2015 4-H Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Really nice set-up VCC! Also very nice that you posted the pictures to give people a visual of what goes on.

I show my Brangus slick. (Everyone does here, except for the winter bull sales.) So I love by- passing the rinsing and the blowing. Just body shave, bath, and go!

The lineup of young calves is not mine, that photo was just a good picture for an example. I had no problem with the rinsing and blowing (since the kids had to do it and not me) It kind of went like the laundry, I did it once and that all it took for me to never have to do it again, I did get them a double blower after a few years, what a difference it made.
I do think the rinsing, blowing and combing is beneficial for both the kid and the animal as it helps in building a bond between them. The more time they spend with the animal the better they tend to work together in the ring. With one or 2 head it makes since, if you have a show string of any size: clip, wash, and go sounds great.

VCC and Harley I talked with my daughter and we decided to pass on the show this weekend. She is tying him up every single day and brushing him. We do not have a set up in which to tie him up during the day out of the weather but are working on that. Been tying him to a railroad tie in the corral.
She wants to go to one in June that has Kirk Stierwalt there as a speaker and a judge for the jackpot.

Got him tied up today. we were brushing him and I started to look closely and discovered he has warts! Several large ones on the base of one ear and a couple on his face. :bang: :bang: :bang:

So I did a search on here and grabbed the pliers and with fingers crossed I crushed them and pulled them off. None of us were happy! Just hoping I did right. Pretty nervous since this is the first case of warts we have had to deal with.

On the warts, better now than later, by show time he will be fine. Did you put them in his feed, old wives tail is he will not get any more if you put the ones you removed into his feed? ;-)

As far as not showing on the weekend, was the right call, she needs to be comfortable with him or her fear/uneasiness will transfer to him.

The more she can rinse and blow him out the faster he will tame down.

We built our wash rack out of 2 yards of #2 road base and 1 sack of concrete. I built a 10 * 8 form filled with the road base (rock sand and gravel), racked in the concrete, leveled, wet down and compacted. We have been using it for 7 years now. I sloped the pad to drain and then use trailer mats to keeps them from slipping or wearing holes in the pad. All you need is a solid area in front of them to tie to and rails on the side to keep them from stepping off of it.

No I didn't put them in his feed. I was too busy scraping them off hubby's good pliers before he discovered what I had done! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Steer does not like me now. Go figure!

Looking at getting something put up near the water hydrant and then have a drying area near the power source. Have some oil field pipe that will work and just need some quickcrete and she will be starting off pretty well.

He is looking good, he has plenty of body and looks to be well balanced. I would really concentrate on working that hair up and forward, Herefords generally have tough hair to train, but once it is trained they look really good. He looks like he is on track with feed, growing but maintaining his condition at the same time.
With combing out his rear, you want to start from the very back and comb out then up, this will make him appear wider from the rear than he is. Hopefully you have a rice root brush that she can wear out on him, rinse comb then brush until dry, it will train the hair after a little time.
Your daughter and you are doing a great job with him.

She used her blower on him that day too and she started at the rear and worked forward. His hair was laying forward nicely. Got him moved down to the barn with the 2 milk cows. Have power and can put up a fan for him in the barn for the hot days. Done calving so we could get him down there.
She is brushing him every day. Just have to move her feed for him down there. A 1600+ pound bulk bag.

Going to a clinic and a jackpot show on Sunday! It is a 3 day event. Check in first day. Clinic the second day then the jackpot show the third day.

He is calming down more and more but still going to watch him during this event.

He will be better for the experience, if not this show the next.
We hit them with oral probiotics prior to hauling them to help keep their guts working, feeding half their grain ration the night before with free choice hay (most the grain ends up on the floor and walls of the trailer anyway) and then go back to feeding him his full ration once you are there. It is best to keep him on his normal schedule, if you get there in the middle of the day, feed him some hay and then give him his grain ration at the normal evening feeding time.
If you ever pick-up and melatonin or calf calm this is a good time to try it, melatonin hit him with about 30 ml the night before and the calf calm about 2 hours prior to hauling.

Some tricks: when you move him around try and do it with other cattle, they seem to stay calmer when their with other calves, plan your routes around so you can avoid tight spots or areas he is more likely to be spooked. We like to wash early in the morning, muck the stall when they're in the wash rack so they come back to a clean stall. Let them eat and lay down until it is time to get them ready for the show. Give yourself time to get them ready but not so early they have to stand for 2 hours prior to their class, this is when they will try and lie down in the ring on you. If you can avoid it try not to be first in the ring, most calves prefer to follow, makes it easier on the exhibitor if they aren't fighting their calf to just walk.

Watch what others are doing and see what seems to be working for them, never know what tricks you may pick up on as far as grooming or showing in the ring.

Good luck

We are home! Daughter sure learned a lot!
Even though she was pretty much last in showmanship and market she had fun!

The biggest problem we ran into was getting him to drink the water. Daughter finally poured a bottle of water in with it and he finally drank. One gentleman told me to add molasses in before a show.
A lot of the people were very helpful.

We watched 2 different people getting their animals ready and the funniest thing we saw was one one picking up long hair off the floor and gluing it to the steers tail head then using a flat iron to make it straight!

Steer was not too happy at first then he started to settle down more. He was acting up a bit in the show ring. Just told daughter to just keep going.

My camera crapped out on me so not a lot of pictures.

Poor daughter picked up some sort of bug and is really sick this morning.

I luv herfrds":a16cilwi said:
We are home! Daughter sure learned a lot!
Even though she was pretty much last in showmanship and market she had fun!

The biggest problem we ran into was getting him to drink the water. Daughter finally poured a bottle of water in with it and he finally drank. One gentleman told me to add molasses in before a show.
A lot of the people were very helpful.

We watched 2 different people getting their animals ready and the funniest thing we saw was one one picking up long hair off the floor and gluing it to the steers tail head then using a flat iron to make it straight!

Steer was not too happy at first then he started to settle down more. He was acting up a bit in the show ring. Just told daughter to just keep going.

My camera crapped out on me so not a lot of pictures.

Poor daughter picked up some sort of bug and is really sick this morning.

The important part is to water him out of a pail or a old lick bucket at home and take the sam eone with you, in an emergency make him thirsty at home and give him water with a can of Coke added to teh water a few times before the show and when you are at the show add the Coke from the get go. I'm yet to see that not work.

To sort the free spirit out, tie him up over night taking him out to graze every morning, but back to being tied up at night, it will tame them much more than any amount of handling and practising. Don't neglect the brushing otherwise they'll tend to be kickers forever.

Here are some show pics.

Brushing Sinister out

Getting use to the ring

relaxing after a long day

At the show

Wish I had gotten more pictures but since my camera crapped out on me they were all fuzzy or it would not take a picture.

Glad to hear she had fun and learned alot, that's great!

I like the pic of them relaxing, that's sweet.

Sounds like it has been a good experience for her so far.

Hubby is going to pull out the scale tomorrow and we are going to get a weight on him Knersie.
Several folks told us to bump up his corn. He is on a 3way feed of oats, barley and corn. Have added a show feed to that plus a feed the guy putting on the clinic advised. Has a salt block and free mineral plus he is getting grass hay after he eats his feed. Daughter brought up the calf scale to weight his feed but I cannot find where she put it so told her to use our bathroom scale to get a weight on the feed.

Will see if the camera will work tomorrow or just wait til I get a new one next month and then compare pictures. ;-)

Several folks were right about that!

Leave the oats out, or at least limit it to not more than 25% of the grain part in the ration, add a commercial high protein concentrate so that the mix has a total of about 14% protein. Feed really stemmy hay free choice (if you can get wheat straw it's even better) feed him all the feed he can eat in a day, ideally in three feedings, but unless you can be punctual about it it's better to feed him a days' worth at a time, by the next morning tere should just be a few crumbs left, then you know you're feeding the right amount, the trough should never be licked clean. On that he should gain at around 4.5 lbs per day.

He has the frame and shape he just needs to be fattened up and get some guts to him. I would put him on stabilized rice bran start with a pound a day and work him up to 2pounds a day. We tie the calves all day in a cool area and kick out at night (keeps them out of the sun so they don't sun bleach) work the hair in the morning and evening. As much grain as he will eat and free choice hay, when he gets close to his finished weight add beet pulp, cotton seed hulls or something like that to help expand his belly and give him that deep full look.

Had one person tell me to not feed him so much but I will listen to both you Knersie and VCC.
Daughter says he is leaving a few crumbs in the feed pan. She feeds him both morning and night. Have a good stemy grass hay for him.
Will get the protein content off the feed bag and bucket.
He is looking much better.

Latest posts