Silly question but I have to ask...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I was out yesterday feeding everything, gathering eggs and all that hobby stuff. I was about to go in and I was giving my donkies some apple horse treats. Here comes my future freezer full of beef calf, a Semmintal who was born in late December. He's a big friendly galloot, and so I toss him a horse treat cause he likes them. He's got his head up in the air with his tougue sticking out trying to get it, then I notice that he has no upper front teeth. Like if you or I had the first four teeth missing. So I look in there and feel around, nothing.

I realize that I got him at the sale barn and we aren't gonna do anything but get him fat anyway. He seems not to have problems eating hay or grass or grain. Is this something that anyone else sees? I am just curious. :?

Okay! That's makes me feel a mixture of stupid and better all at once! Gllad you cleared that up. I haven't ever make it my business to look.

Well, that's embarrassing... :oops: I'll go back to bed now...

Lammie,

One day I was bending over to pick something up in one of the calf pens. This blasted calf literally bit me on top of the head. After I got done whacking him with the bucket in my hand (thank goodness it was a plastic bucket), I went moaning and groaning to my brother. He started to laugh and tell me he couldn't see how in the world the calf could have taken a bite out of the top of my head. I told him, "With his d*mn teeth, you idiot...ya' know, those sharp, nasty things that run along the top and bottom of his mouth." He really started to laugh and said, "Sister, did you never know that these animals don't have top teeth?" I said, liar, liar, pants on fire...so he proceeded to show me.

I've been around baby calves most of my entire life, and it never occurred to me that they didn't have top teeth. So, darlin', don't feel alone. And, like you said, it's something that never occurred to me to look for...at least not until I got the top of my head chewed.

Alice

They don't have top teeth but you would sure think they did if you've ever been bit by a cow. They've got plenty of jaw muscle to make up for the lack of teeth. OUCH!

I am used to my donkeys. And they have plenty of teeth. I got bit last night as a matter of fact. Oh well, we live and learn. I have never had to stick my hand in there before. One reason why: calf slobbers. I think that old July would let me count his teeth if I wanted to. He just stands there, der de der...

I figured that Caustic would have made me eat my words by now. I deserve it.

Lammie":32j63m8o said:

Nobody on earth deserves that! :shock:

Alice

C HOLLAND":schommyv said:
Caustic Burno":schommyv said:
Lammie":schommyv said:

I have been to busy laughing.

I have marked this date on my calendar............ CUASTIC has a sense of humor

I have a heck of a sense of humor you would be amazed at what tickles me.

Caustic Burno":m2x0d78n said:
C HOLLAND":m2x0d78n said:
Caustic Burno":m2x0d78n said:
Lammie":m2x0d78n said:

I have marked this date on my calendar............ CUASTIC has a sense of humor

I have a heck of a sense of humor you would be amazed at what tickles me.

Me too ( a sense of humor that is), and I didn't even notice I spelled Caustic wrong.

Lammie":2xfh6sl8 said:

I figured this thread would be 5 pages by now, we have seen some good discussion about feeding out of a sack. But I figured feeding out of cows out of the hand would really get it moving along :D

aplusmnt":k1stei3u said:
Lammie":k1stei3u said:

I figured this thread would be 5 pages by now, we have seen some good discussion about feeding out of a sack. But I figured feeding out of cows out of the hand would really get it moving along :D

He's the only one that will eat out of my hand. I had a leftover horse treat and he was standing there... He's just so comical.

Caustic Burno":15vs9jee said:
Lammie":15vs9jee said:

They don't have tongues either. What they have is a long roll of rough grit sandpaper covered in slime. It sort of looks like a tongue.

Caustic Burno":2bbumpby said:
Lammie":2bbumpby said:

I am glad to have provided humor for everyone! Yes, it was one of my less than smart moments. I should have asked my dad first. Then he could have had a laugh with his friends. Thanks for taking it easy on me, everyone! :lol:

Lammie":2n5lzu2v said:
Caustic Burno":2n5lzu2v said:
Lammie":2n5lzu2v said:

I am glad to have provided humor for everyone! Yes, it was one of my less than smart moments. I should have asked my dad first. Then he could have had a laugh with his friends. Thanks for taking it easy on me, everyone! :lol:

Must be a hillbilly if he doesn;t have his teeth. Just think hillbilly comiocs black out their teeth and cows have the look naturally

dun

Latest posts