She got in my eye-should have paid better attention

Help Support CattleToday:

We have one sale barn that sells by the lb and the other by the head. My favorite sale barn is the one that sells by the head. I've said that I'm not going back to the other one.

You did well with that heifer. Was the sale you went to the last one before the Christmas?

Several of the sale barns here in East Texas sell the stocker cows by the pound. It is better for the sellers (the guys paying the commission) and they usually start them for slaughter prices and if any body gets in above that they do not have to stop and back up.

Opener....went to Stockland in Davenport...been tracking the prices for a few years and they have been running pretty much true to the season...except for the BSE scare we had a couple of years ago, prices dropped like a rock but recovered in a few weeks.
DMc

You mean they don't POST the weight while she's in the ring?? Every sale I've been to, they weigh them prior to entering the ring & the weight on the scale is posted as she is being weighed & they lock the number on the screen while she/he/it is being sold.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":30iqmgld said:
Every sale I've been to, they weigh them prior to entering the ring & the weight on the scale is posted as she is being weighed & they lock the number on the screen while she/he/it is being sold.

They do at the sales I've been to, but sometimes when I get destracted by a particularly pretty face (cow) and she's only going to be in the ring for maybe 30 seconds, I don;t alwasy look at the weight.

dun

Jeanne, I hit 6 different sales in this area pretty regular this time of year. Most all of them sell bred cows by the head. If they prices aren't there, they swap over to by the pound. They'll sell pairs and 3 for 1's the same way, or split them and go by the pound. It all depends on whose there and how many are bidding.

All of them weigh the cows on the way out of the ring, post bidding.

Gate, she a nice cow. I can see beefmaster in her. I have one that looks pretty close to her. You ought to have really nice calves out of her.

All of them weigh the cows on the way out of the ring, post bidding.
Ouch! Ours come thru the scale on their way INTO the ring. No guess work. Most bred cows or pairs are definately sold by the head. Of course, I'm talking about the local sale barns, not PB sales.

Our sale barn weights going OUT of the ring also. I've never been to a sale that weighed before they were bid on. On stockers and pairs they will try to sell by the head first and if they don't get a good bid they will pound them out and split the calf. Seen that happen a lot on bad bag and broke mouth cows people were trying to sell as pairs to get more $ knowing that cow couldn't support the calf. I bought a calf one night from a split like that, the cows teats were bigger then a coke can. Poor little guy had to be carried into the ring - I gave $5 for him and really tried to get him to live, I tubed him as soon as I got him home, but he didn't make it through the day.

sidney411":2u0y2052 said:
Our sale barn weights going OUT of the ring also. I've never been to a sale that weighed before they were bid on.

Same here -- ours all weigh on the way out. Makes the buyers really good at estimating weights. :lol:

I've sat next to guys that could guess within 5lbs on some calves.

milkmaid":193cm722 said:
sidney411":193cm722 said:
Our sale barn weights going OUT of the ring also. I've never been to a sale that weighed before they were bid on.

Same here -- ours all weigh on the way out. Makes the buyers really good at estimating weights. :lol:

I've sat next to guys that could guess within 5lbs on some calves.

In my area they weigh on the way in. Weighing on the way out would be advantageous to the buyers since the last 2-3 lbs. would be scared out of them while in the ring. :lol:

Up here at bred cow auctions they sell by the head. If they drop below maket price the auctioner yells wiegh her up and the packer buys her. Main reasons bred cows go to kill is soft mouth, overly fat, short bred, horns, she takes on the ring man, sends him over the rails :shock: or just plain ugly :roll:

mnmt

All the barns around here weigh when you drop them off, post weights when going thru ring. Been to a couple sales where the ring was the scales but never an out weigh sale. There's enough shrink on the inweights, wouldn't want to think about the outweights, specially if it's a large run.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2on447ft said:
All the barns around here weigh when you drop them off, post weights when going thru ring. Been to a couple sales where the ring was the scales but never an out weigh sale. There's enough shrink on the inweights, wouldn't want to think about the outweights, specially if it's a large run.

cfpinz
all of the sale barns here in texas weighs the cattle as they exit the sale ring.

cfpinz[/quote]all of the sale barns here in texas weighs the cattle as they exit the sale ring.[/quote]

Exactly. Even if they are sold by the head, they still get weighed on their way out.

Now, what do you think is the reasoning behind the sale barns weighing before or during or after? Why don't they just all do it the same way?

Gate Opener":2dw3ihl8 said:
all of the sale barns here in texas weighs the cattle as they exit the sale ring.[/quote]

Exactly. Even if they are sold by the head, they still get weighed on their way out.

Now, what do you think is the reasoning behind the sale barns weighing before or during or after? Why don't they just all do it the same way?[/quote]the wighing before or after they sale is just the way the sale barn is setup.if you weigh before then you can figure your highest amount you can give pre pound to come out on the cow.

Most all of the sale barns in Texas, weigh cattle after the sale. There are a few exceptions and these barns are close to the Red River. Seems the Okies cannot guess weights and have to have the cattle pre-weighed. Most calf buyers can get close but occassionally even the best ones miss a calf's weight too much to fit on an order.

I know one calf buyer who is from Texas who told me that the scales broke that weighed the cattle prior to sale in Durant, OK one Tuesday, all of the OK buyers got up and left. Just he and another Texas buyer left as they went back and weighed cattle on the way out like in the old days.

Latest posts