SHORTHORN BULL thumbs up or thumbs down

Help Support CattleToday:

Outstanding!

He meets both my initial glance criteria (long, deep, big butt) as well as individual critiques of his phenotype.

The added feature is he is in perfect "show" clothes and hasn't been emasculated with a hair dryer.

Long live real cattlemen!

Mr. Greenjeans

Coyote":39993s4k said:
randiliana did you get some rain? This Sunday morning we have an inch, hope you get some. I heard at Hazenmore the water was running down the ditches.

He is a Shorthorn bull that we bought .
His name is Alta Cedar Ultimate 130K.

This is a daughter that we are flushing this spring.
61p_1_.jpg

We did finally get some rain. Got a little over an inch last night. I've heard the same thing, Hubby was tub-grinding just south of Kincaid and watched that rain go through just north of him on Friday.

That is a good looking cow, too. She'd fit right in here. We may just have to slip up to your place next spring, if we are in the market for a bull.

Keeping a bull around for 8 years tells the story, not only does he do good on grass but he must throw dandy calves. Thumbs up!

great looking bull :clap: amazing condition for an 8 yr. old. excellent muscle, length and topline. although i'm not one to critique a bull - i am suprised no one has mentioned him being straight shouldered. although pictures can be decieving - he looks to me to be about a 5.8 to 6 frame bull - anywhere close?

ROB

ROB":1sg6ynzi said:
great looking bull :clap: amazing condition for an 8 yr. old. excellent muscle, length and topline. although i'm not one to critique a bull - i am suprised no one has mentioned him being straight shouldered. although pictures can be decieving - he looks to me to be about a 5.8 to 6 frame bull - anywhere close?

ROB

Rob, I think if the bull was indeed straightshouldered to the point where it can count against him, it would have shown in his topline by now.

It takes a very sound animal to carry that amount of weight till he is 8 years old and still look this good.

Two thumbs up. Its hard to criticize an old guy thats been in business for 8 years at the same location. Ok I'll say somebody needs to chase him down and clean the poop off his butt.

Avalon":yvq5xzdc said:
Two thumbs up. Its hard to criticize an old guy thats been in business for 8 years at the same location. Ok I'll say somebody needs to chase him down and clean the poop off his butt.
thats the thing about good animals like him,. able to shine through the mud and crap of a blue collar life and still stand tall. unlike a muddy dink that look's,well like a muddy dink
:D

KNERSIE":1sbpu956 said:
ROB":1sbpu956 said:

ROB

Rob, I think if the bull was indeed straightshouldered to the point where it can count against him, it would have shown in his topline by now.

It takes a very sound animal to carry that amount of weight till he is 8 years old and still look this good.

knersie- i would definately agree with you. i personally don't think he is for the reason you mentioned. but typically when we look at one picture of a bull - it becomes very easy to 'reach for straws' so to speak in critiquing. in this picture the bulls head is carried low which is a trait of a straight shouldered bull. but given the age and apparent condition of the bull i really don't think he could be considered straight shouldered looking at his topline. i was just looking to see if anyone would bite. :) coyote- as i said before "great looking bull :clap: amazing condition for an 8 yr. old. excellent muscle, length and topline."

ROB

Santas and Duhram Reds":29ljs298 said:
It doesn't bother me at all but I am suprised no one has made a cheap shot and criticized him for his underline. I have seen a lot of bulls on here criticized for such.
Underlines are seldom legitimately criticized - unless there is an obvious 'cut-up flank' which exaggerates the appearance of an uneven underline. The seeming 'un-even' underline that this bull displays is, In My Opinion, NOT an UNacceptable underline. :shock: It is created by the forage (grass) that the bull is being fed. The rumen 'bulges' and gives the "appearance" of an uneven underline. When I am observing the phenotype of an animal, (bull), I mentally draw an imaginary straight line from the bottom of the rib cage just behind the front leg to the rear flank of the animal. The bulge of the stomach (rumen) will extend below that imaginary line, which is a normal physical manifestation - however - if the angle of the imaginary line is too acute, that is - diverging excessively or inordinately from being parallel to the top line, this indicates to me as a judge that the underline is, to a certain degree, unacceptable in a breeding herd sire or a brood cow. The DEGREE or EXCESSIVENESS of the acute angle almost always manifests itself in the eye of the beholder. Naturally, the sheath of a bull also encroaches on that imaginary straight line. The "differences of opinion" of different judges is what makes cattle shows interesting! :clap: :cry2: :devil2: :???: :?

In My Analytical Opinion, this bull is a magnificant example of a BEEF bull! You beginners on the Forum might make a print of this bull, and stick it on your refrigerator, and imprint that image in your mind, using it as a template to compare what a REAL beef bull "LOOKS LIKE" (Phenotype). :clap: :tiphat:

DOC HARRIS

If the shoulders are upright, what effect does this have on the topline? Also what does body length do to the topline? Could a weak back come from both ends?

Thanks

Latest posts