sequester question

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

texast

Reaction score
Can someone dummy this down for me lol? Please explain how this will effect cattle prices and such like. Thanks in advance

IF the sequester cuts take effect the gov will have deficit spending of $ 2.4 T instead of $2.5 T.
So in everyman terms:
Lets say you make $50k/year but your spending is $80k/year
you're going into debt by $30k/year
So you decide to get tough and cut your spending. Using the same % as the sequester cuts, you would reduce your spending to just a bit under $77k/year.

The sequester will likely have no effect on your daily life, in general, or cattle prices. :2cents:

At 5% cut across the board its $76K/yr. But other than that I agree with you.

I don't think the current admistration will miss out on taking advantage of a disaster and they will lay off people where it is most seen by the general public so it affects the voters personally. If you are a biologist overseeing the dune mouse on federal land you will not be affected but the fella earning $10/hour at the park gate will be laid off the the park will be closed.

texast":3g4bdjpy said:
Can someone dummy this down for me lol? Please explain how this will effect cattle prices and such like. Thanks in advance
The reason they say cattle prices will be hurt is because the inspectors could be laid off so the kill plants will not be able to slaughter every day like now. The news is already saying meat prices will rise because of it. Getting into everyones pocket with food prices will get the votes going.

USA population a little of over 300 million, Maxine Water a senator from California says we will lose 175 million jobs because of the sequester :dunce: :roll:

Watching and waiting. Our president loves doom and gloom. The biggest guy drama queen I have seen in my lifetime.

cowboy43":3obnozl5 said:
USA population a little of over 300 million, Maxine Water a senator from California says we will lose 175 million jobs because of the sequester :dunce: :roll:

Maxine is from the same tribe as B.O. Both idiots

cowboy43":3fjnt9x9 said:

This is devastating news for all of us. According to the Bureau of Labor and statistics there are only 140 million workers in this country. I guess the other 35 million she is talking about are those who Obama would have created a job for had reality not gotten in his way. Looks like I'll be out of a job here shortly and you will too. What are you going to do in your off time?

kenny thomas":1g9ccbve said:
texast":1g9ccbve said:
The reason they say cattle prices will be hurt is because the inspectors could be laid off so the kill plants will not be able to slaughter every day like now. The news is already saying meat prices will rise because of it. Getting into everyones pocket with food prices will get the votes going.

I think inspectors, like air traffic controllers, will get a few furlough days, and I don't know what impact that will have. Packers are looking for excuses to beat down fat cattle prices and consumers seem to be resisting any higher prices at Kroger.

As the spouse of a federal employee I find this thread to be truly reprehensible. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. my :2cents:

As an American taxpayer i find it TOTALLY reprehensible that we cannot find 2% to cut out of the INCREASE for next year without your husband losing his job.

We have a totally bloated federal Government with out of control spending and we have not passed a BUDGET for 5 years.

BTW i do not want to see your husband furloughed or his hours cut but why is it so bad for Governmrnt Agencies to have to tighten their belts for a change.

We all have to do it and FWIW there are some of us on here who are only as good as we are TODAY AND EVERY DAY and that;s how we keep our jobs. I DO NOT believe that this criteria applies to virtually any Federal job that i know of. They only need to not totally screw the pooch and they keep getting step raises and promotions then retire with pensions that most people can only dream of!

I am sure that this post just cost me a friend but you need to accept the fact that;

YOUR OX IS NOT THE ONLY ONE BEING GORED

3waycross":2k8ees08 said:
As an American taxpayer i find it TOTALLY reprehensible that we cannot find 2% to cut out of the INCREASE for next year without your husband losing his job.

I agree.

We have a totally bloated federal Government with out of control spending and we have not passed a BUDGET for 5 years.

I know

BTW i do not want to see your husband furloughed or his hours cut but why is it so bad for Governmrnt Agencies to have to tighten their belts for a change.

Many of the agencies HAVE tightened their belts.

We all have to do it and FWIW there are some of us on here who are only as good as we are TODAY AND EVERY DAY and that;s how we keep our jobs. I DO NOT believe that this criteria applies to virtually any Federal job that i know of. They only need to not totally screw the pooch and they keep getting step raises and promotions then retire with pensions that most people can only dream of!

My husband has eaten more hours over the years than imaginable. My husband has helped ranchers cut cattle out of barbed wire in extreme fire conditions and held them while they cried over the overwhelming loss they have experienced (on more than a handfull of occasions). My husband is now far enough up the food chain so to speak that he has to tell employees that their hours will be cut, many of these folks could make a lot better money in the private sector, but chose to work for the federal government because of their love of the work. I too work for a government agency although at a state level. In our business (we both work in the wildland fire business) we are ON everyday we are at work.

I am sure that this post just cost me a friend but you need to accept the fact that;

YOUR OX IS NOT THE ONLY ONE BEING GORED

I am not being selfish, I reiterate.........

My husband is now far enough up the food chain so to speak that he has to tell employees that their hours will be cut, many of these folks could make a lot better money in the private sector, but chose to work for the federal government because of their love of the work

Food for thought.......if you cut 5% of lets say research, can any of the rest of the 95% accomplish anything? Maybe, maybe not. If you cut 5% of FAA, can terroist organizations smell opportunity? Will it affect anyone besides the government employees? You bet your ass it will.

MistyMorning":36ypzvi5 said:
As the spouse of a federal employee I find this thread to be truly reprehensible. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. my :2cents:

As the daughter of a retired federal (civilian) employee, SIL to several retired federal (military) employees, and SIL to one still active duty (coast guard) federal employee....Why do you find this thread so offensive and reprehensible. :???:
A 4-5% cut SHOULD be astoundingly painless! It's pocket change and the politicians know it. It could be done very easily without one single job cut, furlough, or pay cut. It's just more expedient to the agendas of some (to remain nameless) to spread their :bs: doom & gloom if we cut expenditures instead of instituting a trillion dollar tax increase. Sorry, but there aren't enough rich folks out there to cover that much in taxes!
my :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts