Selling our farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
We are selling our farm and moving our herd to PA. At least it appears so. Haven't found a place in PA yet but, we're looking and the people are ready to buy our farm. Happy and sad at the same time

How exciting. Let me know what that's like. I may do that soon myself.

Still close to what family is left aroundhere and land prices!!!

I know I could head to Iowa, Indiana, etc but, what worries me more than the climate learning curves is that you need to establish yourself at a bank and I know of someone who lived just across the county from me that paid cash for a place in Iowa after selling his farm and insurance business here (keep in mind that he wasn't hurting) he couldn't get a bank to give him a line of credit for two years. They flat out told him that they've had seen people come there and then be gone in six months and it just doesn't work out until you've been around the area for a few years. In PA, we do a fair amount of business there now so It won't be as dificult

Herefordcross":nm0pr0h9 said:
We are selling our farm and moving our herd to PA. At least it appears so. Haven't found a place in PA yet but, we're looking and the people are ready to buy our farm. Happy and sad at the same time

I can understand that. It hasn't been all that long ago that we sold our ranch, and moved on to another place with a whole new set of challenges - just like you and your family are doing. You are facing a whole new situation - and it will be nerve-wracking, but also exciting, and filled with the promise of a whole new beginning for you and your family - all at the same time. I sincerely hope things work out to be everything you hoped for, and I wish you the very best in your new endeavor(sp?)! :)

I've found a good bank and yes there is farm credit. But, around here the people at farm credit don't know the difference between a heifer and bull. Herefor or Angus and so on and so forth.

Herefordcross":78zq5ysa said:
Still close to what family is left aroundhere and land prices!!!

I know I could head to Iowa, Indiana, etc but, what worries me more than the climate learning curves is that you need to establish yourself at a bank and I know of someone who lived just across the county from me that paid cash for a place in Iowa after selling his farm and insurance business here (keep in mind that he wasn't hurting) he couldn't get a bank to give him a line of credit for two years. They flat out told him that they've had seen people come there and then be gone in six months and it just doesn't work out until you've been around the area for a few years. In PA, we do a fair amount of business there now so It won't be as dificult

It's not just out of towners that are treated that way. When my husband was 16 he wanted to buy some cows. He was born and raised in the town, his dad has a big farm and car business and the bank wouldn't loan him any money.

Herefordcross":34kfqd8f said:
I've found a good bank and yes there is farm credit. But, around here the people at farm credit don't know the difference between a heifer and bull. Herefor or Angus and so on and so forth.

I would stay way away from Farm credit Services, I've heard alot of bad things about them.

GMN

Don't get me wrong Farm Credit here will throw money out to some and not others. They really like the ones that have FSA backing them up. Becasue if they go belly up then they still get their money

Herefordcross wife and I have been there and done that. Moved from Ms. to Ks. over a year ago and it has been a lot of fun and hard work. We say we're going to do it at least one more time before we kick the bucket. We moved the whole farm cows, some equipment, and lots of junk. :lol:

llcupit":7hdwdxnh said:
Herefordcross wife and I have been there and done that. Moved from Ms. to Ks. over a year ago and it has been a lot of fun and hard work. We say we're going to do it at least one more time before we kick the bucket. We moved the whole farm cows, some equipment, and lots of junk. :lol:

Wife and I spent some time in the Flint Hills this summer. If we ever leave here, Kansas is on the top of my list. Then probably Nebraska if this global warming thing catches on.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1dpplurb said:
llcupit":1dpplurb said:
Herefordcross wife and I have been there and done that. Moved from Ms. to Ks. over a year ago and it has been a lot of fun and hard work. :lol:

Wife and I spent some time in the Flint Hills this summer. If we ever leave here, Kansas is on the top of my list. Then probably Nebraska if this global warming thing catches on.

cfpinz

If you are worried about global warming you will want to beat the rush by moving to Canada!

Stocker Steve":hwwyc6t8 said:
cfpinz":hwwyc6t8 said:
llcupit":hwwyc6t8 said:
Herefordcross wife and I have been there and done that. Moved from Ms. to Ks. over a year ago and it has been a lot of fun and hard work. :lol:

cfpinz

If you are worried about global warming you will want to beat the rush by moving to Canada!

Excellent idea! Any country that produced Terry Clark has to be an excellent place to live.

cfpinz

Herefordcross, we made the move from WV to Pa in 1986, enjoyed Pa, but lost our lease after 6 years and moved on to NY. That when we suffered culture shock. :shock: :shock: Good luck. :)

No leases we're going to buy a place, that we can afford. NY, what's the growing season there? Two weeks?? :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What part of Pa. are you looking at?

South eastern, going today to look at two places one is twice the size of the other but, it is run down, the other has half the acres but, everything is perfect! House buildings all in good shape but, I haven't seen either one in person I'll let you know today.

I am just sick of dealing with the banks here and many other things. I hear some of you say to stay away from the banks! That's not just possible for us, I have another business and it's been succesful and no matter what line of work you're in you need to have a line of credit unless you have awesome cash reserves. Health problems have kept me from having those great cash reserves. I've always made things work out before and I will this time I feel sure.

Just wondering, are you looking to do beef, dairy, or crop? Again good luck. Keep us posted.

Herefordcross":26wwu70a said:
No leases we're going to buy a place, that we can afford. NY, what's the growing season there? Two weeks?? :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What part of Pa. are you looking at?

South eastern, going today to look at two places one is twice the size of the other but, it is run down, the other has half the acres but, everything is perfect! House buildings all in good shape but, I haven't seen either one in person I'll let you know today.

I am just sick of dealing with the banks here and many other things. I hear some of you say to stay away from the banks! That's not just possible for us, I have another business and it's been succesful and no matter what line of work you're in you need to have a line of credit unless you have awesome cash reserves. Health problems have kept me from having those great cash reserves. I've always made things work out before and I will this time I feel sure.

I agree you have to establish yourself with a good bank, and have access to a good line of credit with them. I don't know any people who do not have a Good Bank on their side, especially in the farming business, I would stay away from the Farm Credit Services though, once you get sucked in with them, impossible to get out. They are numbers people if your numbers don't match what they think they should be, they do not want anything to do with you, and if your numbers do match, watch out, they will loan you money, and more money, until all you are paying is interest, and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I had a friend who farmed in WI, was in with the Farm credit up there, it was insane how much money they were in debt-over half a million dollars, and for what to work 16 hours a day, milking cows--and at the end of the year not to be able to pay thier taxes, have to borrow money to pay them too. A sad depressing cycle for sure.

Anyways good luck with your move, and I hope you find a nicely priced place, with all that you want.

GMN

IT IT AGAINST FEDERAL LAW TO LOAN MONEY FOR TAXES OR INSURANCE! THUS ESCROWS ON MORTGAGES. So if they were borrowing money to pay taxes then, the lender and the borrower could have faced serious consequences!

Latest posts