should i do more to fix

Help Support CattleToday:

onecowfarms

Reaction score
well just got these two the heifer is about a year old and could not walk real good foot swelled real bad after i got her home i found the problem she has hoof rot in 3 legs one real bad so i cleaned them up got as much infection out asi could given 2 rounds of pen g max and have put drawing salve and dr hayes hoof rot wash on 2 times a day and putting water infront of her and food she is looking a little better today she got up and walked slowly to some hay and tryed to put some weight on the real bad leg she looks very promising .

my sec is year old baldie and he has been severly mistreated i would say he should be around 8-900 # but he is 500 if lucky very baddly dehydrated has the head rear of year old bull but the mid section of a 4mo old calf has troble getting up he also has bad hoofrot on one hoof , i thuoght he was a steer at first till i seen him up closer but his scrotum id just sucked up from lack of water ,up untill today i did not think he was going to make it but he would not drink out of the water bucket so i kept pouring water down his nose so it would run into his mouth and tongue he would get some but not enough so i got a calf bottle and put molasses on the nipple and he took the water and as i was doing it today he walked away and went to the water bucket and sucked every drop sure made me fill good so i filled it up and left him alone and he went back and got some more i know i still need to watch him is ther any thing else i should be doing for them ? :???:

well i sqeezed the hoof area and got white puss out of the bottom of the hoof

What do you mean when you say you poured water down his nose? What are you feeding them? Careful with the bull calf especially if you are giving grain, start him off slow. Good job on the claf bottle idea. When it gets very hot here in the summer (anything over 95) we mix electrolytes in with the calf water (this for bottle babies but might help your bull calf), and make sure to keep it fresh. Sounds like you are doing what you can for the heifer.

not in his nose it is more like between his eyes and it drips down to his mouth he is not really a calf he is the same size as the bull that was here to breed the older cows this year lets just say if he was heatlhe i would not wanta mess with him he"s that big

When are you going to casterate? Is a good time now as he is not so fiesty ~ but you do not want to put added stress on him. Tough call. What were you thinking on?

Don't let up on that heifers foot. It could go backwards fast and hard if you quit too soon. Maybe keep that drain site open until its all done draining ~ get that funk out of there. Make sure she is on clean ground.

onecowfarms":1jav9lgt said:
well i sqeezed the hoof area and got white puss out of the bottom of the hoof

Foot rot typical infects the joints above the hoof, open sores like you are describing sound more like toe abcess.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /90519.htm

Have you entertained a trailer ride to the vet.

Also try the Merik Vet manuel material links.

i was not open after cleaning could feel the soft spots and when i sqeezed the upper joint that is when the pus came out on the bottom and after i put the drawing sav it statted coming out more and than i checked the leg she was using and it did the same thing like i said she has not cared for the best like the bull i thuoght about take her but do not what her in the trailer i will have the vet come out he is just up the road

Diagnosis:
It is frequently assumed that every cow with a swollen foot has footrot. However, many other conditions, such as infected sandcracks, white line disease, retroarticular abscesses, foreign bodies in the interdigital space, and infection of the distal interphalangeal joint can have a similar appearance if viewed from a distance. Despite the difficulties encountered in lifting a hindlimb, a detailed examination should be performed in every case. An incorrect diagnosis can have disastrous results.

What I have found to work well with hoof rot is to get the animal in the chute and secure the hoof and scrub it well with beta dyne to remove all signs of infection and dirt from the entire hoof. We put a antibiotic slave in the wound and bandage the hoof then wrap the whole thing with duct tape to form a water tight boot. We then give the single dose of Nuflor(64-70cc) and put the cow in a small pen with clean straw. The duct tape wears off the same time as the hoof heals.
This is what works for us but Nuflor is the best antibiotic for the bugs up here.
And thats just my two bits worth...asked for or not. Dmc

thanks susie that is pretty much what i have done and do thank everbody for there input

Latest posts