Shorthorn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Yup, there is a reason why a solid red shorthorn line was created. But you are right, majority of shorthorns are club calf and majority of the club calves are carrier of genetic defects. That's why they are getting docked at the sale barn, no matter if its a calf or a cow.

Taurus":35yhvw9s said:
Yup, there is a reason why a solid red shorthorn line was created. But you are right, majority of shorthorns are club calf and majority of the club calves are carrier of genetic defects. That's why they are getting docked at the sale barn, no matter if its a calf or a cow.

It's not the defects that gets them docked. Its the fact they are miserable commercial cattle. You have to tie a feed bucket to their head and trim their toenails and everything else to keep them sound.

I was told by someone at the sale barn that they docked the shorthorns and club calf heifers/cows because they don't making a good commercial cow for many reasons, included genetic defects. I've seen few black club calf steers got sold at longhorn prices at the sale barn.

Jake":3liol2tf said:
3waycross":3liol2tf said:
houstoncutter":3liol2tf said:
Shorthorns will never be a player until they do something about the spots and roan colors. Doesn't mean their not good cattle, just means commercial cattlemen are not going to take the severe discounts because of color.

Well maybe they could cross in some of those little black cows from Scotland. I have heard that they fix everything!

HC is right. Especially as long as the shorthorn breed is associated with club cattle they don't have a chance. There are some really good ones out there but there are a whole lot more crippled up clubbies.

I could be wrong but i cannot see where he mentioned the word club at all. It's the chrome and let me tell you it's a bytch to breed it out of them.

Jake":1lfwldho said:
Taurus":1lfwldho said:

It's not the defects that gets them docked. Its the fact they are miserable commercial cattle. You have to tie a feed bucket to their head and trim their toenails and everything else to keep them sound.
Jake most times the foot problems are caused by the feed bucket. Not a hereditary problem. Most folks around here wouldn't know a solid red shorthorn from a red angus.

Saskvalley Bonanza, right, coyote?

I'd use him in a minute here, if not for the roan deal - the buyers would steal 'em here. I can get by OK with reds and smokeys, but roans/spots/finched calves get docked - even if the genetics behind 'em are virtually the same as the blacks...

TexasBred":3uyfumu0 said:
Jake":3uyfumu0 said:
Taurus":3uyfumu0 said:

Jake most times the foot problems are caused by the feed bucket. Not a hereditary problem. Most folks around here wouldn't know a solid red shorthorn from a red angus.

I understand that. The majority if shorties in the country now are clubby bred. So people automatically assume they are when they see them. It is almost impossible to breed all of the chrome out of them. We have a couple roams that are less than 1/16 shortie and they still put a little roam on the calves yet. Just can't get rid of it.

TexasBred":j4344amj said:
I have one good red SH. Very good temperament, very good doer, good milker, average udder. She throws solid calves if bred to a solid bull. I always save her heifers.

Stocker Steve":33jnxzlr said:
TexasBred":33jnxzlr said:
I have one good red SH. Very good temperament, very good doer, good milker, average udder. She throws solid calves if bred to a solid bull. I always save her heifers.
same here I kept one solid shorthorn cow, I just wished 8 other shorthorn cows were more like her before I send them to the sale barn. Like Jake said, they are really miserable commercial cows.

Taurus":2pgyooih said:
I was told by someone at the sale barn that they docked the shorthorns and club calf heifers/cows because they don't making a good commercial cow for many reasons, included genetic defects. I've seen few black club calf steers got sold at longhorn prices at the sale barn.
Taurus, I see the opposite at our couple local sale barns. The guys that run clubby cows will outsell some angus calves alot of days. They have butts, big tops and are long enough to make some meat instead of just being a calf. We have a cattle buyer for local kill plant that loves buying them clubby calves. I'm not saying everyone should do the clubby thing but with everything there is always another point of view.

On the Shorthorn deal I really hate them but now after getting married I "got into" a few. One PB cow, and a clubby sired x-bred. Have retained every heifer both of them have produced. Clubby cow is roughest looking girl all year but is the top 3 every year WW wise. The PB is I'd hate to say best cow I own when mated to produce a x-bred calf. She is more r&w than roan but will throw just a hint of blue roan with angus. There are alot more good shorthorns out there than some people will let on. I'd fill a pasture with them but run an angus or Simmy bull on em! They are easy to work with and I think as a breed have a better udder on them than alot of others along with their mothering and carcass ability is why I will use more shorty bulls and cows in the future.

Till-Hill":3lg7r9bh said:
Taurus":3lg7r9bh said:
Taurus, I see the opposite at our couple local sale barns. The guys that run clubby cows will outsell some angus calves alot of days. They have butts, big tops and are long enough to make some meat instead of just being a calf. We have a cattle buyer for local kill plant that loves buying them clubby calves. I'm not saying everyone should do the clubby thing but with everything there is always another point of view.

On the Shorthorn deal I really hate them but now after getting married I "got into" a few. One PB cow, and a clubby sired x-bred. Have retained every heifer both of them have produced. Clubby cow is roughest looking girl all year but is the top 3 every year WW wise. The PB is I'd hate to say best cow I own when mated to produce a x-bred calf. She is more r&w than roan but will throw just a hint of blue roan with angus. There are alot more good shorthorns out there than some people will let on. I'd fill a pasture with them but run an angus or Simmy bull on em! They are easy to work with and I think as a breed have a better udder on them than alot of others along with their mothering and carcass ability is why I will use more shorty bulls and cows in the future.
Good for you but if you were selling any club calves or roan/spotted shorthorn crosses here, you will get docked severely!

Where are you selling at Taurus? Central MN they shouldn't be taking a hit. You got all kinds of Shorty/Clubby breeders up there.

Till-Hill":2f2i27m5 said:
Where are you selling at Taurus? Central MN they shouldn't be taking a hit. You got all kinds of Shorty/Clubby breeders up there.
Till-Hill, there is a reason why the shorthorns and the club calves got sold at longhorn prices. Many of them doesnt make a very good commercial cow as I learned out with my shorthorns in hard way.

What would you say the % more clubby calves that fit your reasons than a normal commercial herd? In the herds I have been around I would say the clubby calves have less just for the simple fact of management. Most clubby calves are AI sired so born early, cut/preconditioned early, started on feed and weaned.

This is just what I see and wondering why it's so different not so far away from me?

TexasBred":33f9nveo said:
Taurus":33f9nveo said:
Got fat too easily, poor-doers, hoof problems and dink calves.
That's all management.
You meant babysitting them and I really doubt it that it was all management that caused these problems. I don't see any problems with the Angus cows in same management.

Latest posts