shelter ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Anybody got any cheap and easy ideas for shelter? i need to construct a little covering to provide enough shade for a little treeless paddock that i can put 3 horses in or a few cows/bulls/pairs. it would be GREAT if it could be portable as well but doenst have to be. would plant a tree or two but need some immediate effect, plus the animals would probably just eat them.

(more concerned about shade than rain and wind.)

The problem I see with anything portable is that if you can move so can the cows.

dun

A "T" shed with telphone poles as the upright?

It might not last too long - but four fairly tall corner post connected by 2 X 4's with some inside braces and a good tarp should work. I did that until I got my barn built.

Yup.

Go cut down about 6 cedar trees. Plant the posts in the ground.

Use some 2x8's to span the front and the back.

Lay some cedar rails over them from front to back - then put some old tin down on top. Finish off the walls with some vertical scrap lumber.

Windproof and waterproof.

I have one that is 15 feet deep / 30 feet wide / 7 foot high at the back / 14 foot high at the front.

All numbers are a guess - I built it with a chainsaw, a hammer and that is all. Did not even use a tape measure - just the old mark one eyeball.

Total cost including second hand tin. 300 bucks - certainly no more than 500 bucks. Just a bunch of sweat.

Plain and simple and the tractor fits in the front to clean it out. I only clean it out once every three years or so - they sleep on the bedding pack in the winter.

You want a pic I will get daughter to take it - email it to you and you can post it. This weekend.

Bez!

We have a shed build on skids that can be pulled around with the tractor or on a trailer. There is a feed bunk along the back wall also. It's about 8ft deep, 7 ft tall in the front, and maybe 10 or 12 ft long. 6 full grown cows can fit in it at the bunk at a time. Not too hard to load it on a trailer with a couple comealongs and some pipes to roll the skids on, that's how we unloaded it too.

Bez!":3n39vgyp said:
Yup.

Go cut down about 6 cedar trees. Plant the posts in the ground.

Use some 2x8's to span the front and the back.

Lay some cedar rails over them from front to back - then put some old tin down on top. Finish off the walls with some vertical scrap lumber.

Windproof and waterproof.

I have one that is 15 feet deep / 30 feet wide / 7 foot high at the back / 14 foot high at the front.

All numbers are a guess - I built it with a chainsaw, a hammer and that is all. Did not even use a tape measure - just the old mark one eyeball.

Total cost including second hand tin. 300 bucks - certainly no more than 500 bucks. Just a bunch of sweat.

Plain and simple and the tractor fits in the front to clean it out. I only clean it out once every three years or so - they sleep on the bedding pack in the winter.

You want a pic I will get daughter to take it - email it to you and you can post it. This weekend.

Bez!

That sounds like what we are doing for our hersire donkey. He has shade, but should it storm, or when it gets cold, he will need shelter out of the wind and rain. Not that it will rain around here! :mad:

We have cedar posts and got lucky enough to have someone give us some R-panel. It will be 3 sided with the back wall facing north. Big enough to stand or lay down under. Haven't got the exact dimensions yet, but he's a mini, so it doesn;t have to be too big.

From time to time I haave used flax straw bales (round ones) pile them 2 high in a U shape put poles on top throw a cover on it and your away. Burn it in a couple years horses and cows dont eat it.

Carlos D.":277yptsp said:
From time to time I haave used flax straw bales (round ones) pile them 2 high in a U shape put poles on top throw a cover on it and your away. Burn it in a couple years horses and cows dont eat it.

The neighbor raises dogs and they stacked up three-tie bales and tarped them. Has held through 2 winters.

all i have is hay rolls. with my luck the animals would eat the bottom ones causing the top to fall over on them.

Beefy":17jglbdr said:
all i have is hay rolls. with my luck the animals would eat the bottom ones causing the top to fall over on them.

Yep, I can very easily see that happening! The bovine version of the drive through! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I intend to have pics this weekend.

Stand by.

Bez?

I am unable to oblige - daughter number one cannot find her - "camera down load cable" thingy.

Looks like I will have to wait until my return from my trip.

I will do this - you folks are just going to have to wait.

Apologies.

Bez?

Beefy":3jtf5uc9 said:
I have done that with pigs, just used sheep netting to stop them destroying the bottom bails, quite a few farmers in England use similar temporary shelters.

i could put the portable panels up around it but i would need them as soon as i did. lol.

I had a portable shed for a couple of show heifers a few years ago. A hurricane (I don't remember the name) flipped it over the fence. I righted it only to have Hurricane Ivan pick it up and smash it. No more portable shed...big pile of scrap lumber and tin! :p

Beefy, if you look in the horse talk area subject "pics", you will see a white tarp covering I have in the horse area. It is cheap @$99 at TSC. Goes up real easy and the tarp is easy to remove if the winds (hurricanes) get too high. I set six post in the ground and screwed the uprights to them to help hold them in place in normal winds. It has worked fine so far and I see the horses under it a lot. I keep free choice hay under it for them also. Just a thought.

Latest posts