Ranch Ideas in California

Help Support CattleToday:

Los2324

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for some ranch property here in California. I live in LA. I would like to have a ranch within a reasonable commute (3-4 hours away). I would not quit my full time job but on the weekends i would like to drive down and farm and eventually raise Angus cows.

Anyone have ideas of towns in California where i can look into?

Are you looking to lease land or purchase? Have you tried looking at Big Bear or Fresno area? Not sure how things work out that way. I have relatives living in LA and Hollywood and when I visit and mention farming they mention these areas.

Good luck...
How many head are you looking to run? I just sold a bunch of ground in CA and moved to OK and I can tell you first hand that buying cattle ground in CA for what cattle ground is really worth either takes very large scale or buying places that nobody else wants to tackle.

CP is not wrong.
My family ranches in Central California. I'd be glad to offer any advice/help that I can.

My first thought is move North. (Born and bred in SF Valley)

However, not far from you is Antelope Valley. Palmdale, Lancaster (West of those) try Quartz Hill area. It's been a while but they used to be spacious with good people. Or from the bottom of the Pass (above Tragic Mountain) northward is a lot of farm land.