Shipping to the feedlot

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
FIL has a nice bunch of yearlings, his health has made a turn for the worse in rhe last 6months and got a ride to the hospital yesterday. I'm taking a field rep out there this morning after talking to him last night, and he says if they are the right kind, no ear, sheath, we can ship them straight to nebraska. I have no monetary interest in this, just trying to get the old guy a premium. How does this normally work? I mean, I get a reduced commission and of course he'll factor in transportation cost when he makes his offer. Not interested in retaining ownership at the lot or anything, but will they weigh them here ,there, or in between? I realize there has to be a certain amount of trust, and I do trust this guy, known him for years, just trying to protect the old man.

They usually weigh them at the closest available certified scale. Weigh the truck on the way to the farm and again when leaving loaded. They will also want to add a shrink factor of 2% or so but its all negotiable.

Ok, here's the update, since they are mixed, heifers and steers, we won't get to ship them straight without gauranteeing the heifers open. He made a very good offer on them , and hopefully we can get something done in the next week. Estimated weight 1000-1200 and a price of 1.40 across the board, and they'll haulem, 2.5 % commission. If they were mine I'd be gathering them right now in the dark.

kenny thomas":a33cnszy said:
Good price I think
Me too kenny, of course there was a range, .40 to.45 on the steers and.33 to.38 on the heifers, but he was pretty confident about the upper range. Going to bring the old guy home monday , so that's the good thing.

ClinchValley":14uqyfr1 said:
Sounds like you are a good one, Snoop. The world needs more good and honest people.

Glad your FIL gets to come home too.
Thanks, I certainly aint a preacher, but I just have a lot of respect for my FIL, 87 and was baling hay and buying cattle until june when he got sick. I got a little chuckle when the rep asked me "who buys his cattle for him". He has a good load of 7 wgts also, I'm going to try and get them in an upcoming prevac sale in nov for him.

ddd75":25zee152 said:
how did you find this buyer
He isn't the buyer, just one of the field reps from one of the local barns who has done a very good job for me in the past promoting MY cattle. There is no gauranteed price, if the market tanks tomorrow we're in the same boat as everyone else, but he will prop good cattle up and is straight as an arrow. Talked to the FIL today, and he said sell them all, even the smaller ones. So, me and my BIL have them caught on a 20 acre field, and my guy is gonna send a groundload and 2 32 footers to start, but I'm pretty sure someones gonna make 2 trips tuesday. I worked with him years ago and he loves this business, the cattle, the places, the people, you just don't find em like him too often. He knows his stuff and the buyers know he knows.

Update, they weren't as heavy as we guessed, 40 of the steers avg 816 at 54.5, the lighter ones622 at.50. We had 18 bred heifers, decided to preg them all and gaurantee the rest, the bred ones avg 1000 a head and 20 of the opens avg725 at 41.25, some other misc, but they all done good, pretty happy for the ole boy. 109 head and overall avg was over a thousand each. Come to find out one of the bulls had slipped a band for who knows how long before he got cut. These were grass cattle, no feed and I learned a little something about the weight difference vs size. I really wish we would have waited for the prevac sale for the lighter steers, but it is what it is.

Sorry to hear about your FIL's health but kudos to you for stepping up and helping him get things happening.

I often wonder if my husbands health took a turn for the worse, or... if something tragic happened, how I'd handle everything. I'd like to think his family would do for me, what you've done for yours.

We just received 200 head last week from southeast Oklahoma. Seems a lot of cattle moving out of Oklahoma lately. We were pressed to take more but we're stuffed and we certainly aren't getting anything out to stalks with all this rain we've had. First day we've been able to harvest in nearly 2 weeks.

Latest posts