeds should be black?
No, I was poking fun at the argument and how people let others fire them up about the breeds that did go black. It starts sounding like a Ford, Chevy, and Dodge Post.

So the other breeds went black to be uniform?
No, they went black to get their share of the CAB $$, but it made it really easy to breed your commercial Angus cows to a continental breed and maintain the black hide even when you kept heifers for replacements.

Snider.. good looking Simmy! The Willis' are good folks.. and have some good cattle! I predict you'll really like those 1/2 x 1/2 calves when they you get them on the ground!

I don't doubt that he's quiet.. they spend a lot of time with their cattle. I personally think that is an added bonus!

Good luck!

VCC":3uugspw2 said:
He's just trying to get your goat, anyone whose breed hasn't seen the light ;-) Like to make fun of all the breeds that have.

The black Mains, Simis and Chi still have their breed characteristics just not the color, sure makes it easy to get a Continental and Angus cross that looks uniform doesn't it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

icon_roflmbo.gif

Chianina

chianina.jpg

ChampionChiSteerLawrenceCo.jpg

Simmental

simmental_bull_haped1.jpg

hcpowerdrive.jpg

Maine Anjou

maine-anjou-bull.jpg

oakridge_direct_deposit_12j.jpg

Shorthorn

Shorthorn%20Cow.jpg

Bindy-U174.jpg

Limousin

LimousinBull.jpg

01.jpg

Can you honestly tell me, with a straight face, that these breeds have retained their breed character?

*dead straight face* Of course Keren. Your pictures validate that! :nod: I can't tell the difference between the original and the black versions at all.

:secret:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
icon_roflmbo.gif

:clap: :tiphat: :clap:
I need to go have a drink now. :drink:

Killala":7ergfe7e said:
*dead straight face* Of course Keren. Your pictures validate that! :nod: I can't tell the difference between the original and the black versions at all.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
icon_roflmbo.gif

I can't tell any difference between the balck ones. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is what just kills me at our Junior livestock show. They have all these black calves and they say this one is a Maine, this one is a Chi, this one is a Limi, this one a Simmi, this one is Angus, and then they have a cross bred class. Heck as far as I am concerned they all look the same and should all be classified as crossbred because that is exactly what they are. :banana:

Jovid":2mlp5r8i said:
Killala":2mlp5r8i said:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
icon_roflmbo.gif

I can't tell any difference between the balck ones. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is what just kills me at our Junior livestock show. They have all these black calves and they say this one is a Maine, this one is a Chi, this one is a Limi, this one a Simmi, this one is Angus, and then they have a cross bred class. Heck as far as I am concerned they all look the same and should all be classified as crossbred because that is exactly what they are. :banana:

Once you've shown enough and know more about the individual breeds, you can tell the difference. Even though they are black now, they still carry characteristics of the breed. I.E., a black chi is going to be rounder hipped than the others along with being courser made. A maine is usually going to have some amount of white on him but not necessarilly. They are generally smooth and square with an abundance of hair. A simmi just plain and simple is going to have to have white on his face to get into the class. A limmi, just as many reds show as blacks do here but generally theyll be the roundest muscled breed along with having an extra rib in there.

Keren, you haven't honestly convinced yourself into believeing the cattle u posted r better than the black ones?

I knew by generalizing my statement that I would get some negative feed back.

I'm pretty sure that I could find colored cattle from the same breed that do not have the same exact characteristics.

Chi Pictures: Since you can register anything Chi as long as there was a Chi in that county at the time the animal was bred, you got me there.

Shorthorn: I am sure that you can not register a shorthorn as a pure bred if it is black or blue that you can not try and compare a pure bred shorthorn to percentage animal.

Simmi: These cattle do look similar in type, longer bodied extra leather in the front, heads are similar, and depending on the era each picture was taken I would say these cattle have similar characteristics.

Mains: Ok lets look for cattle from the same century and the same age, mature Main from the 80's compared to a juvinile bull from this century, you win they don't look alike.

Limis; I think your Limi looks more like a Belgian Blue. I would venture to guess that a moderate frame breed typical Limi would come closer to the black the he does to the bull you used for your comparison.

Bottom line A good one is A good one, blue, red, black or yellow.

I still like the originals, love the colored Simmi's.

Hah this is entertaining. i dont have the time to sit online all day and argue about a bull being a black purebred. If you will excuse me i have to go check cows and figure which are in heat.

Cowboy 2.0":4us2q438 said:
Keren, you haven't honestly convinced yourself into believeing the cattle u posted r better than the black ones?

No, I'm not saying that either is better, just that the traditional breed characteristics that make that breed what they are, have been lost in the black animals. Chianina breed character is colour (white), large frame (known as the biggest cattle breed in the world), fine boned, shallow bodied, heavy muscled. Black chi's are black; heavier boned, deeper bodied and softer than the traditionals. Simmental are known for their soft, extra skin (or as you guys would term, 'leather'), and heaps and heaps of milk. And their characteristic colour patterns. Black simms are much tigher in the hide, do not display the extra skin on the dewlap, brisket and underline, dont have the famous soft Simmy lips, and are much more moderate in milk. Maine Anjou is known for the colour pattern, heavy bone, very tall rangy cattle with heavy muscle over the top but shallow bodies. Black Maine is smaller framed, softer, deeper ...

I could keep going. Look, I like angus, I have worked with angus extensively, I've had the pleasure of dealing with some brilliant angus cattle and some less than stellar ones, just as I have done in all breeds. I have no problem with the industry going black - if thats what they want to do, fine. If the other breeds want to do black, and they get more money for their calves, more power to them. I'm just trying to point out that, in going black, its not as simple as taking the fullblood animal and painting it black. Some breed character is bound to be lost, because to get that black hide at one point you have to cross to a black animal, and in most cases that black animal is an angus, so you start taking on traits of the angus. Traits like moderate frame, softness, depth, moderate bone and so on, all very positive traits that I strive for in my own cattle, but you also need to acknowledge that some of these traits werent in the original fullblood animal, therefore it has lost some of its traditional breed character.

Cowboy 2.0":4us2q438 said:
I.E., a black chi is going to be rounder hipped than the others along with being courser made. A maine is usually going to have some amount of white on him but not necessarilly. They are generally smooth and square with an abundance of hair. A simmi just plain and simple is going to have to have white on his face to get into the class. A limmi, just as many reds show as blacks do here but generally theyll be the roundest muscled breed along with having an extra rib in there.

I don't have time to get into this good and proper as I have work to do, but...

A simmi just plain and simple is going to have to have white on his face to get into the class.

The Simmi posted here sure doesn't have a white face.

Keren is right, when you turn an animal black, it is inevitable you will lose some of its breed characteristics. You HAVE to, when you introduce a new breed, there is no way around it.

Killala":3280msdz said:
I don't have time to get into this good and proper as I have work to do, but...

A simmi just plain and simple is going to have to have white on his face to get into the class.

The Simmi posted here sure doesn't have a white face.

Keren is right, when you turn an animal black, it is inevitable you will lose some of its breed characteristics. You HAVE to, when you introduce a new breed, there is no way around it.

I was speaking solely in terms of show steers here. They have no papers.

Latest posts