Sensation vs. Victor 719T calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
There was a lot of buzz about the new Genex Hereford bull a while back.

How did your Sensation calves turn out, and how do the retained heifers compare to Victor 719T ?

I will be glad when my son graduates from Clemson in a couple of years so I can utilize Hereford Genetics into my Angus/Hereford criss cross system via AI. I think the Sensation bull is supposed to be a horned Churchhill bull and 719T is like the newest curve bender . 719 looks good in pictures, but his -3 CEM scares me. CEM is as important to me as CED. Have you checked out EF Foremost or NJW Trust?

I think the biggest thing going for Sensation is that he's a 3027 son. Until his numbers stabilize I'd stick with 719t, if your choosing between the two.

Ware with Select Sire, but I did not like any of their herf bulls.
Looking hard at Genex for cow makers, and those two stood out to me.

I am out of the loop with the AI Sires, but 719T would be a good choice for cows IF there are absolutely no chances of vaginal prolapses in the daughters. Otherwise I would go with Sensation. I wouldn't mind a son of Sensation in the future for heifers.

Of those two bulls my vote would go to Sensation. I used another Genex bull, 0132X, and should get a few from him in March.

So far have calved 13 heifers this year. 3 719T's One small and vigorous. One easy pull with swelled up nose. One hard pull with a BIG head. Have 3 more 719t bred heifers yet to calve that are on day 285 of gestation (not a good feeling right now). 10 SAV Bismarcks all finished and came unassisted. I realize its a tiny sample size and they are commercial angus cows so there may be some heterosis working here but it's probably enough to keep us from using 719t again.

Stocker Steve":s88z2ans said:
Ware with Select Sire, but I did not like any of their herf bulls.
Looking hard at Genex for cow makers, and those two stood out to me.

If you are looking for cow makers from the Hereford sires offered by Genex have you tried using Revolution 4R yet? We love the daughters we have had by him and if we were to ever let one go someone would have to offer us top dollar for us to sell as we think that highly of them right now based off the ones we have and knowing how they are performing in other herds. You'll find his daughters usually sell pretty high on Hereford sales too as people that have used him know what great cows his daughters are making.

What kind of traits are you looking for out of a Hereford bull? Are you limited to just using Genex for acquiring semen or does it matter? There are a few other bulls I have some favorable opinions on depending on what you are looking for and if it matters how/where you get your semen.

SPH":287kou8a said:
What kind of traits are you looking for out of a Hereford bull? Are you limited to just using Genex for acquiring semen or does it matter? There are a few other bulls I have some favorable opinions on depending on what you are looking for and if it matters how/where you get your semen.

Locally we have Genex and Select Sire available. We are looking for a cow maker to use on black or red angus cows - - contributing to good disposition, easy keeping, fertile, females...

Stocker Steve":2828y19w said:
SPH":2828y19w said:

Locally we have Genex and Select Sire available. We are looking for a cow maker to use on black or red angus cows - - contributing to good disposition, easy keeping, fertile, females...
For Genex Revolution 4R is a great cow maker. His females have been very popular in the Hereford breed, he's the top registration sire in the breed right now and just from the use we've had out of him we really like the calves we get out of him and his females are turning out to be some good cows. 719T is a good bull, I know of some people using Masterpiece and Worldwide but I don't know much about them. Strategy is a good pairing, he is an On Target 22S x Revolution and both of those sires have been siring some pretty good cattle. 22S is the sire of On Target 936 who is becoming a pretty popular bull too. For Select Sires Redeem and Durango are 2 pretty well used sires. I don't like their Hereford lineup as much as I do Genex, I like the genetic pairing that the Resource bull has but I am not too fond of the picture they have of him.

Masterpiece calves seem slow at the start for growth compared to his numbers. They do look well built. The ones I have had seemed to really start to take off at around 600lbs. Nice frame and nice gain. I don't know that I would keep heifers from him, but would use again for terminal calves.

Worldwide calves are awesome! Thick and long. Easy calving as well. They come small and spunky. Grow like weeds, but won't be large framed. I like heifers from him and like to use him on heifers.

Still a believer that the 936 bull is one you are going to see a lot more of in years to come and proof that his progeny is in high demand is the top bull on the Rausch sale yesterday sold for $60,000 which as a 936 son out of a Revolution cow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqbOHg_pW68

They'll post their sale results soon but heard the 936 calves were most of the top sellers. Yearling bulls averaged $8065 and 2 year old bulls $7367 so we're glad we were able to breed a good 936 bull out of one of our own cows that we're planning to use because sounds like if we wanted to buy one off their sale it would have cost us a pretty penny. Even on our state breed association sale last week the lone 936 sired bull on the sale went for $5400 and another that was a 936 grandson by a bull the breeder had bought from Rausch went for $5600 which both were over the bull average on that sale of $5121. We kept the only 936 heifer we got from last year's calf crop who happens to be out of a 1st calf Revolution daughter so we're curious to see how she turns out as a cow especially with the Revolution breeding on the maternal side.

There are a few Polled Hereford bulls I've seen some nice calves out of lately that aren't owned/offered by sire studs but ones that definitely are on the radar for using AI, 3 of them are NJW bulls in Trust, Hometown, and Homegrown. All 3 of those bulls are out of the same dam too. Another one is the KJ Redeem bull. IMO can't limit yourself to getting semen just from the big 4 sire studs, there are some really good bulls you can get semen on if you can buy directly from a breeder that you may have to pay some shipping costs on but if you have a way to store it those bulls will probably give you some better calves than most of the ones you can get from the sire studs. We're pretty fortunate that we're just 15 miles from Hawkeye Breeders so we have a place we can have semen sent to for storage if they don't already have some on hand to release, realize not everyone has that luxury though.

Stocker Steve":rwzz0fqc said:
Aaron":rwzz0fqc said:
IF there are absolutely no chances of vaginal prolapses in the daughters. quote]

Have never seen one. Am I doing something wrong?

Spoke too soon. Had to sew up two this spring. A heifer with a big bull calf and a Hereford cow we had purchased.

I've only got one Sensation calf out if a very good cow, but I've seen a few more out of a very good herd of cows and so far I've yet to see one that is sensational.

KNERSIE":26v24y1e said:
I've only got one Sensation calf out if a very good cow, but I've seen a few more out of a very good herd of cows and so far I've yet to see one that is sensational.

Have you seen any Worldwide calves?

Latest posts