Shopping Heifers for "Longevity"

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Am thinking about purchasing a couple of this year's heifers (twins) from a co-worker. They are commercial type, BA-sired, out of a first-time calver that is Heinz 57 on her dam's side, and BA sired. That cow's mother calved this year at age either 22 or 23, and they've bred her back! They're sure on her age, because their 30-year daughter bottle-raised her at age 7 or 8. That old grandma cow still looks pretty darn good! And her daughter, mother of the twins, is a good looking girl and was able to feed both with no problem. Twins are right up there in size where they ought to be. None of the bunch are black.

Just for CYA purposes, I'd like to have a couple commercial cattle to run with my British Whites. I know I'll be feeding them for awhile before they are producers, but I really like that longevity factor in the genetics.

Am interested in your :2cents:

Since I have a soft spot for Granny cows and their offpsring, I would keep them.

Dun - The owners of Granny and her daughter are selling the baby heifers -- they have limited pasture, and figure they have plenty of time to make replacement heifers with the daughter. And Granny ain't leaving their place!

Kathie in Thorp":1xdg31br said:
Dun - The owners of Granny and her daughter are selling the baby heifers -- they have limited pasture, and figure they have plenty of time to make replacement heifers with the daughter. And Granny ain't leaving their place!
Same with our Granny, she just waited till the past couple of years to start having heifers. She had one heifer 15 years ago and now the last 3 have been heifres agin.

Sounds like a great idea ! But some times twins are "one or both " sterile . Not sure how to find out early on . I'm sure someone on here can chime in. Good luck in the outcome :nod:

rjbovine -- My understanding is that twin heifers are fine; twin bull calves are fine. Twins with one of each: the heifer will likely be sterile. Someone tell me if I don't have that right, please.

Kathie in Thorp":3cr4eehv said:
rjbovine -- My understanding is that twin heifers are fine; twin bull calves are fine. Twins with one of each: the heifer will likely be sterile. Someone tell me if I don't have that right, please.

i'm under the same impression as you; my neighbor's red angus cow had triplets three years ago, they turned out to be small cows but all are good mothers!

ALACOWMAN":1x44s7ri said:
crossbreds tend to live and produce many years, thats their forte ,,, dont mean their off springs will

Yes.

You've got a probability thing going on here. Just because my grandpa lived to be 98 does not mean I will. Because I've got other ancestors from which I could have gotten my genetics.

These twins are granddaughters of the long-lived cow. Which means they have a one in four chance of getting each of her genes. And I'm not sure the heritability of longevity - would probably be several factors involved.

So you aren't necessarily going to get longevity in these twins.

I will say, however, that they have a greater chance for longevity than one whose granddam didn't last long (unless lightning strike or something, though that may indicate dumber cows which is genetic......).

rjbovine":2zp1d5ok said:
Sounds like a great idea ! But some times twins are "one or both " sterile . Not sure how to find out early on . I'm sure someone on here can chime in. Good luck in the outcome :nod:
Mixed sex twins, not same sex twins....FYI

Kathie- I'm kind of with DJ on this one. The probability of the twins being longer lived is probably there but so many factors come in to play with this idea. Anything can happen to one of these heifers. Years down the road, a pathology may set in throwing this theory right out the window. Just my 2 cents. But the fact that you can get 2 heifers for a fair deal is reason enough to buy them. Obviously you plan on holding on to them for many years. If they provide you with 20+ years of baby making then you achieved your goal. On the other hand......if you are not happy with the quality of the calves they throw, then you will probably send them down the road. I have purchased some cows that should have been great baby makers simply to find out that they were not worth a squat. I culled them and marked it down as a learning experience. I think that you should buy them if you are comfortable with the price and find out if your theory holds any merit. Good luck with them.

EH -- I'm inclined to just take the plunge and see what happens, having been able to personally see a couple generations behind those calves. They come from a small, meticulous-as-they-are-cared-for outfit, and I don't really see a downside, except for the time factor in getting them to production. Thx for your input! And everyone else's. K

The first step for longevity is to not be culled the first couple years. I have not had cows real long - - but there are some families where all the heifers seem to make it as breeding stock. Finding these would improve your odds.

vclavin":8bv5xvyu said:
Kathie.. I'd buy them too.. you never know. I bought a heifer born from a 19 year old cow... beautiful heifer. She never bred and was butchered unfortunately.
Valerie

Hope that isn't the case w/ these girls, Valerie . . . . . but you never know. It's all a crapp shoot!

Kathie in Thorp":zxt1pfsg said:
vclavin":zxt1pfsg said:
Kathie.. I'd buy them too.. you never know. I bought a heifer born from a 19 year old cow... beautiful heifer. She never bred and was butchered unfortunately.
Valerie

Hope that isn't the case w/ these girls, Valerie . . . . . but you never know. It's all a crapp shoot!

I hope your new girls are fertile as all get out!!! A prayer might not hurt either LOL
Valerie

Latest posts