Sharing some pics for the baldy lovers

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
I love this time of year.
baldy1.jpg

baldy2.jpg

I just love it when those baldy babies are brand new, their whites are so spanking white against the jet black. After the first crap on the head or rainstorm they never look so pristine again.

And they are just so cute.

Nice pics!

Katherine

Great looking cattle!
Im just wondering how you keep that condition on them with that grass.
No offense. Its a legit question. Where im from grass is hardly ever in short supply so condition is rarely an issue. But ive always wondered how the folks out in west texas keep cattle conditioned. Everytime i go out there I see a lot of dirt.

No offense taken. Actually there is a lot of grass there. It is a drier grass than you may be used to, but they do well on it. In the background, in between all that sagebrush, there is some pretty high dry grass. We keep some tubs out for them to help them get everything they can out of the grass. We are careful not to graze it too short so the root system stays deep and strong and comes back well next year. Some of our neighbors graze it down to the dirt. Also, we started calving later which helps. Last year we calved in February, which was fine weather-wise, but the cows looked pretty poor and didnt come back well after calving and we fed a LOT of hay. Calving later works better for us I think all the way around, but it causes a bit of a problem with Dad, because "we have never done it that way before". He is 80, I just tell him to shut up and cash his check, he gets over it in the fall!

Latest posts