Wrong but consistant

Help Support CattleToday:

@clovlanfarms ; The vets here do hundreds of dairy animals on many farms. They can tell the sex on embryos and many of the registered herds of dairy cows I test do sex the calves in utero... they can accurately sex them up through about 90+/- days... then it is harder to tell the sex... most do the preg checking and sexing at 50-80 days....
I think that our vets have very good ultra sounds and are very proficient at doing it. My preferred vet can pick up a pregnancy at 25 days sometimes, but we prefer to wait for 30 to be real confident of it...and they cannot pick up the sex that early... has to be over 45 days to be pretty accurate but most want to recheck at the 55-75 day range to be more confident of the sex.... there are several 150-400 cow dairies around here, that I test for... and some much larger ones including one I test that has over 600 on test.... and he does quite a few of them, there are also a couple local vets that specialize in ET work, so I think that they have the right kind of ultrasounds, not "cheep ones" ....

@clovlanfarms ; The vets here do hundreds of dairy animals on many farms. They can tell the sex on embryos and many of the registered herds of dairy cows I test do sex the calves in utero... they can accurately sex them up through about 90+/- days... then it is harder to tell the sex... most do the preg checking and sexing at 50-80 days....
I think that our vets have very good ultra sounds and are very proficient at doing it. My preferred vet can pick up a pregnancy at 25 days sometimes, but we prefer to wait for 30 to be real confident of it...and they cannot pick up the sex that early... has to be over 45 days to be pretty accurate but most want to recheck at the 55-75 day range to be more confident of the sex.... there are several 150-400 cow dairies around here, that I test for... and some much larger ones including one I test that has over 600 on test.... and he does quite a few of them, there are also a couple local vets that specialize in ET work, so I think that they have the right kind of ultrasounds, not "cheep ones" ....
u are right on days we do 30 days preg. check 55 on sex it worked so far.

Wow, around here we don't have many that do ultrasound and come to the farm. Regular old glove for this area.
Anyone used the blood test to preg check? Accuracy? Website(cattlestatsllc.com) says is 99.%. I have used them before to BVD test, good ppl to work with but never used the preg test. It was mentioned the other day and I'm considering it. Cost is about the same. Upside being that I don't have to schedule around vet, but will require extra help to run the testing while I run headgate and vaccines etc. I've heard of women that won't test positive on urine test, thought maybe cattle could be same in blood test.

So in the late fall early winter I bought 67 bred cows. They were preg check by the sale yard vets. I selected cows that were determined to have calves in February and March. There was 12 calves born in January. Here we are nearly at the end of March and it is looking like there will be 12 calves born in April (or maybe later). Hmmmmm
Oops

Latest posts