Gathered to go to the sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I helped, well sort of helped. B and company gathered about 350-400 out of a field and took them down the road a half mile to the corral. There is calves bound for the sale, registered calves which will get sorted off, and some cows that just got stuck into that field when they came out of the hills. Finally got them all on the road and headed in the right direction. Second picture we are almost there. The corral is off to the right about where that semi is parked. They are in the corral now and getting sorted. Three semi loads and an assortment of goose neck trailers loads.

PC123068.JPGPC123069.JPG

And today turned into a cluster. The critters were all into the corral. Sorting went well. By then it was 10:00. Two big trucks were scheduled to be there at 10:00. No trucks. B called the dispatch to find out when the trucks would be there. Dispatch said what trucks? B said the ones I scheduled with you a week ago. Hmmmm no trucks available. On it went for a while. The two he had scheduled have the longer 3 axcel trailers that can haul 63,000. His truck is the standard older truck that hauls 49,000 pounds. He is like well lets get started with what we have. Put 80 calves on his truck. At some point during this B gets a call. One truck will be there in about 2 hours. I had taken my trailer because I had 3 calves in the mess. Forget my calves for now. Put a load on my trailer. I took off. While unloading his semi backs in. The driver tells me that B loaded a trailer and is on his way. The other truck had arrived and was loading. When I got back to the corral there was 68 calves still in the pen. B's semi gets to make another trip. While all this was going on B's banker was coming to make an inspection of B's cow numbers. Not one of those things you can't cancel if you want to stay in good graces with the banker.
But you have to admire someone who cusses about someone eloquently. I heard him say that XX trucking company had a dispatcher who was a one legged blind lesbian midget and she never had an issue getting trucks there on time. He didn't say that directly to the dispatcher because at that point he was still trying to get trucks.

Dang!
Were those calves to be sold and weighed after all that?

In our country you would be in trouble keeping calves on cows this late.
It's snowy, windy and cold here starting Monday (yesterday), and more to come.

Dang!
Were those calves to be sold and weighed after all that?

In our country you would be in trouble keeping calves on cows this late.
It's snowy, windy and cold here starting Monday (yesterday), and more to come.
Calves were all weaned 45 days ago +/-. They sell tomorrow. They will be on feed over night and they are use to eating hay. It was actually a nice day for being the middle of December.

Calves were all weaned 45 days ago +/-. They sell tomorrow. They will be on feed over night and they are use to eating hay. It was actually a nice day for being the middle of December.
That works. I thought they were cows and calves on the road. My mistake.
They should make B some money!

That works. I thought they were cows and calves on the road. My mistake.
They should make B some money!
There were cows and calves in the road. There was about 200+/- sale calves, about 80 registered calves (both Angus and Charolais), and 80-100 fall pairs. It was an assortment. They all got put there because up until about a week ago there was grazing for them there. There was 3 of my calves too.

Did you get your 3 calves sorted or did they just go with the group?
They just got sorted into the fall pairs on Tuesday. Too much going on to worry about them then. I will take them to La Grande today along with those two MIA pairs that showed up. Thought about just bringing them here but I am pretty full and they don't match up well with what I have here.

Did you get your 3 calves sorted or did they just go with the group?
We discussed sending them. Actually that is why I had my trailer there. But we figured have 3 calves with orange ear tags and right rib brand mixed in with 200+ calves with yellow ear tags and a left hip brand might be too complicated for the sale yard staff.