Signs of Fever???

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Jeanne you mentioned that a high fever will cause an abortion, what are the signs of a fever? I did read one time that cows and sheep do not perspire so when they have a fever beads of moisture will appear on their nose and if the fever is high the skin on the nose will peel. Is this true?
I have a 3 yo in the barn that has some skin peeling off of her nose near the hair line and I am wondering because her calf is weak and acts like she is a premie.

I'm not Jeanne, but here's what I would do...put her through the chute/squeeze and take her temp...THE BEST way to tell.

I luv herfrds":aa3ep8pe said:
Jeanne you mentioned that a high fever will cause an abortion, what are the signs of a fever? I did read one time that cows and sheep do not perspire so when they have a fever beads of moisture will appear on their nose and if the fever is high the skin on the nose will peel. Is this true?
I have a 3 yo in the barn that has some skin peeling off of her nose near the hair line and I am wondering because her calf is weak and acts like she is a premie.

That is true, but the peeling skin doesn't happen until they have either been fevered for a while, or after they are on the mend. Look for signs like droopy ears, slow movement, dragging feet. Those are signs that the animal is sick, and you should take the temperature.

We just went through the same thing with one of our cows. Knew she wasn't right as she had droopy ears, not getting up for the grain etc. When we caught her she was at 103.7 For cows I believe anything over 103.1 is considered to be a fever. Turns out she had a dead calf in her :(

Latest posts