short needles or subq

Help Support CattleToday:

hillside

Reaction score
just wondering. when we vacinate bucket calves. do we have to inject under the skin or can we get by with 1/2 inch needles . have been toldthat we can do this because vacine isn't going deep enough in musle.Using the half inch needle makes for a faster jobbut is it to hard on calf. Hillside :?:

Always follow the directions on the box. Most vacines need to go sub Q. The four way I use is directed to go IM. I use 16 guage 1.5 for sub Q and 18 guage 1" for IM.

Scotty

Just remember, the smaller the number gauge number the larger the diameter (size) of the needle.

Needle length - 3/4" for SubQ, 1.5" for IM

In either case, stick needle in, pull plunger back some. If syringe fills up with blood you have hit an artery or vein. You don't want to inject directly in an artery or vein since you can put a cow down fast.

As said before, always give shots in neck to keep from messing up the good cuts of meat on the rearend.

Thanks for feed back. We do always give shots in neck. we use 18 gauge 1 inch for subq and im. Are currently using 16g 1/2" for vacines. I Work off farm but we also raise 140 bucket calves at a time. We give 7 different vaccines over a period of time. By the time we feed twice a day ,bed ,etc. pluse we make 75 acres of hay then make straw it doesn't make for alot of left over time. My ? is has any one given subQ vaccines using1/2 "needles IM or is this to hard on cattle. I have been told you can do this. thankes hillside

Latest posts