show heifer prospects

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom":1vxxqdk8 said:
AAOK":1vxxqdk8 said:
We have a very small Maine-Anjou & Simmental Show Calf operation. Although we have only ten cows, we have bred and exibited several National division champ. heifers including a couple of Res. National Champions. We now sell all of our calves, bulls for breeding and heifers for show. Our normal price range is from $1000 to $2500. Heifers usually sell higher than bulls, but my highest sellers, $3500 & $4000, were both bulls. I am prejudiced, but confident that we have two or three cows as good as any top donor in the nation. I would be hard pressed to even price my favorite cows, but I don't see why any show heifer should sell for over $5000. My 2 Cents..........

Maybe not but if someone came to you ranch with money in hand would you take it??

To answer your question: What kind of nut would wave their money before asking for the price? I have never priced a heifer higher than $4K, yet we have sold show calves and exhibited ourselves, calves that have stood in front of $20K calves much more often than the other way around. Call me stupid, but I just can't see doing business any way other than fair and honest. I'm not saying that it is dishonest to sell a heifer for $20K, but I sure wouldn't call it ethical.

AAOK":1ryysso1 said:
txshowmom":1ryysso1 said:
AAOK":1ryysso1 said:
We have a very small Maine-Anjou & Simmental Show Calf operation. Although we have only ten cows, we have bred and exibited several National division champ. heifers including a couple of Res. National Champions. We now sell all of our calves, bulls for breeding and heifers for show. Our normal price range is from $1000 to $2500. Heifers usually sell higher than bulls, but my highest sellers, $3500 & $4000, were both bulls. I am prejudiced, but confident that we have two or three cows as good as any top donor in the nation. I would be hard pressed to even price my favorite cows, but I don't see why any show heifer should sell for over $5000. My 2 Cents..........

Maybe not but if someone came to you ranch with money in hand would you take it??

To answer your question: What kind of nut would wave their money before asking for the price? I have never priced a heifer higher than $4K, yet we have sold show calves and exhibited ourselves, calves that have stood in front of $20K calves much more often than the other way around. Call me stupid, but I just can't see doing business any way other than fair and honest. I'm not saying that it is dishonest to sell a heifer for $20K, but I sure wouldn't call it ethical.

We have had people offer us big $$$$ for some of the heifers we were showing when we told them they were not for sale. We don't price our cattle that we are selling that high but we keep the very best to show ourselves. When you have it and they want it and they are willing to pay for it........... who am I to NOT take their money. It's called BUISNESS.

Just happen to have a Meyer 734 grandaughter. 4 years old, that was grand and reserve champion several times, and breed champion at every jackpot that we competed in. We really like this cow, and so far has been a good producer. However, if you are willing to pay enough for her bloodlines, we would certainly sell her for the right price.

$$$$$$$MAKE AN OFFER$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scotty":1bizbnep said:
I'll get this ball a rollin. 2 cents and no more. :lol:

Scotty

Always the genleman Scotty. I am sure they are seriously considering you offer as we speak. :roll:

I have only ever had to purchase just one show heifer. ( Similar family lines as my herd. ) The owner of the herd was not aware of her quality and I was able to purchase her for $800-- pre-weaning price. She went on to win the first 3 shows I brought her to, and placed 2nd many times the first year of showing her. Her always calm temperment made her a crowd favorite. Everyone wanted to hug her and have photos taken with her. I have retained her heifer calf as a replacement. Wish I had 10 more of them~!

Wow..another testimonial to the fact that you don't have to spend a fortune to find a good show calf!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

i guess the show buisness is an intense buisness....wow im have never read so many people being mad at one another wow......amazing who cares how much you pay for a freakin heifer or bull.....is it winning some people go to extremes and pay 5 grand for a winning bull or heifer some have turned a 550.00 dollar bull into a champion it s all in the genetics and the time and feed that you put in it folks ....thats

Yeah, the cattle showing world is intense. Especially with all of the black cattle competition. I live in California and my sisters and I have been showing for about 8 years, and every year it seems like we pay more and more for steers, just so we can compete and run with the big dogs. But it's all worth it! We love to compete and we love to win! ;-)

Wow! Some really interesting posts! :shock: It probably depends on the level of competition in your area, and what are you trying to accomplish as the end result.

The most we have ever paid was $5000. We don't have a problem paying for our breeding stock. The goal is to have productive maternal genetics, and in the long run, we make our money back several times over with the calves they produce. The show ring is a fun experience that we love, but the heifers come back home and work!

This is an interesting topic for someone like myself who has grown up with crossbreeds but is now looking to get into starting a registered program. It's defenitely a little disheartening though to see how upset people get at each other over how much of their own money they spend on their cattle.

Also, I was wondering if someone could explain to me why txag would say that this is a rude question to ask seeing as how no one is forced to answer? It's not like a face to face conversation where someone might feel obliged to answer. It's an anonymous forum.

My wife says I can be a bit too laid back sometimes so trust me, it could just be me. :)

J7":oju87q40 said:
Also, I was wondering if someone could explain to me why txag would say that this is a rude question to ask seeing as how no one is forced to answer? It's not like a face to face conversation where someone might feel obliged to answer. It's an anonymous forum.

My wife says I can be a bit too laid back sometimes so trust me, it could just be me. :)

I always thought that was interesting too, but, if you check alot of txag's post you will find that she seems to think that it's her way or your doing it wrong. Also, if you don't raise herefords, then you got the wrong breed.

I try not to read certain people's post on here that I know are quoteing information out of textbooks.

I also wondered why certain people on here, including txag, think that it's rude to ask someone how many cattle they have. I always figured it was because they talk bigger than how many they actually own.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

cul8r --- Gosh, I don't know how you came up with the feeling that txag's posts indicate a notion that if you don't raise Herefords you have the wrong breed. On the contrary, I think she has been really low key about her chosen breed, much more so than some other Hereford, Angus, etc. breeders.

Also, I of course know nothing of your background, where you were raised, etc. --- but many folks, perhaps Texans in particular, think it is just plain rude and exceedingly nosey to ask a person how many cattle they own, how many acres of land they own, etc. In my view, those sort of questions would be similar to me asking you how many dollars you have in your bank account, or what is the value of your investment portfolio. If someone with whom you are acquainted wants to voluntarily share such info with you that's their business, but you just shouldn't ask (regardless of the fact that the other person isn't compelled to answer such a question) --- and if someone chooses to voluntarily give out that sort of personal info I sure don't feel that there is any requirement of reciprocity on the part of the other party.

AZ- Maybe you should go and research txag's post.

I am 5 generation Texan and proud of it. The part of Texas that I am from talking about how many cattle you run is not rude. But then, you are from the Houston area. Not that many cattle or native Texans in that part of the state anymore. Hard to raise cattle on concrete and asphalt. Not that many big tracts of land left to run cattle on. Most cow pastures are full of trailer houses, not cattle in your area.

Hello again cul8r --- I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree regarding "txag".

You're right; it is awfully hard to raise cattle on Houston area concrete and asphalt. :lol: But you might be surprised at how many cattle are in fact raised in Harris and the nearby counties. You really don't have to drive very far to get to areas that are predominantly farm and ranch oriented, and quite a few pretty large operations.

At any rate, like you, I also talk to friends and acquaintances about their cattle numbers, cattle raising practices, acreage employed, etc. Some of those folks are part-timers like me and some are full time farmers & ranchers. I'd say that a number of them have bared their financial souls to me, knowing what my primary occupation is, but certainly not as a result of queries I initiated. For others, what I know of their cattle numbers, acreage, etc. is the result of them initially volunteering information during casual conversation, inviting me to their place for work or play, etc. Later, of course, the normal progression of discussion typically causes additional info to be revealed by them and me. I guess I was just raised to never initiate the sort of questions I mentioned earlier, especially when talking with strangers or persons with whom I'm not well acquainted. And the folks with whom I associate seem to have been raised the same way. I think that whether or not questions are rude most times simply depends on the nature and length of the relationship between the parties.

Perhaps I'm just overly sensitive to intrusiveness and all the individuals, businesses, hucksters, big government, etc. trying to find out things that I think are none of their business.

However, if your style works well for you, and your friends and acquaintances don't seem to object or feel you are being intrusive --- well have at it, no harm done and more power to you. And I mean that sincerely.

Have a great weekend. AZ

p.s. --- Sorry other readers. I didn't mean to get so long winded and I guess this would have been a good occasion to use a PM.

cul8r,

Most of us don't have to research txag's posts. We all know she knows her stuff and is very well respected here. I happen to think she is very openminded, especially since she runs a commercial herd alond with the herefords. Might have bit off more than you can chew if you keep up the disrespect.

cul8r":1fnrn40g said:
I also wondered why certain people on here, including txag, think that it's rude to ask someone how many cattle they have.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Because we were raised better than you.. I'm glad yours went to Texas. Guess they wish yours would have stayed here.

Your advice is probaly worth your estimate.

i still dont think its rude to ask how many head of cattle somebody's got, never will. and apparently others around me dont think its rude either. in fact one of first few questions i hear asked at the salebarns is "about how many head do y'all run?" and "what breeds?" or maybe "you buying or selling today?"

none of these is necessarily anyone's business if you want to categorize questions like that. they are innocent conversation starters. chill out, get a thicker skin, everyone is not out to get you. i would really like to know the why behind someone getting so offended by this. other than "its rude. because it just is." that doesnt cut it for me but i also dont care if you think its rude or not.

Anyway, i havent even noticed txag on in a long while. no doubt hard at work and doesnt have time to post. but i'm pretty sure she has brangus bulls on some hereford cows. mark this down on your calendar, i agree with muratic, txag knows her stuff and is a respected member here.

Beefy,

Is asking "how much money you making?" rude.

Latest posts