Shooting cows with birdshot

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bible says a righteous man takes care of his animal. God gave us animals to use not to abuse. I can not in good conscience respect how everyone treats their animals because there is abuse out there.Would you walk by a guy skinning his cow alive and keep walking telling yourself that it is his cow and you respect the way he treats it? I'm sure you wouldn't so would that put you as one of the "ME" people?
PS- Glad you don't think of me as the enemy. ;-)[/quote]

Just for the heck of it. Every watched some of those folks over in Africa stick an arrow in the jugular of a cow and drain a huge amount of her blood to drink or mix with their food or the beer they're making? Heck National Geographic calls it "tradition" or "survival". Now I know they are ot policed but it's still a man and a cow.

Victoria":2y1vwvhc said:
Brute 23":2y1vwvhc said:
They are building that wall on the wrong side of the US... :lol: Just messing with you Victoria, that is very interesting. ;-)

Hey, at least in Canada we can still slaughter horses. :p

Do horses have "Ribeyes"?? yuk......

I can not believe that you Canadians breed you cows on purpose to have their calves in the middle of the freezing winter, that is the cruelest thing I have heard on this thread. My calves hit the ground as the grass is greening like mother nature intended. Wy would you make them calve when its 20 below, how about that picture of a new born calf frozen to death in the snow.....That type of "management" is cruel and in humane.

As I have shown above it is real easy to throw insults around when you do not have any ideas to share or to change the topic to fit your agenda. But I still want an answer from those up north who have shown that they are their cows best friend.

Imagine that there is a videocam on you. That video will be on UTube tonite. Can you explain what you were doing to the 20 yr old girl at UCLA? Will she buy your explanation? Or will she go vegan? A customer lost forever. And her children, likely lost forever. And most important, she will support politicians who vote to end cruelty. Even when the legislation is absurd.
I don't see it as cruelty, I know how cows can be. I favor the guy with the broken arm. But this is not a reasonable situation. Cattlemen (and women) are currently pictured as beasts, little better than the animals we tend.
We can boast among our buddies about the horses we rode and the cattle we throwed. The consumer is not buying that BS.
I am not bending over for peta or hsus or anyone. But I have a customer, and yes, I am bending over for the customer (figuratively, you see). If the customer chooses Tofurkey for Thanksgiving then I am worse off.
The macho stuff just gets us cattle folk deeper into the tank. Boys, damp down the hormones. I'll fight PETA any time, any place. But don't put bullets in their guns. That just kills me, and you. Choose your fights. You will not win this one.

TexasBred":3dac36i7 said:
The Bible says a righteous man takes care of his animal. God gave us animals to use not to abuse. I can not in good conscience respect how everyone treats their animals because there is abuse out there.Would you walk by a guy skinning his cow alive and keep walking telling yourself that it is his cow and you respect the way he treats it? I'm sure you wouldn't so would that put you as one of the "ME" people?
PS- Glad you don't think of me as the enemy. ;-)

Just for the heck of it. Every watched some of those folks over in Africa stick an arrow in the jugular of a cow and drain a huge amount of her blood to drink or mix with their food or the beer they're making? Heck National Geographic calls it "tradition" or "survival". Now I know they are ot policed but it's still a man and a cow.[/quote]

They also have a huge epidemic called aids, because rape runs rampant. 90 % of the women are raped before they are 16.

This is a backward 3rd world place, and are you trying to compare it to North America. Get a life .

Reading through all of this has been entertaining. Yes, I have shot a bull with birdshot something like 20 years ago. If I needed to do it again? Yes, if the condition called for it. Birdshot at a distance ain't gonna break the hide of a cow. While in sitting in the confession booth, yes, I have also kicked a dog, chances are I will probally do it again. I have also shot a dog with intentions to kill, you got it I will probally do that again as well.

Bottom line is each one of us have differant cattle and situtations and circumstances. What gives me the right to tell someone else that I have never met before that he or she is wrong. I ain't walking in his shoes, what gives me the right to judge him. If you want to pet your cattle fine, just don't think you can pet everbodys cattle. Some of em will be blowing snot in your back pocket.

john250":360gck4w said:
Imagine that there is a videocam on you. That video will be on UTube tonite. Can you explain what you were doing to the 20 yr old girl at UCLA? Will she buy your explanation? Or will she go vegan? A customer lost forever. And her children, likely lost forever. And most important, she will support politicians who vote to end cruelty. Even when the legislation is absurd.
I don't see it as cruelty, I know how cows can be. I favor the guy with the broken arm. But this is not a reasonable situation. Cattlemen (and women) are currently pictured as beasts, little better than the animals we tend.
We can boast among our buddies about the horses we rode and the cattle we throwed. The consumer is not buying that BS.
I am not bending over for peta or hsus or anyone. But I have a customer, and yes, I am bending over for the customer (figuratively, you see). If the customer chooses Tofurkey for Thanksgiving then I am worse off.
The macho stuff just gets us cattle folk deeper into the tank. Boys, damp down the hormones. I'll fight PETA any time, any place. But don't put bullets in their guns. That just kills me, and you. Choose your fights. You will not win this one.

One of my sons went through that vegan crap in college. He is now in Calgary, one year left on PHD in Envioronment. Anyhow his whole thing is how to utilize fire to burn forests off. Temps, wind, all kinds of stuff. For Management of the Boreal Forests. His Thesis was a huge book that I could only read a little of. Most of it is Mathmatical equations.

He eats the hell out of meat now. Most of the time vegan in young people is an idealist thing . And it passes. Main thing is if it's your own kids, it will pass. They are just trying to express thier freedom. Then they get wiser, and wiser. And when the funds from Daddy quit they get wise real quick. And become tolerable to vacation with.

I've read through all of these posts and all I gotta say is this. In this part of Texas we follow the SSS rule. God forbid some do-gooding, leftist, tree hugging, animal butt kissing freak do a google search on some pet peeve and pull up this thread. If you want to throw arrows at this post, fine, have at it. But some things you only talk about at the local watering hole, eye to eye.

I live in time with horse hoof falling
I listened well and heard the calling
The Earth, my mother called to me
That we should live wild and free

Freedom is a precious thing, and we are free in this country. Free to eat what we want and free to manage our cattle the way we want.

I have seen cattle gathered with cake and 4-wheelers, the running the chasing. I have seen cattle penned and and prodded and calves worked in the cradle. They call it the best way, the easy way, better management. It is the way that people handle cattle who have no skill with a herd, no art in their work with cattle. Can't pick a bull with out the numbers. Cattle that live like house pets.

There has been much bashing and down talking about how some of us choose to raise cattle, a natural way, a way that follows the natural rhythm of nature. Spring calving, with the grass. Fall shipping with the frost. Cows that live on grass and water, have there calves in a place they choose and raise them. Gathered by men on horse back and worked the old way, flesh on flesh with speed and respect. Cattle handeled with skill and understanding of their ways. Horses, cattle, dogs and men... grass and rain...and rope. We produce beef in a way that fits our country, we handle our cattle in a way that fits our country, we live free in a way that fits our country.

There are some people in this world that don't have much in their lives, they don't live life they just exist, never happy with who they are or who they will be or what they have done. The only way they have to feel good about themselves is to push someone else down and tell them they are stupid or wrong or backwards. They take on causes that help animals or children or the planet, things that will not or can not judge them. These people use a cause that has become a religion to them to force other people to submit to their way of thinking. What kind of life must that be...empty...with no joy in ones own accomplishments. I will not live my life in fear of these people, but I will live my life, and raise my cattle in a way that works for me and them.

My family has been raising and breeding cattle for 204 years, started in 1804. I am not easly swayed or bullied by what others, new to the business, say on an message board. I was trying to share some experiences from a part of the country ya'll might not know much about.....I think I may go back to lurking and lets the pro's handle the questions.

Wild Cattle":2ggkvop3 said:
I live in time with horse hoof falling
I listened well and heard the calling
The Earth, my mother called to me
That we should live wild and free

Freedom is a precious thing, and we are free in this country. Free to eat what we want and free to manage our cattle the way we want.

I have seen cattle gathered with cake and 4-wheelers, the running the chasing. I have seen cattle penned and and prodded and calves worked in the cradle. They call it the best way, the easy way, better management. It is the way that people handle cattle who have no skill with a herd, no art in their work with cattle. Can't pick a bull with out the numbers. Cattle that live like house pets.

There has been much bashing and down talking about how some of us choose to raise cattle, a natural way, a way that follows the natural rhythm of nature. Spring calving, with the grass. Fall shipping with the frost. Cows that live on grass and water, have there calves in a place they choose and raise them. Gathered by men on horse back and worked the old way, flesh on flesh with speed and respect. Cattle handeled with skill and understanding of their ways. Horses, cattle, dogs and men... grass and rain...and rope. We produce beef in a way that fits our country, we handle our cattle in a way that fits our country, we live free in a way that fits our country.

There are some people in this world that don't have much in their lives, they don't live life they just exist, never happy with who they are or who they will be or what they have done. The only way they have to feel good about themselves is to push someone else down and tell them they are stupid or wrong or backwards. They take on causes that help animals or children or the planet, things that will not or can not judge them. These people use a cause that has become a religion to them to force other people to submit to their way of thinking. What kind of life must that be...empty...with no joy in ones own accomplishments. I will not live my life in fear of these people, but I will live my life, and raise my cattle in a way that works for me and them.

My family has been raising and breeding cattle for 204 years, started in 1804. I am not easly swayed or bullied by what others, new to the business, say on an message board. I was trying to share some experiences from a part of the country ya'll might not know much about.....I think I may go back to lurking and lets the pro's handle the questions.

I respect your views and what you say, and for me, hope you don't lurk but continue to add to the discussion. On both sides, my ancestors landed in this country in 1624 and 1626 respectively, and most have been in some form of farming-ranching ever since. At 60 years old I know a few things. When it comes to how things got done, by and large growing up we were urged to listen and learn. But we were also taught to keep much close to the vest, cause there is always someone out there ready and willing to poke a hole in you. I have many friends up in the Panhandle, and what takes place up there isn't a whole lot diferent than here. We just don't talk about it.

And afore someone asks what SSS is, it means shoot-shovel-shutup. And hereabouts it is the best policy.

You seem like the type of cattleman I like meeting now and then to share stories with over a beer. :hat:

Wild Cattle":d5ec605k said:

Who gives a wild fiddlers phart where you come from or who you are - do not mistreat cattle and do not put lead pellets in food animals? Write a freakin poem about that!

By the way - it's 2008

TexasBred":kdr7375m said:
PS- Glad you don't think of me as the enemy. ;-)

Just for the heck of it. Every watched some of those folks over in Africa stick an arrow in the jugular of a cow and drain a huge amount of her blood to drink or mix with their food or the beer they're making? Heck National Geographic calls it "tradition" or "survival". Now I know they are ot policed but it's still a man and a cow.[/quote]

Anyone who is drinking the blood of animal probably isn't listening to the Bible anyway. ;-)

TexasBred":27jmihwq said:
Victoria":27jmihwq said:
Brute 23":27jmihwq said:
They are building that wall on the wrong side of the US... :lol: Just messing with you Victoria, that is very interesting. ;-)

Hey, at least in Canada we can still slaughter horses. :p

Do horses have "Ribeyes"?? yuk......

I don't know, I've never eaten horse. It's more of a Quebec thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts