Setting incoming calves up for success

Help Support CattleToday:

LJCC

Reaction score
What do you guys do to set up incoming calves up for success in the feedlot? I'm look for shot/vaccine, deworming, and implanting information for colored steers and heifers. They weigh 425lbs and have had no vaccines from the seller. Thanks for the information!

Beside the normal vaccinations, I think it's important to keep them from walking around bawling. I keep mine contained in a fairly small area. I also keep my best smelling hay in front of them to help with scours. I would also have a bottle of draxxin, nuflor, and micotil handy at all times.

Everything I keep as a weaner is a replacement heifers. Mine get Titanium 5 H+P, 8 way, Multi-min, Valbazin wormer, and a pour-on. We also freeze brand at weaning. I would avoid implanting any heifers I was going to keep as a herd replacement. Steers and heifers I was going to sell would most likely get get an implant. Everything I have is polled so dehorning isn't a issue.

We use the Valbazin drench because we have a fluke problem in this area. If you don't have fluke in MN you might use a cheaper drench like Safeguard.

I do the above. And I feed a medicated feed for bout a week for example Transition by Cargill. And I'd keep some Corid on hand as well. As Bigfoot said, full bellies make for a quieter calf. B&G

Make sure you have plenty of nuflor. And dont hesitate to dose any that seem puny

Milkmaid, here is a quote from the link you posted.

The important points on a high risk group of calves:
Modified-live BVD/IBR vaccination - e.g. Bovishield Gold, Triangle 5, Titanium, Pyramid, etc.
Clostridial vaccination - C&D and/or 7-way or 8-way
Tetanus vaccination if banding
+/- Pasturella/Mannhaemia vaccination - e.g. NuPlura, Presponse
+/- Intranasal BVD/IBR vaccine - e.g. Inforce3

I totally agree with most but have a question,
Why give both lets say Bovishield Gold and the Inforce. Both are modified live vaccines for BVD/IBR.
Second I do not like the idea of giving an antibiotic at the save time as a modified live vaccine. I know it has been discussed a lot but I feel the antibiotic could be killing or weakning the modified live vaccine. Your thoughts on both.

1. IN vaccines tend to have a quicker mucosal response - so the calf may produce antibodies in 2-3 days vs the typical 14 that most injectable vaccines require. In HR calves that are or will be exposed to pathogens soon, early protection would be of benefit followed by the later immune response by the injectable. Possible to have a better immune response through use of two vaccines by different routes also; I don't recall the latest literature.

2. BS and Inforce are both modified live viral vaccines. If they were modified live bacterial vaccines then maybe an antibiotic could be a potential issue. Antibiotics have absolutely no effect on viruses so it would not interfere with the vaccine response.

Apologies, didn't see your post - been a little hectic on this end and I'm only just going through posts and PMs.

milkmaid":150ajqy6 said:
1. IN vaccines tend to have a quicker mucosal response - so the calf may produce antibodies in 2-3 days vs the typical 14 that most injectable vaccines require. In HR calves that are or will be exposed to pathogens soon, early protection would be of benefit followed by the later immune response by the injectable. Possible to have a better immune response through use of two vaccines by different routes also; I don't recall the latest literature.

2. BS and Inforce are both modified live viral vaccines. If they were modified live bacterial vaccines then maybe an antibiotic could be a potential issue. Antibiotics have absolutely no effect on viruses so it would not interfere with the vaccine response.

Apologies, didn't see your post - been a little hectic on this end and I'm only just going through posts and PMs.
Thanks milkmaid. After more thought I guess I do agree with the #2 part. And sure cant argue with the #1 part either.

Latest posts