Our county extension

Help Support CattleToday:

I have to wonder how much of this is an area or regional thing. Where I lived on the Washington coast there were some kids who would fit the picture painted here but certainly not the majority. Where I live now kids like that are rare. Maybe it is the more urban the environment is that kids are raised in the more of this occurs.

This is nothing new except that it is offered as a short course. One would think it wouldn't be needed in this day and time but evidently it is.
Yes, all that was taught at home back in my day, with pretty hard parental consequences when we forgot...

Here are 10 etiquette rules that everyone should master:

1. Use proper greetings

Always greet people with a smile and a hello. If you're not sure what to say, a simple "Hello, how are you?" will suffice. When meeting someone for the first time, it is also important to introduce yourself and make eye contact while shaking hands.

2. Say "please" and "thank you"

These are basic manners that show gratitude and respect. Always say "please" when making a request and "thank you" when receiving help from others.

3. Practice good table manners

This includes using utensils properly, keeping your elbows off the table, and chewing with your mouth closed. Also, wait until everyone is served before starting to eat.

4. Be mindful of your language

Avoid using foul language, especially in public places or around children. Use polite and respectful language at all times.

5. Respect personal space

Don't stand too close to people, and always ask before touching someone. Be aware of your surroundings and respect people's privacy.

6. Dress appropriately

Dress appropriately for the occasion and location, taking into account the dress code and cultural norms. If you are unsure of the dress code, remember that is always better to be slightly over-dressed than under-dressed.
Take care of your personal hygiene, including bathing regularly, brushing your teeth, and wearing clean clothes.

7. Be a good listener

Pay attention to what people are saying and show interest in their opinions. Avoid interrupting or dominating the conversation. Also, be respectful and considerate of other people's opinions.

Put your phone away!!!

Avoid using your phone or other electronic devices when in the presence of others, especially during a conversation or meeting.

9. Practice good communication

Be clear and concise when communicating with others. Avoid using slang or jargon that may be unfamiliar to the other person. Be mindful of your non-verbal communication, such as body language, as it can convey a lot of information about your intentions and emotions

10. Be punctual

Most of the above came from the writings of Emily Post decades ago, with a bit of update for the 21st Century.

Last edited:
Maybe they can have training on the proper way to act on a cattle blog since some seem to not like the differences in people. Or not. :rolleyes:

It's all well and good as long as the whole herd 'looks' all the same.
Many have been culled by the herdmaster simply because they didn't appear to be the same.

I try my best to be understanding and patient.
For many years I taught my employees that they don't know what that other person went through the night before, or what's going on their life.
You just never know what happened to these people 24 hours before; maybe they were up all night with a crying baby, or maybe something worse....so I do my best not to judge .

People's attitudes or opinions can change in an instant.

There's a man riding a Subway one evening and his two children were acting up and it got to the point where everyone was staring as a kid's were totally out of control and finally someone said to the gentleman; hey your kids seem to be a out of control !

And the gentleman said, yes I am very sorry, we just came from the hospital where their mother had passed away please excuse them they've never been through this before.

Tread lightly on people's feelings 🙂