Semen tank went dry but still cold is semen still good.

Help Support CattleToday:

pnw09

Reaction score
I went to one of my semen tanks the other day and it Had no nitrogen left in it. I quickly transferred the semen into one of my other tanks the semen was cold as well as the canisters were still frosty and the plug was still cold too. When I put the semen into the tank with nitrogen it did boil a little bit. I am going to get the semen looked at underneath a microscope to see if it is still good but that won't be for a while yet. What are the chances this semen is still good?

My guess is dead as hammer. Might as well look at one straw under a microscope.

if there was no vapor when you pulled the stopper on the tank then it will be no good.

If the canisters were still frosty it's not a total loss and really it probably didn't hurt that much. You probably did some damage but you didn't kill it all. Use two straws per cow... Much better than dumping.

Had semen checked by a vet and it is 2 % alive.

hopalong
Dump it,,had one get down to 1 " of nitro,,, most straws were gone!

Hopalang, As I understand it as long as there is Nitrogen in the tank even 1 inch the whole tank is still cold and semen not damaged at all it is when Nitrogen is totally gone when the tank actually warms up. According to our local Semex Rep.

What if a cane was left out for 30-60 seconds?
Had a acquaintance who's adult son was looking for one last cane left in a tank that was losing too much liquid nitrogen too quick. So the transferred everything. When they checked their list, they were a cane short. They found it in the canister they had laid out on the table. The tab was gone and in their rush they didn't see the one cane until almost a minute later. They dropped it back in the new tank and asked me what I thought. I didn't know what to tell them.

I took my tank to a local jr college and had them run tests,,,,less than 10% was good,,,i couldn't justify keeping ANY at that percentage,, and that was with about 1" of nitro, been told by others including semen suppliers not to let it get below 4" to be on the safe side..this was several yrs ago since then I take no chances,,fortunatly at that time I did not have a lot of inventory and so my loss was only a $100 or so today it would be $1000's

hopalong":15svc2nc said:
I took my tank to a local jr college and had them run tests,,,,less than 10% was good,,,i couldn't justify keeping ANY at that percentage,, and that was with about 1" of nitro, been told by others including semen suppliers not to let it get below 4" to be on the safe side..this was several yrs ago since then I take no chances,,fortunatly at that time I did not have a lot of inventory and so my loss was only a $100 or so today it would be $1000's
Hard to believe nitrogen was in tank & semen was bad. Not accusing you of lieing. Just know if vapor is still in tank, semen should be good. That is all that is in "shipper" tanks - just vapor - no liquid, other than what is obsorbed in the walls of the tank.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":41wnd2y9 said:
hopalong":41wnd2y9 said:
Hard to believe nitrogen was in tank & semen was bad. Not accusing you of lieing. Just know if vapor is still in tank, semen should be good. That is all that is in "shipper" tanks - just vapor - no liquid, other than what is obsorbed in the walls of the tank.

I would have to disagree about the shipper. I pour the liquid N2 out of the shipper tank into my tank before I send it back when I get semen sent. This has been my experance. I would go NUTS if I got a vapor only shipper tank.

BAR_R":1h8dnhk6 said:
I would have to disagree about the shipper. I pour the liquid N2 out of the shipper tank into my tank before I send it back when I get semen sent. This has been my experance. I would go NUTS if I got a vapor only shipper tank.
There are 2 kinds of shippers. Most are the dry shippers in which the ln2 is absorbed into the material inside the tank. I haven;t seen a wet shipper since the late 70s

Every straw I use is shipped to me in a vapor shipper. We use little frozen ampules with blue liquid in them to tell if it's still good. If the liquid is still frozen in the top half then you're fine.

Latest posts