She got in my eye-should have paid better attention

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score

You know when you go to the sale barn all the things you have to look for when they go in the ring. How many months bred, how old, bag, etc... We try to go early to look at them in the pens but weren't able to so we had to look at everything real quick. Well, we forgot one thing. Yep, guessing weight. The bred girls were going by the pound. We bid .73/lb. She ended up weighing 1,530 lbs! .73/lb that comes out to too much ! I think I'll pay attention to weight next time.

:lol: :lol:

I did something similar in '79.

I have also come home with some really good buys, but they had olympic jumping ability.

It helps if you just sit through lots of sales as a spectator.

Gate Opener":t5whkib9 said:
:)

I don't know if I could do that. My hand keeps wanting to go up. :D

I did that too a few times. Recently down at Meridian. Bought some brangus heifers pretty cheap too. Prices were just too good with no one buying.

Friends will ask you, "taking a trailer with ya?" with a big ole grin. If you say "nope" they'll ask, "you making TWO trips?" :lol:

Gate

I hope she milks for you, most times when a girl shows up at the sale barn looking that good. She doesnt milk.
Now if she can raise a big calf and keep that kind of condition.
You will do fine even at that price.
Time will tell. I hope I am wrong
MD

backhoeboogie":3hwm8o8s said:

I have also come home with some really good buys, but they had olympic jumping ability.

You need to move to the Brush country and get a place that's game fenced. Or claim Wildlife Management status and get the goverment to build you one.Z

MillIronQH":1nylvyus said:
backhoeboogie":1nylvyus said:

You need to move to the Brush country and get a place that's game fenced. Or claim Wildlife Management status and get the goverment to build you one.Z

Too many fires around here to put up those fences. Game gets trapped and killed because they couldn't get over the fence.

It is easier to just load the jumpers back up and haul them back to the sale. Leave the previous auction tag on their backs and folks know they were brought back for a reason. The hamburger market will buy them.

Gate Opener":2lndfbty said:

You know when you go to the sale barn all the things you have to look for when they go in the ring. How many months bred, how old, bag, etc... We try to go early to look at them in the pens but weren't able to so we had to look at everything real quick. Well, we forgot one thing. Yep, guessing weight. The bred girls were going by the pound. We bid .73/lb. She ended up weighing 1,530 lbs! .73/lb that comes out to too much ! I think I'll pay attention to weight next time.
nice looking heifer.you have $1110 for her not a bad price.because now most cows an heifers you see now are going for $1200 to $1500.

rattler":1mg2h3s6 said:
Gate Opner she sure is a purty thing.H many month,s bred is she?I realy like her look.

rattler

Thanks. She was 6 months bred when we bought her, she is now about 7 months along. She is a 6 year old cow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gate

I hope she milks for you, most times when a girl shows up at the sale barn looking that good. She doesnt milk.
Now if she can raise a big calf and keep that kind of condition.
You will do fine even at that price.
Time will tell. I hope I am wrong
MD

I hope she will do well also. I know she eats like a big ole pig!

Backhoeboogie, I think I would be making that 2nd trip also. :D

Bigbull, I feel a little better now. We bought pairs about a week before her for around $950(not as nice as her). When I saw the total on her I thought, we could have bought a nice pair.

Do ya'll think she is a Gert of sorts?

I think you did OK. She will give you a few calves and bring a good price when you cull her.

She could have some gert in her one my buddy,s had a couple that looked a lot like her ill see if i can find s pic.
rattler

Lower hind leg color and forehead, plus overall size, makes me think there is probably some beefmaster in the mix.

I forgot about Beefmaster. Yea, her color is not dark like the Gerts and she doesn't have the really big legs like them. But do Beefmasters get that deep?

Gate Opener here is a pic
HPIM0188.JPG
of a gert cross heifer

Gate Opener":3kvqmzdz said:
I forgot about Beefmaster. Yea, her color is not dark like the Gerts and she doesn't have the really big legs like them. But do Beefmasters get that deep?

I have seen some really deep BMs. She could be a cross with a SG and BM. She just looks a bit BM to me.

she looks beefmasterish to me too or either redbrangusx. with one weighing that much at a weekly sale at a salebarn i would be kind of leary of her. i'm betting she raises a helluva calf and doesnt breed back until the following year.

With the drought and people short on hay, I think the person didn't want to feed Miss Piggy through the winter. Smart person. :)

Up here bred cows are usually sold by the head...
Bought a three month bred 1050# Herf heifer for $625 before Christmas. Same cow will sell for $800-$900 in March.
DMc

Latest posts