My cow just got bred, but supposed to be 3rd period

Help Support CattleToday:

Lonepinecattle

Reaction score
Hi, I have a cow that got bred last summer and have not seen a heat cycle since so assumed she was bred. Well yesterday saw the bull kinda following her, and today, actually watched the bull fully breed her. I have heard of cows having a "heat" cycle and mounting during pregnancy but it was just hormones. I have not actually heard of a cow being bred during a pregnancy. Is it possible?

They can have false heats and I've had cows get hunched a couple weeks before they calved - but by other cows or steers because I pull the bulls. It's quite possible she aborted. Only way to know for sure is to have her preg checked by either your vet or a blood test.

If she was not preg checked after breeding season last summer, she may not have been pregnant. Cows may not cycle for a variety of reasons. I have had cows also show signs of heat and let other cows ride them just like a standing heat. (no bull with my cows) If you can watch her for the next couple of days, she may pass her bloody discharge indicating an actual heat and therefor not be bred. Best way would be to actually have the vet preg check her.

Latest posts