Should I expose my show calf to ringworm?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowlick88

Reaction score
I'm bringing my heifer to walk in a parade in a week, but about a month after that is my state show qualifier fair. Should I expose her to ringworm now before show season starts, wait a little while, or do all I can to prevent her from ever getting ringworm? (I also have Sullivan's FungALL ringworm paste if anyone has any info on that). Thanks for any input :)

No, if you do expose her to ring worm, you may not be able to get rid of it by show! :roll:

thanks :D do you have any suggestions for keeping her uninfected after being with cows that have had it and in a trailor that has been exposed?

Roan":390shz0v said:
No, if you do expose her to ring worm, you may not be able to get rid of it by show! :roll:
and it will establish itself in your ground and you will have it on your farm to spread to others.

Get a Billy goat with a beard, you will never have ring worm again. OK that is an old wives tail I heard but thought it was funny.
I would not expose the calf, if it is clean now do your best to keep it that way. I think most show calves get exposed to it from halters, it takes one then the halter is used on a different calf, and so on and so forth until every calf has it.

Trailer clean out: Clean trailer out then use a mixture of 10 parts water one part bleach in a Hudson type sprayer and soak it down
Wear stuff you do not mind ruining.

Latest posts