2015 4-H Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
With both daughter and I going under the knife this year we are slow to get started on her 4-H steer. Got the halter on him but left him with the rest. Hubby has been feeding the group grass hay, alfalfa, hay barley and ground barley.

Just cut the steer and heifer off today. Now that we are both able to get around going to work hard with them.

And the heifer photo bombed me! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Thanks BB. :D I am giving them their feed in the morning and daughter is doing it at night. He is starting to calm down. Have a 3 day weekend off so plans are to tie them up so we can start getting some hands on with them.

Therapist warned daughter to wear her brace around her animals. So going to have to watch them very carefully.

Well the steer lost his halter. With both daughter and I wearing knee braces we got him caught with the heifer. Put a pan of feed in front of him and got one back on. Since he has been pretty wild we tied him to a rail road tie and gave him some feed. We were able to start brushing him with a curry comb. He started to really calm down.
Told daughter she will have to work with him every day and she needs to bump his feed up too.

Have her get a showstick on him as soon as possible, find that spot that just makes him relax. Once you have that it makes it easy to get a halter on them, I have a heifer that won't let me near her with a halter but if we get the showstick on her she will just stand there. I can halter in the pasture with this method. I do not like to let them drag the halter, I understand your situation, so if you can get him to where he will stand with the showstick, things should get much easier in a hurry. Each calf has a spot, some it is the brisket, others it is the belly or chest, once you find it you have it made.

Have to bring the scale up and get a weight on the feed he is getting. He lost his halter again. I got it on him and I was sure glad daughter was not on the end of it when he had an attitude. Lost some skin on my right hand but he and I have an attitude adjustment appointment this next weekend. Going to involve a railroad tie and a hose for washing! First bath!!!!

He likes his brisket rubbed.

The less fighting you have to do with the calves the better. As soon as we get the calves halter broke we start tying them up, first it is loose (about 18" to 24" of rope) so they can fight it a little and find out they can't go anywhere. Once the calves have stopped fighting the halter we start tying them with their head up for about a half hour at a time. This will help them build endurance for standing for long periods of time. At a show they may spend an hour or more standing in the grooming shoot, than another 30 minutes or more outside and in the ring. It also helps tire them out a little before you start working on them.
We will run them in, tie them with their heads up for a little while and them lead them to the wash rack tie them nose to the rail and then head up, (not wrenched up but up) this way they are limited to just side to side movement. Stand back and rinse, if he wants to move and fight the water he won't hurt anyone and just tire himself out, after a few baths they seem to calm down. We wash with soap once a week and rinse once a day, pour a quarter sized dollop of "Mane and Tail" cream rinse in a full 5 gallon bucket over their body after rinsing twice a week (you leave this in, don't rinse after), We dip the tail first then pour over the calf. This will help get the tangles out of the tail.

I think the daily rinsing dose a lot for getting the calves calmed down, they get used to being handled just seem to get used to the routine. We tie the calves under fans in a shaded stall for the last 3 months, rinse twice a day to get them to grow hair you can work, the funny thing is our calves are in a half acre pen at night and get tied during the day in the stall. After a few weeks of the routine they are standing at the gate in the morning waiting to go in, they each would go to their spot and stand there, that's where we put on the halter. Fans, fly free, and cool their not stupid.

As for the halter if you plan on leaving it on them try getting a nylon horse halter that will fit over the rope halter, put the horse halter over the rope halter and run the lead through the buckle on the side. It will let the rope halter work the way it should but keep him from rubbing it off. We had an Angus calf that could get the rope halter off in less than 30 seconds of being tied, so we put the horse halter over his rope halter and put a stop to that.
Remember every day you make progress no matter how little it may seem you and your daughter are winning.

We are winning VCC! Where before it was a huge fight to get the halter on it took less time. We can now scratch him where before he would take off running to get away. Will start tying him up like you said.

At our 4-H meeting today we were told there is going to be a show next Sunday. I asked daughter if she wanted to take her steer. She does. Only problem is I am scheduled to work that day. Called a friend and she is going to come be with my daughter for that day.

So far she has been working with her steer with her show stick and has been tying him up. Just need to wash him and give him a light clipping.

Everything was going great with the steer right up to the point he got a wild hair, ran around daughter with the lead rope twisted her and flipped her! She landed on her right shoulder with both feet up in the air. Felt like she had dislocated her shoulder. I was not close enough to grab the rope. When I ran in to get splinting supplies she popped her shoulder back in place. X-ray showed it was back in place. Pretty sore but doing alright.

She had just got done washing him. Later that afternoon we went up and she caught him and tied him to a railroad tie and went to brushing him and rubbing him with the show stick.

Told her to start doing as you said VCC to tie him for a half hour every day.

If you can get a hold of some Melatonin from the local drug store, I would start giving him about 30 -3mg tablet every day, starting 3 or 4 days before the time she shows him. It will not hurt him but might just take the edge off. It is not an illegal drug, it is used heavily to grow hair on the show cattle all the time, but it does take the edge off of them as well.
If we have one that is a little jumpy or spooky we feed it to them a few days before we go to the show until we get them home.
You can try it in pill form or grind them pills up and top dress the feed with it.
Wally world usually has the pills pretty cheap (It is a natural sleep aid for people)

I luv herfrds":2e26lp7x said:
Everything was going great with the steer right up to the point he got a wild hair, ran around daughter with the lead rope twisted her and flipped her! She landed on her right shoulder with both feet up in the air. Felt like she had dislocated her shoulder. I was not close enough to grab the rope. When I ran in to get splinting supplies she popped her shoulder back in place. X-ray showed it was back in place. Pretty sore but doing alright.

She had just got done washing him. Later that afternoon we went up and she caught him and tied him to a railroad tie and went to brushing him and rubbing him with the show stick.

Told her to start doing as you said VCC to tie him for a half hour every day.

Kris, the important part is to tie him up everyday for so long that he accepts he can't get away from the halter, don't fight them until you've broken their fighting spirit, remember they are 4x4 you're not!

Agree with the tying up. "A half hour" is not long enough. It is better to tie more than one in the same area, so they do not panic that the can not see another cow. I will put some straw down and tie them loose enough to lay down and leave them for many hours. They have to do it at the shows, so best to start it at home.
A half hour is long enough for high tying. (With their heads tied high.) But when it comes to developing discipline and patience, it takes leaving them for hours tied. I would not even attempt to lead one that will not stand very well tied first. Then lead them to feed or water.

^ ditto
All of our childrens beef projects were kept tied low enough so that the animal could either stand or lay down. They were lead to water and tied while the kid put the feed in the tie spot. then lead back to feed -- 2 x daily.

At our fair, the steers in tie stalls for 10 days.

We keep calves tied, and walk to water and feed to halter break (and only on the hard headed ones), once their halter broke we only tie/stall them all day the last 3 months before the fair (this is to get hair on them) They are kicked out in a big pen to move and relax at night. Calves will be waiting at the gate once it gets warm, they would rather be tied in a stall where it is cool and no flies then out in the pen all day.
DSC_0419_640x428_.jpg

We do tie with the head up daily, what I mean by tied up, it is tied with the head above the shoulder, if you tie them this way for a half hour to start, this gets some of the snot out of them, so you do not have too. Then move them to the wash rack, another 15-30 minutes with head up, then blow them out, another 30 to 60 minutes with the head up, That's close to 2 hours with the head tied up. We do rinse and work them daily, seems to really tame then down, the more time you spend with them the easier they get to work with.
untitled_476x640_.jpg

DSC_0859_640x428_.jpg

DSC_0870_640x428_.jpg

Latest posts