Show Calf question?

Help Support CattleToday:

francismilker

Reaction score
My daughter's show calf has been leading well now for 60 days until last week when it got pneumonia. The vet gave it some meds and it appears to be getting better and it's breathing is back to normal. It just won't lead anymore. It's a very calm calf and doesn't show any signs of being a "nut case" it just locks up when you apply pressure forward. Anyone got any suggestions? I've only got about 4 weeks to get it back into the swing of thing before it goes on full feed for the rate of gain competition.
I don't want to be jacking with it and getting it upset to cause it to go off of feed. In the past, we've had them leading well and pretty much turned them loose at the feed trough for the duration of the feeding out process. It weighs 722 now and I don't want to be going through this leading problem at 1122!
Thanks.

Reward, reward, reward!

Remove all water and feed from the pen for 24 hours. Halter the calf, and tie it up for about 30 minutes to an hour. Get a water bucket, and set it about 6 feet from the calf. Untie the calf, and lead it to the water, even if you are moving only an inch at a time. Follow up leading another 5 - 6 feet to the feed. Repeat twice a day. (do not leave any food or water in the pen) Your calf should be leading well in 2 or 3 days.

Where do you live? Francis?

The calf will actually lead a few feed from and to the feed trough in the morning and evening. I can dump the feed in the trough, grab the lead rope, and take off for a few feet in about a 12' circle back to the trough. Once he has decided he's done leading, he locks up and you need a Mack truck to move him any further away. He will always lead back to the trough. He just doesn't want to go away from his pen into new territory. It just seems odd to me because he was doing so well for my girl last week. We've only been showing three years and he's been the easiest to break-in so far. He just quit all of a sudden and hasn't shown any interest in coming back. Thanks for the help.

francismilker":1kak6pkw said:
The calf will actually lead a few feed from and to the feed trough in the morning and evening. I can dump the feed in the trough, grab the lead rope, and take off for a few feet in about a 12' circle back to the trough. Once he has decided he's done leading, he locks up and you need a Mack truck to move him any further away. He will always lead back to the trough. He just doesn't want to go away from his pen into new territory. It just seems odd to me because he was doing so well for my girl last week. We've only been showing three years and he's been the easiest to break-in so far. He just quit all of a sudden and hasn't shown any interest in coming back. Thanks for the help.

Just my 2cents.... he isn't associating walking with pain is he? One of my calves fought walking and I realized the halter was closing down pretty hard on his face... once I really made an effort to loosen-up when he started walking (and keep it loose unless he acted stupid) I made much better progress. Now, just a little tug moves him forward to relieve the pressure. For what its worth...

francismilker":e1pjx3ql said:
My daughter's show calf has been leading well now for 60 days until last week when it got pneumonia. The vet gave it some meds and it appears to be getting better and it's breathing is back to normal. It just won't lead anymore. It's a very calm calf and doesn't show any signs of being a "nut case" it just locks up when you apply pressure forward. Anyone got any suggestions? I've only got about 4 weeks to get it back into the swing of thing before it goes on full feed for the rate of gain competition.
I don't want to be jacking with it and getting it upset to cause it to go off of feed. In the past, we've had them leading well and pretty much turned them loose at the feed trough for the duration of the feeding out process. It weighs 722 now and I don't want to be going through this leading problem at 1122!
Thanks.

There are quite a few ways to make a steer walk. My 1200 lbs steer wouldnt walk for nothing.
1. Dont do the whole tie up and make him thirsty, because he may very well pull you to the water trough, instead of you walking him. I would rather have a steer that doesnt walk, then one that pulls me around, because at Fairs and shows thats not good and the judge takes that into account.
2. Dont use food as lure, he will depend on that food and when you go to show him, he will not walk because there is no food in front of him. No food or treats!
3. Buy a piece of rope that will tie from one side of his halter, wrap it around him butt and have someone walk him and another pull on the rope and walk forward. (this method didnt work on my steer, may for yours though.)
4. Use a truck, ATV or tractor. Have someone driving and someone leading. A third person is optionally but i recommend it, just in case something goes wrong. Tie him to the bumper make sure he has 4ft of rope between him and the bumper ( or he'll play head butt the bumper the whole time) Start he car and go SLOW do not go fast. Start at a walking pace and stay there. (my dad went from slow o fast to slow my steer stepped over the rope, my dad sped up and my steer nearly fell down and crashed into our teuck. This method holds risks so be careful.) He will drag his feet and pull back wards let him. After he starts walking for 10 min take him off the truck and continue walking him. If he stops the minute you take him off, tie him back on the truck. (This worked with my steer, he walked for me beautifully afterwards.)
5. Oh and if he is a show steer start useing show stick on him now and dont wait a week before fair to do it.(if you already nows this then dont worry about number 5)
6. if none of the above work, but an all chain halter and walk him with that, that will definitely get him up and moving. Put it on and jerk the halter upward! not downward, upward gets their attention. On rope halters you jerk downward.
7. Keep me updated and see if any help you. Good Luck!!!!
These are suggestions, I think you wont need to use a ATV or a chain halter, try the rope method, it might work. If you wish to use these methods that is your choice. :cboy:

I got an all chain halter with a steel nose hoop yesterday called a "big jim's breaking halter" and tried to lead him with that with absolutely no success. This critter seems to have literally lost him brain. No amount of discomfort will make him budge an inch. I'm going to try the rope around the butt trick this evening to see if I have any luck. The "pulling with the ATV" doesn't work either. He just locks up all four like a pack mule and will skate down the driveway behing me. I'm not sure he'd move if I literally ground his hooves down to stubs behind the ATV or tractor. This is still all puzzling to me as he was leading like a dog two weeks ago. Whatever changed him happened as fast as an on\off switch. Keep the suggestions coming. I'll keep trying. Thanks.

francismilker":20ekd77g said:
I got an all chain halter with a steel nose hoop yesterday called a "big jim's breaking halter" and tried to lead him with that with absolutely no success. This critter seems to have literally lost him brain. No amount of discomfort will make him budge an inch. I'm going to try the rope around the butt trick this evening to see if I have any luck. The "pulling with the ATV" doesn't work either. He just locks up all four like a pack mule and will skate down the driveway behing me. I'm not sure he'd move if I literally ground his hooves down to stubs behind the ATV or tractor. This is still all puzzling to me as he was leading like a dog two weeks ago. Whatever changed him happened as fast as an on\off switch. Keep the suggestions coming. I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Does your steer kick? Have you tried to pushing his tail straight into hs butt called " pushing the button" or try pulling his tail to the sides. I'll ask around and see if anyone else knows any more techniques. Have you try pinching inside his nose where a bull ring normally goes, pinch it and have him walk forward, stop the pressure if he walks. I ll keep asking around, keep me updated.

Fifteen years of Show Cattle and never had a problem getting one to lead by CALM, SLOW, EASY, PATIENT movement combined with reward. Food and Water are the rewards they recognize first. Twenty-four hours off of water will not make them drag you to the water. These as reward will NOT cause them to balk at a show; unless possibly the calves were not walked on a regular basis.

If you have already tried force, your Steer is still experiencing the trauma of that event. It will take a lot longer for a calf to get over a bad experience than most people believe. Just take it slow and easy. Nothing works better than kindness. You will have to earn his trust.

francismilker":p6uyidit said:
sounds like hes not the only one :lol: just messin.

donkey??

Yesterday evening, after being tied for twenty four hours, I lead the calf to water. He easily went. After he drank, I tried to get him to lead out of his pen. He very hesitantly went a few steps at a time. I got him out of the pen, hooked him to the ATV and he willingly led for about one hundred yards. Just as I begin thinking to myself, "hey, he's coming around", he decided he'd gone too far and locked up.. Problem was, I was about 100 yards from the pen. I had to drag him back to the pen. It was really difficult and he got really stressed while doing this. I couldn't just let him go in the pasture with my other cows because my bull really takes offence to the show calf's existence. Again, it was just like an on\off switch. Once he locks up, he's done.

francismilker":2vizf797 said:
Yesterday evening, after being tied for twenty four hours, I lead the calf to water. He easily went. After he drank, I tried to get him to lead out of his pen. He very hesitantly went a few steps at a time. I got him out of the pen, hooked him to the ATV and he willingly led for about one hundred yards. Just as I begin thinking to myself, "hey, he's coming around", he decided he'd gone too far and locked up.. Problem was, I was about 100 yards from the pen. I had to drag him back to the pen. It was really difficult and he got really stressed while doing this. I couldn't just let him go in the pasture with my other cows because my bull really takes offence to the show calf's existence. Again, it was just like an on\off switch. Once he locks up, he's done.

Here's my thoughts on this. Hooking him to the ATV is doing you no good at all. He is probably now associating the walking with being drug. Go with AAOK's advice. Just take it a little at a time. He is still small so this habit can be broken. When he starts to balk, use short tugs, don't get ahead of him. It's hard at first. It's just going to be hard for you to get him to lead after he has been drug wit hthe atv.

Colorado2008":l4uv9wh1 said:
francismilker":l4uv9wh1 said:

Here's my thoughts on this. Hooking him to the ATV is doing you no good at all. He is probably now associating the walking with being drug. Go with AAOK's advice. Just take it a little at a time. He is still small so this habit can be broken. When he starts to balk, use short tugs, don't get ahead of him. It's hard at first. It's just going to be hard for you to get him to lead after he has been drug wit hthe atv.

AMEN!!
I would say you had it made until you hooked him to the ATV. Now you get to start all over again with a calf even more convinced that all you want to do is inflict pain.

AAOK":1a67umm0 said:
Colorado2008":1a67umm0 said:
francismilker":1a67umm0 said:

AMEN!!
I would say you had it made until you hooked him to the ATV. Now you get to start all over again with a calf even more convinced that all you want to do is inflict pain.

Take it easy with him. Are you nervous or scaried when you are around him? Mad? Steers pick up on your tension and anxity, stay calm and relaxed, just take it easy with him. Like you would go for a stroll in the park almost, keep calm and happy.

Would you suggest taking the rope halter off between lessons? Or leaving it on? I've been keeping him tied for the past few days and he's only eating or drinking when he leads to the trough. He's definetely glad to see me when I get there. Only problem is, when he gets the drink finished or he eats, he goes back into mule mode and quits me.

francismilker":3mm0qkll said:
Would you suggest taking the rope halter off between lessons? Or leaving it on? I've been keeping him tied for the past few days and he's only eating or drinking when he leads to the trough. He's definetely glad to see me when I get there. Only problem is, when he gets the drink finished or he eats, he goes back into mule mode and quits me.

Lets start back at square one.

Halter him and tie him up. Bring water about 10-20 feet away and walk him to it. Then, when you are watering him, have someone else put grain out where you tie him up at. Lead him back. Do this for a day or so and then take the water farther away. After a week or so of this, move the water outside the pen. Lead him to water, then back to grain.

You just have to be paitent. Don't give him the chance to stop. When he starts to slow down, use the tug method. When you pull on him, if its just one long hard pull, he will get used to the pressure and won't give in. So, if you use short hard tugs it will somewhat throw his equilibrium off and make him take a step forward.

Same as barn sour horse. It has everything it needs in the pen and does not want to leave. Feed somewhere else every time. Give it a reason to leave the pen. My wife has the same problem getting me up off the couch. :lol:
I would work that calf in a tight circle for 30 min. in the pen. After working it feed it outside the pen. Only feed after a training workout. I beleive you have actually trained it to stay in the pen with all the comforts of home. You gave it no reason to leave. The only time it leaves the pen it has to work. Now you have to retrain, give it a reason to leave.
Good luck

novatech":2y1xn18h said:
Same as barn sour horse. It has everything it needs in the pen and does not want to leave. Feed somewhere else every time. Give it a reason to leave the pen. My wife has the same problem getting me up off the couch. :lol:

are you suggesting your wife moves the TV every day, or just the remote?

KNERSIE":arp2qygd said:
novatech":arp2qygd said:

are you suggesting your wife moves the TV every day, or just the remote?
She puts food in the other room knowing full well I will eventually get up. But I wait for a comercial.

Latest posts