Ideas on pig water troughs?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I have been through a few water trough ideas with pigs. Cattle mineral buckets turn into a mud mess after they step in them, tried a barrel, cut it out on the middle but some of the hogs had trouble putting their heads in. What do other people use?

I can tell you my worst idea. I had an old tub that had a few holes in it. I made a frame out of 2 x 6's a few inches wider than the tub. Mixed and poured concrete a few inches thick in the bottom and set the tub in. Poured the concrete up to the rim of the tub and let it cure a few days. Of course, I forgot to grease the boards and the tub, so I had to cut the tub out. This made one heck of a trough that they never turned over, only I couldn't move it.

Later I got smart and put bulkheads in 55 gal barrels and screwed nipples into them. I didn't have running water so I filled the barrels up from a hose.

I agree on nipples some but I just cut barrels out big enough they can reach and drink in. When there small they will climb in the water if they don't have a wallowing hole. I build in wallowing holes in each pen. I noticed after they get any size they drink water in the wallow hole and rarely drink out the troughs anymore.

:oops:
RanchMan90":k89as3bq said:
Water nipple with a 3/4" fitting in a plastic barrel.

That works for me when were small after got size they got rough ripped them out. The best I've found is a nipple attached to a water tote

I always secured the nipple and pipe firmly to the pen so that it couldn;t be moved.

dun":1mi1e80d said:
I always secured the nipple and pipe firmly to the pen so that it couldn;t be moved.

Ahh... Mines got electric inside and out pen each pens 80' on each side and square so tried it on the inside. Strapped to a tree.

Latest posts