Show Steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

4-H_Kid07

Reaction score
I have a 1/3 Limi 1/3 hereford 1/3 angus show steer. All black. Is that good for a steer? I will try to post pics soon...

4-H_Kid07":3d54shph said:
How come no one with answer me?

Maybe they're like me, and wonder how do you get a 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3? Math is important, so study hard.

Post the picture, too. The breeds you mentioned are all used in show steers. Whether your steer is good or not depends on his individual makeup.

4-H_Kid07":3urlm5tw said:
How come no one with answer me?

you gotta give people time, too. there is only 20 minutes between posts. not everyone will be on the same time as you.

the breeds involved tell just about nothing on whether your steer has potential to be good or not. its the genetics within each breed that you utilize that will be the determinant of quality in your steer. there are many good steers out there with limi, hereford and/or angus blood in them, but there are also a lot of steers with the same breeds in them that are not anywhere close to show quality. pictures are just about the only way that someone on the internet, that has never seen your animal in person, can even think about giving an opinion in regards to the quality of your steer.

Ryan

Chris H":o4zeusia said:
Maybe they're like me, and wonder how do you get a 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3?

It's possible, but would be very unusual. If you bred a bull that was 2/3 Limi 1/3 Angus to a cow that was 2/3 Hereford 1/3 Angus, the calf would be 1/3 Limi 1/3 Hereford and 1/3 Angus. Well, I think so anyway. ;-)

VanC":2kyz43ov said:
Chris H":2kyz43ov said:

It's possible, but would be very unusual. If you bred a bull that was 2/3 Limi 1/3 Angus to a cow that was 2/3 Hereford 1/3 Angus, the calf would be 1/3 Limi 1/3 Hereford and 1/3 Angus. Well, I think so anyway. ;-)

I was busy trying to figure it out just to be a wise arse and you beat me to it ;-)

KNERSIE":2myed592 said:
VanC":2myed592 said:
Chris H":2myed592 said:

I was busy trying to figure it out just to be a wise arse and you beat me to it ;-)

OK, just for fun, how do you get an animal 1/3 x 2/3? :lol:

Chris H":6ucu00wb said:
KNERSIE":6ucu00wb said:
VanC":6ucu00wb said:
Chris H":6ucu00wb said:

Two-Breed Rotational Cross. In this system, bulls of two breeds are used. Females sired by a bull of a particular breed are mated to a bull of the other breed. Thus, after several generations, approximately two-thirds of the genetics of each calf result from the breed it was sired by, one-third from the other breed.

A guy down the road from me does it with Angus and Simmies. Pretty simple really. Only drawback is you need 2 breeding pastures (unless you AI), and you have to keep track of which cows were sired by which breed of bull.

VanC":jgwvvf75 said:
Chris H":jgwvvf75 said:
KNERSIE":jgwvvf75 said:
VanC":jgwvvf75 said:
Chris H":jgwvvf75 said:

Two-Breed Rotational Cross. In this system, bulls of two breeds are used. Females sired by a bull of a particular breed are mated to a bull of the other breed. Thus, after several generations, approximately two-thirds of the genetics of each calf result from the breed it was sired by, one-third from the other breed.

A guy down the road from me does it with Angus and Simmies. Pretty simple really. Only drawback is you need 2 breeding pastures (unless you AI), and you have to keep track of which cows were sired by which breed of bull.

Ummmm, no, that would be 3/4 and 1/4. As far as I know you can never get 1/3 when you are breeding 1/2's.

randiliana":175zubr2 said:
VanC":175zubr2 said:
Chris H":175zubr2 said:
KNERSIE":175zubr2 said:
VanC":175zubr2 said:
Chris H":175zubr2 said:

Ummmm, no, that would be 3/4 and 1/4. As far as I know you can never get 1/3 when you are breeding 1/2's.

If you keep alternating the same two breeds you will.

Two-breed rotation or criss-cross (Figure 1). Rotational systems involve a specific cyclical pattern of mating breeds of bulls to progeny resulting from a preceding cross. The simplest example of a rotational system is the two-breed rotation or criss-cross system.

Figure 1
Breeding scheme for a two-breed rotational crossbreeding system

A series of alternating backcrosses are used in the two-breed rotation. In a Hereford-Angus rotation, progeny resulting from an initial Hereford-Angus cross would be backcrossed to one of the parental breeds, say Angus. The resulting backcross progeny, 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Hereford, are mated to Hereford bulls. Progeny resulting from this third generation are mated to Angus bulls and this cyclical pattern continues.

After three generations, breed composition stabilizes at approximately 2/3 the breed of the sire and 1/3 the remaining breed. In this example, generation four calves are sired by an Angus bull and are approximately 2/3 Angus and 1/3 Hereford.

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/a ... g02040.htm

Scroll down to "Rotational Crossbreeding Systems". I'm not making this stuff up.

VanC":2r3tlyqo said:
Chris H":2r3tlyqo said:

sie 100% limo
dam- 1/2 angus 1/2 hereford

4-H_Kid07":31ilcyy7 said:
VanC":31ilcyy7 said:
Chris H":31ilcyy7 said:

sie 100% limo
dam- 1/2 angus 1/2 hereford

That would make your steer 1/2 Lim, 1/4 Hereford and 1/4 Angus. We can't tell you if he's any good or not without seeing him, but I wish you good luck.

I think that if the sire is a fullblood limi he might be at a disadvantage. Try posting a picture though.

VanC":3f29hm3z said:
randiliana":3f29hm3z said:
Chris H":3f29hm3z said:
KNERSIE":3f29hm3z said:
Chris H":3f29hm3z said:

If you keep alternating the same two breeds you will.

Two-breed rotation or criss-cross (Figure 1). Rotational systems involve a specific cyclical pattern of mating breeds of bulls to progeny resulting from a preceding cross. The simplest example of a rotational system is the two-breed rotation or criss-cross system.

Figure 1
Breeding scheme for a two-breed rotational crossbreeding system

A series of alternating backcrosses are used in the two-breed rotation. In a Hereford-Angus rotation, progeny resulting from an initial Hereford-Angus cross would be backcrossed to one of the parental breeds, say Angus. The resulting backcross progeny, 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Hereford, are mated to Hereford bulls. Progeny resulting from this third generation are mated to Angus bulls and this cyclical pattern continues.

After three generations, breed composition stabilizes at approximately 2/3 the breed of the sire and 1/3 the remaining breed. In this example, generation four calves are sired by an Angus bull and are approximately 2/3 Angus and 1/3 Hereford.

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/a ... g02040.htm

Scroll down to "Rotational Crossbreeding Systems". I'm not making this stuff up.

Good article. I have to admit I was messing with you folks a bit on the fractions. I'm a computer programmer during the day, help with the cattle when I'm home. Math is important in my job and 'approximately' usually isn't a good answer in my job.
Take the 2 breed cross you mentioned.
First cross H x A: 1/2 H, 1/2 A
Second cross using H: 3/4 H, 1/4 A
Third cross using A: 3/8 H, 5/8 A
Fourth cross using H: 11/16 H, 5/16 A
The 11/16 is .6875, that is close to .666666 or 2/3. In this case, I doubt 11/16 is measureably different than 2/3. But, if you owe someone 2/3 of 100,000 would you want to give them 11/16 of 100,000 instead?
I'm not trying to be a pain, or start an arguement, I'm just trying to get the kids here to realize the importance of math in their lives. If they see a practical application, it's easier to study it.
Again, that was an interesting article about crossbreeding.

4-H_Kid07":rvqlvb8j said:
CPL":rvqlvb8j said:
I think that if the sire is a fullblood limi he might be at a disadvantage. Try posting a picture though.
Why might that be?

The "fullbloods" lost alot of ground when most of the breeders went black.

CPL":fpsm0xxm said:
4-H_Kid07":fpsm0xxm said:
CPL":fpsm0xxm said:
Why might that be?

The "fullbloods" lost alot of ground when most of the breeders went black.

So....I have a BLACK Limosin Cross.. What do you mean they lost alot of ground?

Chris H":pguuzwgp said:
Good article. I have to admit I was messing with you folks a bit on the fractions. I'm a computer programmer during the day, help with the cattle when I'm home. Math is important in my job and 'approximately' usually isn't a good answer in my job.
Take the 2 breed cross you mentioned.
First cross H x A: 1/2 H, 1/2 A
Second cross using H: 3/4 H, 1/4 A
Third cross using A: 3/8 H, 5/8 A
Fourth cross using H: 11/16 H, 5/16 A
The 11/16 is .6875, that is close to .666666 or 2/3. In this case, I doubt 11/16 is measureably different than 2/3. But, if you owe someone 2/3 of 100,000 would you want to give them 11/16 of 100,000 instead?
I'm not trying to be a pain, or start an arguement, I'm just trying to get the kids here to realize the importance of math in their lives. If they see a practical application, it's easier to study it.
Again, that was an interesting article about crossbreeding.

I understand your emphasis on the math. It's important in all our lives, even though most of us don't realize it.

As for the 2 breed rotation, I suppose the breed make-up would get a little closer to 2/3 and 1/3 with each cross, but never actually get there completly. Kind of like all these breeds that have turned black over the years. Since Angus was used in the initial cross (at least most of the time), there will always be a little Angus left in there no matter how many generations down the line you go. It will never be 100% of any breed.

Latest posts