Disc Mower

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
I am looking at 3 disc mowers used.
Agco 5408 7 disc
hesston 3009 7 disc
NH 616 7 disc

I am leaning toward the AGCO any thoughts would be appreciated.

just depends on how they've been treated. all would be good mowers i'm sure. I see mostly JD and NH mowers used for sale .. getting great prices...

thommoos said:
Agco 5408 7 disc
hesston 3009 7 disc
NH 616 7 disc

Personally I would look for a vicon or kuhn

I hear good things about the New Idea design cutterbar which,I'm thinking, might have been in the 5408 Agco and Hesston 3309.Hopefully,someone will correct this if it isn't right.
New Holland 616 is.I think,a Kuhn made cutterbar.I believe that is the number of the disc mower we had once.Cut well but could never get it to cut high enough stubble to suit us.Don't know if high skids were available or not.Kuhn design uses a common sump and you would need to let the fluid flow back to the end cutter when lowering from vertical before engagement of the PTO to keep from running it dry.I think the New Idea had individual pods.

Not positive but I think the nh 616 is a 6 head, 617 is a 7 head 9ft cut and heavy depending on the year, I wouldn't run the 617 with anything less than 80 hp.
Have a nh 617 and Kuhn gmd 600 7ft 10in cut I cut alot more hay with the Kuhn, lighter and smaller hp tractor

thommoos said:
Agco 5408 7 disc
hesston 3009 7 disc
NH 616 7 disc

Agco 5408, Hesston 3009 and NH 616 all use the same bar as the Lely's as did the vermeer disk mowers. I had a Lely and it is the junk pile now lasted one season.

Latest posts