Should I Continue to Worry? Dehorning - Bleeder.

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
OK, I took 9 calves, various ages from 1 month to 6 months to the vet yesterday and had the complete works done on them. Castrate bulls, dehorn, 7 way, 4 way resp, deworm, ear tags, bangs on heifers 4 months old and older. Anyway, rough day for the calves. Woke up this morning and the oldest heifer had blood on both sides of her face. All the rest of them were not bleeding. Called the vet, bring her back and we'll pull the veins or cauterize with iron again (which is what they did yesterday). Spent 2 hours trying to get her loaded. (Whole nother story - I'll tell later - short of it, she's got a LOT of energy and she figured out the system yesterday). Smart calf.

Anyway, I finally gave up just short of having a stroke and right after going over the top of my horse's head - head first.

I don't think there is any chance of penning this girl anytime soon. I figure if she weakens from blood loss, she'll be able to load. Hate to be that way, but after this morning, I'm much less sympathetic to her.

Any ideas or should I quit worrying about her and let it seal off on it's own.

skyline":29pkjme3 said:
OK, I took 9 calves, various ages from 1 month to 6 months to the vet yesterday and had the complete works done on them. Castrate bulls, dehorn, 7 way, 4 way resp, deworm, ear tags, bangs on heifers 4 months old and older. Anyway, rough day for the calves. Woke up this morning and the oldest heifer had blood on both sides of her face. All the rest of them were not bleeding. Called the vet, bring her back and we'll pull the veins or cauterize with iron again (which is what they did yesterday). Spent 2 hours trying to get her loaded. (Whole nother story - I'll tell later - short of it, she's got a LOT of energy and she figured out the system yesterday). Smart calf.

Anyway, I finally gave up just short of having a stroke and right after going over the top of my horse's head - head first.

I don't think there is any chance of penning this girl anytime soon. I figure if she weakens from blood loss, she'll be able to load. Hate to be that way, but after this morning, I'm much less sympathetic to her.

Any ideas or should I quit worrying about her and let it seal off on it's own.

I would, but keep an eye on her...lots of flies around that could cause some problems. Might be able to pen her in a few days as well if necessary.

Thanks TB. I'm worried about flies/maggots and about blood loss. Hopefully, I can get her penned in a few days and look her over and make a decision about treatment, if necessary or not. No way in he11 that she is penning right now. But, I think my blood pressure is starting to come back down now... I've just got to turn the worry switch off. I swear I think I get anxiety attacks when I have one with a problem. :? I don't know what I'd do if I had hundreds of these things to worry about.

skyline":27oe76t9 said:
Thanks TB. I'm worried about flies/maggots and about blood loss. Hopefully, I can get her penned in a few days and look her over and make a decision about treatment, if necessary or not. No way in be nice that she is penning right now. But, I think my blood pressure is starting to come back down now... I've just got to turn the worry switch off. I swear I think I get anxiety attacks when I have one with a problem. :? I don't know what I'd do if I had hundreds of these things to worry about.

Well if you had hundreds of head you'd get exposed to a lot of stuff a whole lot faster. Laying around taking it easy the blood should begin to coagulate. Looks worse than it really is. Send you vet a bill for a 30 pack. :lol:

TexasBred":3byo3a5v said:
Well if you had hundreds of head you'd get exposed to a lot of stuff a whole lot faster. Laying around taking it easy the blood should begin to coagulate. Looks worse than it really is. Send you vet a bill for a 30 pack. :lol:

Hey, that 30 pack idea might solve my worry and anxiety issues! :D

The hotter the animal the more they will bleed (or worked up) When dehorning we mix up a cocktail of stockholm tar & black pepper, adding enough black pepper to make a thick paste. Smear that on the horns it won't completly stop the bleeding on some cattle but it does help & it does keep the flies away.

the vet shouldve pulled the bleeders when he dehorned her.an he sure shouldve packed her horn holes.an stitched them up to try to stop the bleeding.all you can do now is just watch her.youve done all you can for the time being.

I bet that she'll be fine. I've had them with blood congealed all down the side of their heads. I'm assuming your vet pulled the veins and cauterized it.. sometimes they still bleed. Actually you chasing her for two hours was worse than letting her rest. Getting her worked up will no doubt make it bleed worse.

As long as it's not shooting out like, I would just keep an eye on her. The flies are a concern, but if she's that hard to pen, I don't know that I would bother. Perhaps in a day or two if she's settled down, you could run all the heifers back in (she'll do better in a group) and fly spray them all.

Thanks all. The vet dehorned and then cauterized with a hot iron. 8 of the 9 did fine. This one not so much. We did fly spray at the vets office. I'll keep an eye on her and try to get some more fly spray on the rest of the herd in a day or so.

She seems to be doing fine. I've checked her the last few days. Bleeding stopped that day. She's acting normal and I haven't seen any flies on her.

Now if I can just work the soreness out of my neck, thumb, and knee from my unplanned dismount.... :oops: Advil is my good friend right now.

skyline":50nd50lb said:
She seems to be doing fine. I've checked her the last few days. Bleeding stopped that day. She's acting normal and I haven't seen any flies on her.

Now if I can just work the soreness out of my neck, thumb, and knee from my unplanned dismount.... :oops: Advil is my good friend right now.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not even gonna ask you what you said when this happened. :banana:

TexasBred":381fre1n said:
skyline":381fre1n said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Not even gonna ask you what you said when this happened. :banana:

I remember shouting something, but I'm not sure it's in the English language. Immediately after it happened I was too busy trying to figure out if anything was broken. I don't bounce as well as I once did. :oops:

Latest posts