9.5' IH sickle conditioner

Help Support CattleToday:

TheLazyM

Reaction score
I can buy a sickle conditioner for $500. I've always heard that sickles are more trouble than worth. What do yall think. I'm just now starting out cutting my own hay. This mower will just be a starting point. I'm planning on moving on to a disc mower. Funds holds me back at the moment from getting the mower that I really want.

They are pretty good. If its in good working condition then it might be worth about 300-400. We got ours for 150 I think and restored it. Cut with it the first time this year. It works good its just that the hay that has already been cut catches on the driveshaft and tangles all up. Disc Mowers are WAYYY better, but they also cost WAYYY more also. If this is just your starting point then yeah I would get it.

Thanks. This mower is ready to cut. One of the hydrolic lines leak. I've already found one at IH/Case for $25. THe seller has new knives for it just never installed them. They come with it.
Yea this is just a starting point. This fall and next spring I'm logging 30 acres of hardwoods to make hay fields. I'm taking that money off the trees and buying mowers, rake, and a baler. I'm just trying to stay out of debt as much as possible. My wife and I have talked about going ahead and buying then paying it off next spring, but I can wait. Even still we're in the worst drought that my area has had in a long long long time.
I'm not planning on getting into the hay busness. I'm looing at just growing my own. It may come down to selling some to make some ends meet.

The sickle mowers work pretty good but you will have to slow down - depending on what you're cutting - compared to a rotary cutter. They don't do rocks very well, though.

Earl Thigpen":s6sseiuh said:
The sickle mowers work pretty good but you will have to slow down - depending on what you're cutting - compared to a rotary cutter. They don't do rocks very well, though.

Tell me about it. My cows just leave the roks in the bottom of the feeders.
I'll be cutting fescue and pasture grass. I dont what it is to be honest. I'm hopeing by spring 09 I'll have moody grass sprigged. The guy around here is booked pretty solid and this drought has him behind. Some has told me that moody grass will be hard pressed to cut with a sickle. I'm hoping by the time I have moody to cut I'll be cutting with a disc.

Latest posts