Sickle pod ?

Help Support CattleToday:

sicklepod is still toxic after it has been dried. to my knowledge goats will not eat sicklepod. correct me if i am wrong. cattle would have to consume quite a bit over a few day period to become a problem. sorry i can't give you an exact amount

i have never had a problem either, but i sure don't want to. i agree with beefy, don't feed the hay.

Wouldn't that be like gathering all the guys noxious weed seed and bringing it to your place for you to have to contend with in the future? That being said, I do understand desperate times require desperate measures but how desperate are you. To me, it would depend on how much was in the field. If it was one here and there - probably. Much more than that, I'd think long and hard.

I cut a few acres that was fairley clean and it should be try this afternoon.
I wonder if this stuff will hurt goats? My girlfriend's dad has about 25 goated on 3 acres and feeds my hay. Well I can't tell the old man no and hay can't be found in my area. I have been trying to get him to sell some and I think I have talked him into it. All we got to do is figuer how to catch them. But in the mean time he is still feeding my hay. Next roll will be this stuff and either way it will help. I won't lose good hay or I will have less goats tyo feed.
Thank y'all for your help.

it will still hurt goats. i don't think it is worth feeding the hay with sickle pod. it may just open a huge can of worms.jmo

Sounds like desperate times. Wish you were closer cause I could give you a hay fix right quick. ;-) :lol:

Jogeephus":vlhu2th1 said:
Sounds like desperate times. Wish you were closer cause I could give you a hay fix right quick. ;-) :lol:

I think I will make the winter if the army worms don't get me. I am scouting for them every day and they ain't got me yet. I should get a cutting off all the hay fields about October first, weather premiting.
That crabgrass with the sicklepod, layed out in the sun 3.5 days without fluffing then raked and 3 more hours in the sun and wind. I rolled it and it was still wet. Rolls so heavy I could not pick up with my old loader (1968 JD 2020 w/ 143 loader). I left them on the edge of the field. They may catch fire. If we are lucky someone will steal them and we can follow the smoke to the crook. :lol:

They are spraying round up on the remaining 20 acres this morning trying to get ready to plant wheet.