SICK CALF

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowboy123

Reaction score
I have a two day old bull calf that I got colostrum in him about 8 hrs. after birth but he never was able to to nurse moma (either from weekness or the she won't let him). I have been tubing every 8-12 hours with a milk supplement and gave him 10 cc of la200 but still not seeing any noticable results. When I get him up to walk around he stay up for about 5 minutes then he lays back down. I think he needs to be on his feet more but I can't be there all day and moma is of no help. Also, his poop is yellowish with some blood in it but its not runny.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I seems to me new born calves usually lay down most of the time and get up to only feed for about a week then usually move around and get into things after that. yellowish poop is normal first bowel movement not sure about the blood but I would watch him and if the blood continues then I would ask a vet. JMO

Cowboy123":3v4lcn9o said:
I have a two day old bull calf that I got colostrum in him about 8 hrs. after birth but he never was able to to nurse moma (either from weekness or the she won't let him). I have been tubing every 8-12 hours with a milk supplement and gave him 10 cc of la200 but still not seeing any noticable results. When I get him up to walk around he stay up for about 5 minutes then he lays back down. I think he needs to be on his feet more but I can't be there all day and moma is of no help. Also, his poop is yellowish with some blood in it but its not runny.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Have you got a way to pen the cow and the calf? If so get someone to help you get em together. Call a vet soon if the calf has value to you.....

Have you got a way to pen the cow and the calf? If so get someone to help you get em together. Call a vet soon if the calf has value to you.....Kingfisher
Rancher

Yes I have both together in a 10 x 20 horse stall out of the weather. Called the vet yesterday and still no call back.

New babys spend probalby 90% or more of their time sleeping. Bull calves seem to be more prone to it then heifrs, by 10 days to 2 weeks they're usually up and around and full of trouble.
Call the vet again!

when i hear stories like this where the vet dont return your call it makes me realize how lucky i am 2 hav the vet i do.she is great and is never 2 busy 2 help or offer free advice.

Update: Vet finally called back and said I was doing about all I can do and that I must accept that there might be something interally wrong with the calf. Went home last night and he was hanging on by a thread. I could hear liquid in his gut when I stood him up. I would think that his belly should be empty after 8 hours though. He died at about 12 pm. I only have 10 head and I have lost 4 calves in 12 months (for different reasons) so now I am second guessing everything I do. I have another one springing right now so hopefully it will go smoother.

Thanks for the help.

Cowboy123":3t2henru said:
Update: Vet finally called back and said I was doing about all I can do and that I must accept that there might be something interally wrong with the calf. Went home last night and he was hanging on by a thread. I could hear liquid in his gut when I stood him up. I would think that his belly should be empty after 8 hours though. He died at about 12 pm. I only have 10 head and I have lost 4 calves in 12 months (for different reasons) so now I am second guessing everything I do. I have another one springing right now so hopefully it will go smoother.

Thanks for the help.

There's always opportunity to learn, but I've been doing this for years and lost 4 one year to dummy calf - the slang term for what you may have experienced. Part may be operator error - learn and move on - frequently it's shyt happens. I would suggest you know how/why each calf died to the extent you can so you can learn.

Dummy Calf Syndrome is used to describe a calf that is Selenium Deficient. Se affects the large muscles: heart, lungs, legs, TONGUE, etc.
Cowboy123 - where are you located? Most areas in the USA are Selenium Deficient. In you are in a deficient area or borderline deficient - you should be giving your newborn calves a shot of BoSe (must get from the vet - not very expensive). Also, if your area is deficient the COWS should be getting a loose mineral with Selenium in the formula.
I give 4cc/100# (only recommends 2.75 - 3.5/100#)
SE deficiency affects lots of different aspect of bovines. Calving difficulties, cycling, rebreeding, poor hair coat, retained placentas, dummy calves, etc.

Thanks for your input. I am in North Texas so I am not sure about the Selenium Deficientcy. The other three died as followed. One was aborted 2 months premature so I started vac. w/ Triange 9 in case of lepto, one died after 8 days in which she nursed good for 6 of the first days w/ no scours and one drown in my stock tank shortly after he was born. This last one was the mother of the calf that died yesterday so they have been penned for this birth. Needless to say this cow is taking a ride.

Dang - 4 calves now out of 10 head. Ouch!
If I were you, I would seriously pick up some BoSe from your vet. It's like maybe $15/btl??
The two biggest affects on calves is the "Dumb sucker" and White Muscle Disease. As mentioned, SE affects the large muscles. A week old calf - or a month old calf, can be fine, than start running & playing & drop dead from heart failure. When the muscle is cut open, it's supposed to be whitish colored - hence the name WMD.
We give all our newborns A&D Vitamin shot & BoSe (and dip the naval in iodine).

I give the bose at birth too, but sometimes if they chill to fast for some reason or have a particularly hard birth, they can have trouble getting up and sucking. I suppose, under the strictest sense, that probably isn't dummy calf then is it . . .

angus9259":1ma6h4j7 said:
I give the bose at birth too, but sometimes if they chill to fast for some reason or have a particularly hard birth, they can have trouble getting up and sucking. I suppose, under the strictest sense, that probably isn't dummy calf then is it . . .
Correct - that is STRESS - which will kill a calf in a hurry.

Latest posts