Junior Simmental Nationals

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Congratulations to Morgan Phillips and Rocking P.

Got to meet Fire Sweep Ranch in person. ;-) I gave my girl Ronnie a big hug!!!
2z3p7ck.png

Proud to report our daughter won a trustee position in the AJSA.
Got some good pics of Ron with Ronnie, but will have to wait to post them when we get back.... Or I get a few moments on my laptop to convert them.
We have had a great time, and the weather has been fantastic!!

OK, took a breath and was able to get a solid 7 hours of sleep last night, so here are a few shots of our National trip to Louisville this year.

Here is Ron holding his namesake, Ronnie. We had a great time with a Ron coming out and staying overnight to meet our family and see our cattle. He is a great person in real life, and quests for more depth about the breed and cattle in general.
IMG_3698.jpg

This is my oldest daughter getting ready to go into her class with Ronnie. She blows on the nose to get the heifers to put her ears up, right before the judge walks by so her head looks nice.
ronnie.jpg

This is my middle daughter on the very end, keeping her heifer in position and set up for the judge. The classes there were extremely competitive, with over 600 head of cattle showing up to compete. That heifer is a Feb half blood, and Ron might end up being the new owner of her when her career is over this summer. She is bred to our Steel Force bull I have pictured on here several times.
margo1.jpg

This is our son showing his half blood heifer, Taylor. She is sired by Beef Maker, out of a first calf Pioneer angus we have. She was 49 pounds at birth, but was just as big as her age mates, and placed 2nd out of 11 in a very competitive class. She has the best set of EPD's also, so we are super excited about her.
seth.jpg

And some of the fun stuff the kids get to do while at nationals, the Fitting Contest. There were over 30 teams there competing, and our team took third place. They won gift cards to Sullivans, where they buy all of their fitting supplies. My daughter was on that team, that is her smiling.
fitting.jpg

Overall, we had a fantastic time. Our oldest won a coveted Trustee position, won a $1000 scholarship (Silver Merit award), was 6th high placing individual, placed 6th in Cattlemens Quiz, 10th in Livestock Judging, and 7th in Public Speaking. Our middle daughter placed 2nd in the Cattlemens quiz, so super proud of her there. It was our son's first year competing (he is 9), so he still has some practice to do to get in the top 20. But we are super proud of all of our kids for a fantastic week.

Wow! Great accomplishments for the kids and wonderful pictures!! Congrats to all!
Very nice picture of Ron! He cleans-up well!! :lol: Handsome guy! ;-)
Thanks for sharing!

Where in Illinois was it held? That doesn't look like the livestock center in Springfield. Duquoin?

torogmc81":30pyvil4 said:
Where in Illinois was it held? That doesn't look like the livestock center in Springfield. Duquoin?

It was in Louisville, KY at the expo center. A long 9 hour drive for us!!!

branguscowgirl":17vaj7ld said:
Wow! Great accomplishments for the kids and wonderful pictures!! Congrats to all!
Very nice picture of Ron! He cleans-up well!! :lol: Handsome guy! ;-)
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. Ron does clean up well, and was fun to visit with in real life. We had a long, heated discussion about the trait track system the ASA now has changed to (there is a thread on it), and it was fun to see him visit with several of the other breeders from MO about their programs.
And, he IS single ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

Fire Sweep Ranch":1mqke4b3 said:
torogmc81":1mqke4b3 said:

Sorry, LOL, what's with the State of IL on the logo then, in the pics ron has up top, is that at a different event? :? (Questions coming from an Angus breeder, obviously)

torogmc81":j0miqt4j said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":j0miqt4j said:
torogmc81":j0miqt4j said:

Sorry, LOL, what's with the State of IL on the logo then, in the pics ron has up top, is that at a different event? :? (Questions coming from an Angus breeder, obviously)

Great question. IL hosted it in KY, since the event center was so close to the border (that is why the theme was Different Place..Same Dream). But IL is the state that put it on. I am pretty sure that is the first time a state has hosted a National Classic in a different state!

Ahhhhhhhhh. Broadbent arena. I've spent a million hours there. Nice place for a show.

Great question. IL hosted it in KY, since the event center was so close to the border (that is why the theme was Different Place..Same Dream). But IL is the state that put it on. I am pretty sure that is the first time a state has hosted a National Classic in a different state!

Leave it to Illinois to host an event in KY, no surprise there .... :?

torogmc81":3jyx7nl9 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3jyx7nl9 said:
torogmc81":3jyx7nl9 said:

I wondered about the State Of Illinois logo. Now I know.

Kris, her family and all the folks from Missouri are great people. I had never been to an event of this nature. It made a powerful impression on me. It is difficult to find the right words to pay tribute to the effort the Juniors put into showing their cattle. I was there toward the end of the event and the youngsters were tired. Late Thursday, I saw kids sleeping on cots, in chairs, on the floor, etc. Boys and girls alike sleeping in the same place for the purpose of getting a little rest. The love for their cattle is precious.

Thanks Kris. My girls love the brush you gave me. :D

BTW: Kris gave me a polite warning that maybe I should not be walking up to people's cattle and petting them. She said some owners are very particular about that. So Ronnie, Taylor and Margo got a lot of my attention. Kris has nice stock!

Bigfoot":1nmfvkz1 said:
Ahhhhhhhhh. Broadbent arena. I've spent a million hours there. Nice place for a show.

It was nice, but FREEZING! Never would I think I would have to wear my jacket in the middle of July while at a cattle show.... NEVER. I swear the barn and arena were kept at 65 degrees the entire time!!!!!! brrr....

Fire Sweep Ranch":qeqq62uq said:
Bigfoot":qeqq62uq said:

It was nice, but FREEZING! Never would I think I would have to wear my jacket in the middle of July while at a cattle show.... NEVER. I swear the barn and arena were kept at 65 degrees the entire time!!!!!! brrr....
Not me Kris. I even thought it was warm but comfortable. I guess you are not as hot as I as think you are. :lol2:

Latest posts