Sickle bar mower

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Any body seen one for sale around oklahoma recently? I figure theres actually lots of em around sitting in the pasture. But so far no luck...
7 foot or so.
Heck I'd use a 5 foot if I could find one
3 point. No hydraulics.

Any body seen one for sale around oklahoma recently? I figure theres actually lots of em around sitting in the pasture. But so far no luck...
7 foot or so.
Heck I'd use a 5 foot if I could find one
3 point. No hydraulics.
The way some of the older sickle mowers hooked up they won't fit on the lift arms of newer tractors. Be sure it will work if you find one. Find a New Holland if you can. Around here one in real good condition is 1500 or so

Well, the plan is, to cut a couple lil spots and make some squares. These spots are just too small for the big swather or disc mower. Like an acre here, 2 acres there.
I finded one in Pueblo CO. If time wasnt such an issue I'd drive up there and snag it. Even has a 2 wheel 3pt rake with it

I suggest you read Job so you will have some idea of the patience you may need to develop to complete the task.
There is a reason you don't see them in use any more and my gut tells me you are about to find out why.
God bless your endeavors.............

I suggest you read Job so you will have some idea of the patience you may need to develop to complete the task.
There is a reason you don't see them in use any more and my gut tells me you are about to find out why.
God bless your endeavors.............
I have been known to spend way more time with an orphan and a mother cow who dont want to cooperate.

That being said, I'd sure like a real swather..

I have a couple of them and no way, no how do they cut the grass we have here.. they just plug every 20 ft.. I think we have a JD model 20?.. I can't remember
Oh, and they're a MISERY to hook up

I have a couple of them and no way, no how do they cut the grass we have here.. they just plug every 20 ft.. I think we have a JD model 20?.. I can't remember
Oh, and they're a MISERY to hook up
Haha!
I've been looking at that! The top link part doenst really look like a conventional type.
I've found a couple that hook up to the drawbar as well

They are handy for mowing fence rows and clipping pastures. Thick or blown down hay can be an exercise in futility with one, and can get the best of just about anyone's temper. Finding the right combination of ground speed and having the right bar angle are a big factor. There's still quite a few old Ford 501's sitting around in barns in my area from years gone by. Hopefully you can find One near you in good shape.

They are still common around here, at auctions or on fb marketplace, kinda handy for pond banks or ditches, but I would find a 6 /12 ft disc mower for hay.

Well, the plan is, to cut a couple lil spots and make some squares. These spots are just too small for the big swather or disc mower. Like an acre here, 2 acres there.
I finded one in Pueblo CO. If time wasnt such an issue I'd drive up there and snag it. Even has a 2 wheel 3pt rake with it
I don't see how a sickle bar mower will fit in tight spots any better than a disc mower.

I have 4 NH 451 s and one NH 456 on wheels. If the grass is dry and it does not have dead growth underneath, the sickle knives and guards are in good shape they will cut about any grass. They are kind of like the square balers as they got cheap at one time and now if in good shape they are not cheap any more. If I run upon a good deal I will buy another and I especially like the ones on wheels as you can use them with a large tractor. There is an adapter to put where the top link goes that will allow them to work on most smaller tractors. I have had a couple 450 s through the years, but sold as the improvements to the 451 helps.

A lil disc mower would be nice. But I dont think my lil 8n will run one. Even a small one. Price is a big deal too. New 7ft jd is 5k!! Not a disc mower, a sickle bar. Crazy!
You're probably correct. I've got a Vicon disc mower I used on a 730 Case that I haven't use in 3 years, and it might be too much weight on the back of an 8N. Been just buying hay!

The more I look at this, the more I need a bigger tractor!

I've run a kubota 10 or 12 foot disc mower alot with the guy I cut hay with. Really works good. It's in another county for a while tho. Lol

Thought it would be nice to be able to cut these 2 lil spots at my leisure and not rely on someone elses equipment.

Been enjoying the rain past 2 days. So itll wait a bit now