Show Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

We have used our our bulls to breed while showing. But it all depends on the temperament of the bull. Once they know what their job is, some take it seriously and are a little more difficult to handle when around a heifer in heat. At a show, that is NOT a good thing :eek:

I have. Like FSR mentioned, it can change some of them. Depends some on how solid they are with their training. If they have a good disposition and are very respectful, they can do ok with it.

Thank you. We have a heifer we are having a hard time getting bred. I was not sure if it was a good idea to use our show bull to breed her. He "so far" is very well behaved. My 13 year old son is showing the bull I did not want to ruin his "show" behavior.

If you had a bull you wanted to take to Denver (NWSS) or NAILE, would that influence your decision? If he's good enough for that then is it worth the risk of him changing? I have an embryo due April 25 that I don't know the gender of, so if it turns out to be a bull I may add some questions to this conveniently titled thread......

I certainly see a lot of bulls in the show ring with calves on the ground. They are going to have the same Testosterone and drive to breed whether they "are virgins" or not.
However when you are fitting a bull and showing him, you are not going to want him out running off weight and risk getting injured.
If he is THAT good, (and you are worried about it) why not just collect him and AI your cows?

branguscowgirl":e9ywnd8y said:
I certainly see a lot of bulls in the show ring with calves on the ground. They are going to have the same Testosterone and drive to breed whether they "are virgins" or not.
However when you are fitting a bull and showing him, you are not going to want him out running off weight and risk getting injured.
If he is THAT good, (and you are worried about it) why not just collect him and AI your cows?
That's a good point. I'm just getting antsy, and it's gonna be a long 3 months before the embryo is due :D The embryo is a full sibling to the 2011 NWSS Reserve Champion ShorthornPlus Female, so obviously I am hoping for a heifer calf, but when you want a heifer you usually end up with a bull calf, and I'd rather take a bull around to various shows than cut him and campaign a steer. I will probably take him to a few "prospect steer" shows when he is a calf, as long as they don't require male calves to be castrated :roll:

shortybreeder":2ww6ci3v said:
branguscowgirl":2ww6ci3v said:
That's a good point. I'm just getting antsy, and it's gonna be a long 3 months before the embryo is due :D The embryo is a full sibling to the 2011 NWSS Reserve Champion ShorthornPlus Female, so obviously I am hoping for a heifer calf, but when you want a heifer you usually end up with a bull calf, and I'd rather take a bull around to various shows than cut him and campaign a steer. I will probably take him to a few "prospect steer" shows when he is a calf, as long as they don't require male calves to be castrated :roll:
Good luck with you calf!

I think just about every bull we have shown beyond a yearling has bred a cow or two during that time. Our Steel Force bull that we showed early spring last year bred several, and before a big show we tossed him out with the cows to get some exercise (he was getting soft) and he did get injured. He popped his jump muscle and had to be left at home. He was not lame, just had a huge bump on his back above his loin. We never showed him again.
We have 8 head due to him in March (Inyeti's Margo is one), so he was busy when he injured himself!
We will usually hand breed if we want to cover a cow, like we breed horses. Take the cow/Heifer out on a halter to his pasture and let him breed her, then take the cow/heifer back to her pen. But you have to be willing to sacrifice his show career if something happens.

No offense FSR. But I personally would not "halter breed" with a bull. I think it is too easy to get hurt and have the sucker decide he wants you out of the way. Just my :2cents:
I had my show bull running with the cows last year, (have some calves on the ground this year from him.) Pulled him out and showed him in January with no ill effect. Again, I really think it depends on the individual bull.

One of the main methods of artificially collecting a bull involves having him "halter breed" with another person getting even closer... Once he does his thing he will usually calm down and not become hostile. It does take some training to get the bull to go through the process smoothly though.

branguscowgirl":1dd4u0np said:
No offense FSR. But I personally would not "halter breed" with a bull. I think it is too easy to get hurt and have the sucker decide he wants you out of the way. Just my :2cents:
I had my show bull running with the cows last year, (have some calves on the ground this year from him.) Pulled him out and showed him in January with no ill effect. Again, I really think it depends on the individual bull.
That's how every bull gets collected and being around both horses and cows I'd much rather halter breed a bull than a horse!

It does take some training to get the bull to go through the process smoothly though.
I am not saying it can't be done. "Training" is the key word. If they do not know what they are doing, I would highly discourage it.

Till hill, that is NOT "how every bull is collected". I understand the collection process. I have collected many bulls. Never a cow present. Always in the chute with a stimulator up his rear and a collection container. It sounds like you have never seen this performed by a vet.
Horses are nothing like a bull. I have collected both.

Branguscowgirl you are correct. You can and I have collected "manually" that is not the preferred method tho. Major AI studs when they are collecting them 2-3 times a week the bull jumps a steer and a person then takes the penis into a collection day device.

Do we agree that the procedure you mentioned should not be attempted by an inexperienced person and a bull without training?

I believe FSR was indicating taking a heifer (on halter) to the bulls field.
Loose bull, me holding a heifer in heat? Not going to happen? :D

This is getting carried away-- There is going to be absolutely no change whatsoever in the demeanor of your bull after breeding 1 heifer.

Latest posts