Swath Wheel on Mower

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anyone ran a disc mower without the swath Wheel? Goal would be to leave it wide and thin behind the mower. About to cut some thick red clover and thinking, maybe a little too much, about removing the swath Wheel. Have a kuhn gmd.

Have googled to see if any discussion exists, but found none.

Could it wrap around the outside turtle creating a mess?

Yep, I bought a green Kuhn (JD) last year and it does not have a wheel. I like how it spreads the grass. I tedder so it doesn't matter greatly but yes, I think it helps dry time a little.

mine broke off, cut probably 50 acres like that, no problems, hopefully ill get it back on in the morning, I like the clean spot for my tires.

Anyone ran a disc mower without the swath Wheel? Goal would be to leave it wide and thin behind the mower. About to cut some thick red clover and thinking, maybe a little too much, about removing the swath Wheel. Have a kuhn gmd.

How did it work for you? Did it wrap around the outside turtle or did it just lay it out flat? I'm wanting to do the same thing to speed up drying time.

Here it is usually tedded right after it is cut or say it is cut in the evening, it would be tedded the next morning right before the dew is burning off. Haven't seen it ruined doing it this way.

There would be a lot of rained on hay or hay bales to wet if it wasn't tedded here.

Here it is usually tedded right after it is cut or say it is cut in the evening, it would be tedded the next morning right before the dew is burning off. Haven't seen it ruined doing it this way.

There would be a lot of rained on hay or hay bales to wet if it wasn't tedded here.
Absolutely. I use a tedder as you described. Only when green or wet with dew.

Lots of people here will Ted it every day til it's dry. And most think it silly to touch hay when it's tough with dew.

A lot of the hay I see for sale here has no seed heads left intact, leaves shattered to pieces.

I get into an almost heated debate every year with my hay helper, Dad 😂. He wants to Ted it on day 3 and 4. He runs slow ground speed and high rpm when tending. Cannot get him to understand the concept. He "knows" his method is correct because he's been told by others how and when to do it. Last year I took the PTO shift off the tedder and put in my truck. Kept it with me so he couldn't use the tedder. 🤠

Latest posts