Shopping Heifers for "Longevity"

Help Support CattleToday:

expensive hobby":1eylil6g said:
Kathie, can't wait to see your pics. Would like to see some of your whites also. They are a great breed just not very popular around here.

And not many of them here -- couple hundred miles away to find them, and then, most come from just a couple of bloodlines. Did AI, last year, which turned out to be a hit-or-miss thing. Need to learn more about that. There are a few nice cows, and a decent bull for sale in OR, right now, but we aren't really set up to house a bull fulltime. But, I like these BW cattle! We'll butcher some for the first time this year; am anxious to see how they compare to the BA steers we sold to friends/fam on the rail in the past.

The twins are home -- not out of the trailer yet. They're pretty nervous/scared, so we've put feed and water in there for them, they can stay in there cozy together tonight, and we'll offload into the next strange environment in the morning. They are min. 3/4 Angus; one is red (not Herf. red -- more like Gelbv. red); the other is a dark blonde (as is their mama).

And we got another heifer, too -- BA -- but that is another story and I'll tell it later . . . .

No one has mentioned teeth. Lots of folks throw cubes out on the ground. Not good on sandy soil year after year.

Peanut hay used to be a tooth grinding mechanism.

Good cows with good bloodlines can wear their teeth out faster in given scenarios.

When I put out cubes on the ground, I always find the most dense patch of bermuda grass. Some folks do it on the road.

backhoeboogie":alqujcaf said:
No one has mentioned teeth. Lots of folks throw cubes out on the ground. Not good on sandy soil year after year.

Peanut hay used to be a tooth grinding mechanism.

Good cows with good bloodlines can wear their teeth out faster in given scenarios.

When I put out cubes on the ground, I always find the most dense patch of bermuda grass. Some folks do it on the road.

Good grass = good teeth= longevity. During the drought I hauled some girls in they late teens early twenties that still had good teeth and produced and raised a good calf every twelve months.

Kathie in Thorp":xta4g3un said:
We don't do cubes here -- local baled hay and pasture. Wish you guys didn't have to do it otherwise!!

I just use them to bait the cows in. Usually to work them. If they got cubes on a regular basis I would go broke. A whole bunch will follow me down the alley thinking they will change pastures but hold up when they see the closed ends and side gates. Those trailing will not go in the alley then. Throw out some cubes and they all come in. Pull through to go to another pasture and they all go through without cubes.

My point was strickly about teeth. Teeth have more to do with cattle life span than anything else, in my opinion.

Another reason I like hay cradles and don't feed hay on the ground all winter.

Latest posts