Disc mower height adjustment?

Help Support CattleToday:

scheff

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I picked up a used disc mower, JD 275, and have a few questions as I've never used one before. I took it for a real quick test run, which seemed mostly successful, but I'm a few areas in soft sandy soil, it really dug in more than I'd like. Not to mention the gophers have really done a number on a few areas, and the ground is very uneven. It was suggested that I let it fully ride along the ground adjusting the cut height only with the center link bar adjustment. That makes sense to me, but I wondering if the Float/Draft/Mixed 3 Point levers should be in any specific position so the cutter bar doesn't dig in so badly on uneven terrain? I admit, the Draft lever isn't something I've used before, just curious how others do it, or don't do it. Or should I just not lower the cutter all the way to the ground in these areas?
Thanks as always!

I'd look up a manual for it but on my Case MD82 the manual says to leave the hydraulics in float. I also have to install a pin in a spring to help take the weight off. The toplink to adjust height is correct but on some models you can tilt it back too far that the gears don't get oiled correctly. I think mine says not to go passed 10% level.

For a couple hundred bucks we got hi cut shoes for our Kuhn GMD 500, which is a copy of your JD 265 to my understanding. Sets the mower a couple inches higher. Sure helped stay out of our crop of rocks. Regrowth is awesome too. Worth every penny.

There is not much height adjustment on most disc mowers. I finally learned after too long that I was actually killing a lot of my grass by cutting it too close. I now run 4" skids under my Kubota (Vicon) mower. I can tilt the cutter bar a little lower in front but I don't tilt it much. I firmly believe that leaving 4" uncut allows the grass to recover much quicker and greatly increases the life of the blades.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate learning from your experience. I did find the online user manual, one day I'll read a manual first. (Not). High skid shoes are on the shopping list. The manual also refers to a "compensating spring" to increase/decrease down pressure of the cutter bar. I'll check this adjustment as well. Again, much appreciated!

i have a JD275 as well and I use the top link to tip it way back.. My grass is 7-8" left AFTER I cut it.

I tip it almost all the way back that the top link will go.. the disc mower will almost be pointing toward you in the tractor seat.

cuts great.. if you hit anything it just jumps over... and no, it doesn't cut on the rear side.

I usually set mine in the yard, if I'm cutting at home, 1.5 to 3 inches. Somewhere else, especially if I don't know the field, I start on the upper end and adjust. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Scalping a field usually costs you money, one way or another.

Latest posts