Selling packaged beef straight off the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef":1krp1ril said:
OLF":1krp1ril said:
SRBeef":1krp1ril said:
Somewhere in between "organic" beef and "regular" supermarket beef is "Natural" beef. I think this makes a lot of sense. No antibiotics, no hormones/implants. Not a rigid definition but room to define your own approach to beef for your customers.

Do you put "Natural" on your label? My packer won't let us put natural, grassfed, hormone free, or antibiotic free on our label unless it is certified by the government. I think they're putting rigid definitions on everything now.

, I have "natural" on my label. I am not aware of any specific guidelines/definition/rules for "natural" beef. If there are some I will try to hold to them.

Actually I am impressed that your packer cares enough to have that sort of policy. Must be a good packer.

My main objective is to raise beef of a quality and in a way that I would want to buy and feed to my own family. I don't really care what it's called. "Natural" is just the closest thing around that seems to describe my goal in beef.

Jim

Yes, there are guidelines that need to and should be followed before anyone sells meat to costumes that think they are buying natural beef. I think these are things that should be looked into before one just jumps into something like this.

Workinonit Farm":kp66nxkz said:
LimiMan":kp66nxkz said:
You're right, grassfed beef dosent imply organic

Correct. Nor does it mean grass finished.

Katherine

You're right, it doesnt have to be just grass, it can be hay, some type of forage,silage, or grains in the vegatation state. They can never have grain.

The word natural on the label only signifies that the meat product has had minimal processing with no additives such as colorings and such added. It has nothing to do with how the live animal was raised or what it was fed, or antibiotics it was treated with.

options":1m5p7i8c said:
The word natural on the label only signifies that the meat product has had minimal processing with no additives such as colorings and such added. It has nothing to do with how the live animal was raised or what it was fed, or antibiotics it was treated with.

I dont think thats true. I dont believe any implant or antibiotics can be used and typically no ionphores can be used in the feed. Also no mammalain protien or by-products can be used in the feed and usually a afadavit must be signed by the producer. It also depends on whose natural brand you are selling your meat under.

LimiMan":1f99vc6u said:
options":1f99vc6u said:

I dont think thats true. I dont believe any implant or antibiotics can be used and typically no ionphores can be used in the feed. Also no mammalain protien or by-products can be used in the feed and usually a afadavit must be signed by the producer. It also depends on whose natural brand you are selling your meat under.

This is correct I have to have my calves certified all natural every yr and I have to keep all of my records for at least 3 yrs the main thing with all natural is NO implants,No Antibiotics,and nothing like Bovatech or rumensin

I recently saw a brand advertising "Wild Caught Shimp and Grassfed Beef". That was a new one on me. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more ideas in the future. Sure would like to get a tag for the truck saying Eat More Wild Caught Shrimps. :nod:

LimiMan":li6ot6ob said:
options":li6ot6ob said:

See USDA
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Me ... /index.asp

A natural brand has nothing to do with the word natural on the label.

Angus Cowman":321rdbo7 said:
LimiMan":321rdbo7 said:
options":321rdbo7 said:

This is correct I have to have my calves certified all natural every yr and I have to keep all of my records for at least 3 yrs the main thing with all natural is NO implants,No Antibiotics,and nothing like Bovatech or rumensin
See USDA

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Me ... /index.asp

Natural calves are different than Natural meat.

The folks the that buy all natural calves will have you sign a paper that says your calves have no antibotics no hormones no medicated minerals.

Angus Cowman":1bnnl8yo said:
LimiMan":1bnnl8yo said:
options":1bnnl8yo said:

AC can you tell me who is certifying your animals and provide a link to their certification process. I am aware that various companies and packers have their own definitions, programs and requirements for "Natural" but I'm not aware of any gov't requirements other than the "minimaly processed" statement regarding natural anything. Are you getting any type of premium for your certified calves?

Jogeephus":1bffy8co said:
I recently saw a brand advertising "Wild Caught Shimp and Grassfed Beef". That was a new one on me. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more ideas in the future. Sure would like to get a tag for the truck saying Eat More Wild Caught Shrimps. :nod:
MOST people don't care or know where their shrimp or beef comes from !! :tiphat:

talldog":22cowx9n said:
Jogeephus":22cowx9n said:
MOST people don't care or know where their shrimp or beef comes from !! :tiphat:

True, but the ones that are willing to pay top dollar want to know.

Tennessee is just now starting a new program called "Tennessee Natural Beef". It is a certification. The rules are: 1. No antibiotics ever administered to cattle within the program. 2. No artificial hormones and/or growth promotants ever administered to cattle within the program. 3. No avian or mammalian by-products in feed ever(except milk and milk supplements) that is fed to cattle within the program.4. Farmers muct be Tennessee Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) certified and adhere to sound animal husbandry and humane care guidelines as outlined by the Tennessee Cattlemen's Association. 5. Program cattle must be born, raised, and finished within the borders of the State of Tennessee. Animals can be processed out of state. 6. If custom slaughtered, no artificail colorings or preservatieves can be applied to meat products and meat must be minimally processed (cuts or ground) 7. Farmers that use the USDA's FSIS labeling for retail cut sales must submit a label or copy of their label along with FSIS approval to use that label.

You are subject to an audit of all records, The animals have to be I.d. with ear tags, brands, or other id methods as approved by the TDA. Producers should keep medical records to document animals that have been treated and those that have not. Producers should keep adequate record of their feed purchases, and store feed in acceptable areas. Farmers should purchase no feed that will be fed to program animals if that feed is medicated or treated with prohibited substances, including milk replacer for calves. Producers should keep sales records of animals when snimals leave the farm. All sales information will be held confidential, but may be requested to determine eligibility. Records will be evalusted by an on-site audit performed by an suthorized State Of Tennessee employee or representative. You must sign a validation agreement to agree to all the above and commit to honesty.
They will then market your beef via several avenues.

We're all looking for our niche to make money, but the REAL money in beef is made by those sellers that are selling grain fed, marbled meat. Look at some of the premium grade beef that is sold by "fine-dining" establishments and you don't see NOTHING about grass fed beef. Grain-Grain-Grain, with plenty of fat and marbling.

$25.00 per pound is a bargain compared to some of what that is selling for.

With that being said, I still finish mine with grass as much as possible, with a little of grain...

grannysoo":1yn0gz1r said:
We're all looking for our niche to make money, but the REAL money in beef is made by those sellers that are selling grain fed, marbled meat. Look at some of the premium grade beef that is sold by "find-dining" establishments and you don't see NOTHING about grass fed beef. Grain-Grain-Grain, with plenty of fat and marbling.

With that being said, I still finish mine with grass as much as possible, with a little of grain...
I respect your opinion but----- I think it's a waste of money !! For me it's good grass, hay and good fresh water !
To each her own, said the lady, when she kissed the cow !!!! :banana:

talldog":1y0zyvmx said:
grannysoo":1y0zyvmx said:
We're all looking for our niche to make money, but the REAL money in beef is made by those sellers that are selling grain fed, marbled meat. Look at some of the premium grade beef that is sold by "find-dining" establishments and you don't see NOTHING about grass fed beef. Grain-Grain-Grain, with plenty of fat and marbling.

I respect your opinion but----- I think it's a waste of money !! For me it's good grass, hay and good fresh water !

I think it's a waste of money too. Notice how I said I finish mine...

But the fact remains that the prime grain-fed beef is the really expensive stuff.

talldog":1ztovuzt said:
grannysoo":1ztovuzt said:

Absolutely, to each his own. I raise them on grass for 15 months and then pack as much grain into them as I can for 90 days. I love a juicy, fatty steak.

For our niche, we want to be 'customer accredited' rather than 'government accredited'. Our customers are encouraged to visit the farm and see where the calves are born, where they are raised, what they eat and how they are cared for. We don't hide anything, I'll show them exactly what they are getting. I'll show them the steer that their beef will come from, but many don't want to know quite that much.

OLF":1iv71gft said:
...to each his own. I raise them on grass for 15 months and then pack as much grain into them as I can for 90 days. I love a juicy, fatty steak.

For our niche, we want to be 'customer accredited' rather than 'government accredited'. Our customers are encouraged to visit the farm and see where the calves are born, where they are raised, what they eat and how they are cared for. We don't hide anything, I'll show them exactly what they are getting. I'll show them the steer that their beef will come from, but many don't want to know quite that much.

Well said. I like your approach = its about the same as mine. I have not had a lot of pure "grassfed" steaks that I want to remember...it may be possible to produce a good one but not easy nor common.

This is one of the reasons why I am looking towards finishing them by grazing standing corn in the fall/winter.

I've had people tell me that I should finish them on harvested corn in a concrete feedlot for best taste so they don't get too much exercise. I have also had folks tell me that my cattle don't get enough exercise....

I'm looking at grazing unharvested standing corn as a middle ground solving a number of problems including lots of cow days grazing at a tough northern time of year and reducing amount of purchased hay needed. Yet still producing tasty, well (IMF) marbled but not excessively (backfat) fat beef.

Jim

Latest posts