2015 4-H Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

I disagree in breeding for the showring, you are a family having fun showing what you breed/produce, that is good enough for me. You could improve on the preparation part, in the end it will cost very much the same whether you feed t properpy from the get go or skimp and try and catch up later on.

My boys did not do well in showmanship their first few years, they did well showing in market but never stood out in showmanship. Fast forward to their last few years, and about 8 years and 40 shows later, it just became natural; they showed the same in market as they did in showmanship. My youngest won senior twice, the oldest was in the top 7 out of 30 the last 3 years (the 4 girls that were always at the top, those three years were flat out good, with a calf, hog or lamb, watched some epic battles when it came down to those 4).

The extra shows helped them understand what they needed to do in different situations, they did not need to think about ring position, setting up the animal, loining them and grooming the steers after the judge got his hands on them but after he has finished with your animal. These things were what tripped them up early on.
The biggest thing was working with the animal at home, getting them to step into setting up instead of having to adjust their feet all the time, and learning good is fine, they do not have to be perfect. The more you mess with them the more ornery they get. Watching and learning the animal's strength and weaknesses, determining the right speed your animal needs to be at when walking to look their best, setting them up to hide their faults and expose their strengths. The more they work with the animal at home and the more confidence they have in themselves and the animal the better they will do in market and showmanship classes. To me they need to be confident, look comfortable (not uptight or nervous) attentive and be aware of their animal and judge at all times, the rest should just flow from the work they put in at home.

Every year (or show) if she learns something new, enjoys herself, then it is all good. Overtime all those little things she learns compile into a confident show person.

She will get it as she grows more comfortable and certain of herself.

VCC":1d5prk4t said:
Watching and learning the animal's strength and weaknesses, determining the right speed your animal needs to be at when walking to look their best, setting them up to hide their faults and expose their strengths. The more they work with the animal at home and the more confidence they have in themselves and the animal the better they will do in market and showmanship classes. To me they need to be confident, look comfortable (not uptight or nervous) attentive and be aware of their animal and judge at all times, the rest should just flow from the work they put in at home.

Every year (or show) if she learns something new, enjoys herself, then it is all good. Overtime all those little things she learns compile into a confident show person.

She will get it as she grows more comfortable and certain of herself.

:nod:

Knersi, did you go and look at the bulls at the distributor's websites, some of the bulls they list that do well in the ring also have some decent numbers, these bulls also have a different look. I was not suggesting they change their whole program just that maybe some of the bulls might help infuse a little more of the look into the calves. It is very hard to compete with a full blood Hereford or Angus calf, the crossbreds will win 99 times out of a 100, just the way it is. Commercial calves, full blood or cross on average will not have the rear quarter or top of a club calf type, granted they are at the extreme.
By breeding for a balanced, well muscled calf, it would help with eye appeal, breeding for numbers alone will not help in the ring, if you can get a calf that still has numbers as well as some look it would increase their odds in the showring without changing their overall program.

http://sekgenetics.mybigcommerce.com/hereford-bulls/
http://cattlevisions.com/hereford_directory.php

Pictures will not upload to photobucket. :mad: will keep trying.

She had fun and did learn a lot. Which is what we want her to do. Already talking to her Knersie about how she is going to feed this next steer. She has a plan set in her mind and I am having her write it down on paper.
Remember that first year when she clipped her steer almost bald!!!!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Learned to not do that.
Several of the older kids have also been helping her, even the 2 girls that were always rude to her have straightened up and realized that being rude is not a good thing.

She has picked my Ribstone cows steer calf for the next steer but there are a couple of really good ones out there to look at too.

Glad the kids are coming together, hope they all can become friends. The memories from these years can last a life time. Out of all the kids in high school, sports, all my close friends are the ones from AG and the fair. 30 years later we are still there for each other, weddings, funerals, graduations and everything else, just went a helped pick grapes this past weekend for a friends from high school who started a vineyard.

The sooner you can get them on feed the better. Starting with a good precon feed and then going to a developer/grower mix once they are eating well. Changing from a developer to a finisher at the right time is also key. Each year they will eat differently but you and your daughter will also learn how to feed each one to get the most out of the animal. I would rather have one ready early and hold him than have to push up to the end. If you have to push one, all it takes is one little hick-up to ruin your chances. You can shrink one down 80 pounds pretty easy for weigh in. Start early but slow and work them up to full feed, adjust the amount as they grow, we try and feed around 3% of their body weight from 500 to 1000 then based on where they are and how long we have we may feed 2% or 3% depending where we are at and how fast they are gaining. For the most part the last 2-3 months are calves were fed 25 pounds grain that was 13% protein, 4% fat, with 2 pounds Calf-manna and 2 pounds Stabilized Rice Bran. The calves were between 15 to 18 months ranging between 1280 and 1420 in weight. We always wanted them in the weight class between 1275 and 1340; the range is where the champion usually came from, it also depends on the steer and where he looks his best.

Feeding one right is your biggest challenge, you get it right and the calf is at 12:00 as the judges say at show time you have a great chance to place high or win.

It took us several years to get the feeding right, and about the same time the kids got the showing down, things come together. It is a fun just to watch how each year the little things keep coming together and by the last few years it seems easy.

Your daughter seems to be on that track, good luck in the upcoming year.

Pictures FINALLY uploaded.

Sinister

Ring helper stepped in just as I took this picture

Arnold on the left Sinister on the right

Arnold is the steer we sold our friends son. He was feeling good!

The heifer

Gwen the milk cow tired out from her show

Thanks for posting the pics! Good photos. I like that name......Sinister. Nice looking animals. Sweet pic of the Jersey napping. I like the choice in shirts that your daughter wore, pretty shirt, I like all the colors.

the best way to get to selling show steers and heifers is to fall into it.for the last 2yrs ive sold all of my heifers that could go into the show ring.this year ill have 2 or 3 heifers being shown in the major shows.but im not breeding for show calves.although i did buy a retired show bull this year.

The picture I missed during showmanship is when daughter was trying to switch hands between the halter and the show stick. She put the show stick handle in her mouth to hold it and switched hands! I was trying to not laugh. Judge caught her and mention incorrect use of the show stick.

I let her pick her own clothes. Even though there are some I think would look great on her, if she doesn't like it she won't wear it.
So glad the Judges are not making it so they have to wear white shirts anymore! Trying to keep those clean when the kids are doing more the 2 shows is a pain! Trying to find them was also hard.

Daughter said she wants to raise 2 steers this year. Told her no. I told her that she needs to finish out this next steer better then she has the last ones and then I would think about letting her do 2 in one year.

Friend's son wants another steer from us. He is not going to do 4-H but wants to do open show. Have a couple of really nice ones for him to pick from.

Our county fair had the kids wearing white pants and shirts until about 5 years ago, now it is white shirts and nice jeans. Think getting a white shirt clean is tough try white jeans, the boys showed hogs and beef. Market class (2) showmanship (2) Auction (1) at the least they had to wear them 5 times. Make Champion drive and win showmanship 2 more times, Could be up to 7 times. The only time the whites were worn was at the fair, by the next year they needed all new clothes, we had at least 2 sets for each boy.

She seems to have really got the bug, that's great, I will say it does get easier to feed one each year, you start to get a feel for when things need to be changed up. Good luck with the next project, it will be starting before you know it.

Our fair is in July, the kids will start picking up calves over the next couple months September through November, most these calves are on grain from now (Creep) until the fair. I noticed you all got a late start this year but just curios how old are your calves at fair time?

Sinister was born March 5, 2014 and Arnold was born March 6, 2014.

Took the pairs a couple of hay bales yesterday. A lot of the older calves started eating right away and the younger ones were not too interested yet. We do not do creep feed.

Daughter had to wear the white pants for a couple years showing in the dairy. Trying to find those was terrible! Getting them clean was worse!

Our calves were Feb-March; we had them on full feed as early as October no later than November, trying to get them finished by hitting a certain date instead of a weight has its drawbacks. The sooner that you can get them on feed the easier it will be to get weight on them. Plus the seem to gain better during the cool months, once you hit the warmer months they do not gain as well, another reason we started early.

VCC she is already planning for when we wean, the first of October, to get him on feed right away and to start slowly.

That should help get her calf closer to the ideal weight as well as finished on time, the longer she has to work with them the better.
Not sure if you all have a blower or not but if she does it can be a great tool in winter when the weather is not ideal. If she can get out and just blow him off and run a comb through the hair on most days, it helps keep the dingle balls off him and keeps him used to being handled daily.

Just got the carcass report.
Daughters steer Sinister. She placed 17th.
HCW 660,dressing 58.7, back fat 0.25, KPH% 1.5, REA 9.8, REA/CWT 1.48,Yield Grade 2.80, Dk Cutter N, Marb Score 340, Quality Se-, Cutability 50.32

Friends son's steer Arnold. He placed 4th.
HCW 660, dressing 59.2, back fat .50, KPH% 1.5, REA 10.9, REA/CWT 1.65, Yield Grade 3.07,Dk cutter N, Marb Score 420, Quality Ch-, Cutability 49.69.

Latest posts