Show Steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":23noyfyz said:
Two-breed rotation or criss-cross (Figure 1). Rotational systems involve a specific cyclical pattern of mating breeds of bulls to progeny resulting from a preceding cross. The simplest example of a rotational system is the two-breed rotation or criss-cross system.

Figure 1
Breeding scheme for a two-breed rotational crossbreeding system

A series of alternating backcrosses are used in the two-breed rotation. In a Hereford-Angus rotation, progeny resulting from an initial Hereford-Angus cross would be backcrossed to one of the parental breeds, say Angus. The resulting backcross progeny, 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Hereford, are mated to Hereford bulls. Progeny resulting from this third generation are mated to Angus bulls and this cyclical pattern continues.

After three generations, breed composition stabilizes at approximately 2/3 the breed of the sire and 1/3 the remaining breed. In this example, generation four calves are sired by an Angus bull and are approximately 2/3 Angus and 1/3 Hereford.

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/a ... g02040.htm

Scroll down to "Rotational Crossbreeding Systems". I'm not making this stuff up.

thats some interesting info van, thanks for sharing. i guess i never really thought too hard on it but i'm glad to know now. makes good sense

4-H_Kid07":3uk4majf said:
CPL":3uk4majf said:
4-H_Kid07":3uk4majf said:
CPL":3uk4majf said:
I think that if the sire is a fullblood limi he might be at a disadvantage. Try posting a picture though.
Why might that be?

The "fullbloods" lost alot of ground when most of the breeders went black.

So....I have a BLACK Limosin Cross.. What do you mean they lost alot of ground?

Is the sire of the calf black or red?

CPL":3788hctv said:
4-H_Kid07":3788hctv said:
4-H_Kid07":3788hctv said:
I think that if the sire is a fullblood limi he might be at a disadvantage. Try posting a picture though.
Why might that be?

Black

4-H_Kid07":2rw01p9l said:
CPL":2rw01p9l said:
Why might that be?

Black

Ok that changes it. Disregard my earlier post.

Good Luck with your new calf and be sure to post pictures soon! ;-)

VanC":1b7530tt said:
randiliana":1b7530tt said:
Chris H":1b7530tt said:
KNERSIE":1b7530tt said:
Chris H":1b7530tt said:
Maybe they're like me, and wonder how do you get a 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3?

It's possible, but would be very unusual. If you bred a bull that was 2/3 Limi 1/3 Angus to a cow that was 2/3 Hereford 1/3 Angus, the calf would be 1/3 Limi 1/3 Hereford and 1/3 Angus. Well, I think so anyway. ;-)

I was busy trying to figure it out just to be a wise arse and you beat me to it ;-)

OK, just for fun, how do you get an animal 1/3 x 2/3? :lol:

Two-Breed Rotational Cross. In this system, bulls of two breeds are used. Females sired by a bull of a particular breed are mated to a bull of the other breed. Thus, after several generations, approximately two-thirds of the genetics of each calf result from the breed it was sired by, one-third from the other breed.

A guy down the road from me does it with Angus and Simmies. Pretty simple really. Only drawback is you need 2 breeding pastures (unless you AI), and you have to keep track of which cows were sired by which breed of bull.

Ummmm, no, that would be 3/4 and 1/4. As far as I know you can never get 1/3 when you are breeding 1/2's.

If you keep alternating the same two breeds you will.

Two-breed rotation or criss-cross (Figure 1). Rotational systems involve a specific cyclical pattern of mating breeds of bulls to progeny resulting from a preceding cross. The simplest example of a rotational system is the two-breed rotation or criss-cross system.

Figure 1

A series of alternating backcrosses are used in the two-breed rotation. In a Hereford-Angus rotation, progeny resulting from an initial Hereford-Angus cross would be backcrossed to one of the parental breeds, say Angus. The resulting backcross progeny, 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Hereford, are mated to Hereford bulls. Progeny resulting from this third generation are mated to Angus bulls and this cyclical pattern continues.

After three generations, breed composition stabilizes at approximately 2/3 the breed of the sire and 1/3 the remaining breed. In this example, generation four calves are sired by an Angus bull and are approximately 2/3 Angus and 1/3 Hereford.

Scroll down to "Rotational Crossbreeding Systems". I'm not making this stuff up.

does it really matter?

CPL":3p1nk3bw said:
4-H_Kid07":3p1nk3bw said:
Why might that be?

Black

Ok that changes it. Disregard my earlier post.

Good Luck with your new calf and be sure to post pictures soon! ;-)

LOL! Ok...I will.

trev769":2foy1rur said:
VanC":2foy1rur said:
randiliana":2foy1rur said:
Chris H":2foy1rur said:
KNERSIE":2foy1rur said:
Chris H":2foy1rur said:
Maybe they're like me, and wonder how do you get a 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3?

It's possible, but would be very unusual. If you bred a bull that was 2/3 Limi 1/3 Angus to a cow that was 2/3 Hereford 1/3 Angus, the calf would be 1/3 Limi 1/3 Hereford and 1/3 Angus. Well, I think so anyway. ;-)

I was busy trying to figure it out just to be a wise arse and you beat me to it ;-)

OK, just for fun, how do you get an animal 1/3 x 2/3? :lol:

Two-Breed Rotational Cross. In this system, bulls of two breeds are used. Females sired by a bull of a particular breed are mated to a bull of the other breed. Thus, after several generations, approximately two-thirds of the genetics of each calf result from the breed it was sired by, one-third from the other breed.

A guy down the road from me does it with Angus and Simmies. Pretty simple really. Only drawback is you need 2 breeding pastures (unless you AI), and you have to keep track of which cows were sired by which breed of bull.

Ummmm, no, that would be 3/4 and 1/4. As far as I know you can never get 1/3 when you are breeding 1/2's.

If you keep alternating the same two breeds you will.

Figure 1

does it really matter?

Trev, if you want to do more in life than knowing how to grow great hair, like breeding & feeding a great calf under that hair, then yes, it really does matter! What you learn now will help you in your life. If you want to be a hairdresser then I guess you can concentrate on growing hair and don't worry about genetics, math, nutrition, etc.

Chris H":n122l8iy said:
Trev, if you want to do more in life than knowing how to grow great hair, like breeding & feeding a great calf under that hair, then yes, it really does matter! What you learn now will help you in your life. If you want to be a hairdresser then I guess you can concentrate on growing hair and don't worry about genetics, math, nutrition, etc.

:D :D

Thanks... I have to delete some pics off my camera so I can take some of the steers. I found out yesterday that I get my sisters steer. Woot Woot. Another one to train... :lol: The is the same breed as the other one... But her has a white face... And then I am going to have a dairy steer too!

Latest posts